Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..

Go down 
+20
TrogDawn
KissinMaiden
scottmitchell74
SAHB Healer
Temple of Blood
the sentinel
Chairman_Smith
SideShowDisaSter
iamrockerfun
kmorg
krokus
ghost
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
juanmiguel
T-Roy
Hamer12
ultmetal
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 12:35 pm

I thought Shotgun Messiah were really onto something with their VIOLENT NEW BREED record in '93 but they split up soon after. That record still sounds great today.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 12:36 pm

Artch

Equinox

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 1:00 pm

-Saxon
-Seduce
-TT Quick
-London
-Overkill
-Forbidden
-Malice
-Leatherwolf...etc...etc...
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 1:00 pm

kmorg wrote:
Equinox

I was actually just about to post that one!lol!

Do you happen to know if maybe their albums were just released in small numbers or something? They all seem to be so bloody hard to find!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 1:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I thought Shotgun Messiah were really onto something with their VIOLENT NEW BREED record in '93 but they split up soon after. That record still sounds great today.

I think they derailed themselves with that one. Their 1st two releases were more hair/glam/metal. VNB, while inovative, was too far removed from their original sound that the fans knew & loved. If I remember correctly, even the band members tried to distance themselves from their "glam roots", saying they were never a hair band. I think that was too big a leap for the fans and their fan-base bailed on 'em.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 1:06 pm

ultmetal wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:
Ultimatum-another great band that should be on a bigger label getting the props they deserve

Thanks bro. Well, let's hope the new CD does something when it's released. Be nice if a European label picked it up like Massacre did with "Mechanics". We'll see what happens.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but I played the song "Game Over" for some guys at the gym that are only casual rock and metal fans, only listening to popular stuff, and one of the commented, "Wow! How is it your guys aren't on a big label yet?" Not really sure I'd want to be, to be honest. I've seen big labels destroy bands. However, I wouldn't mind being on a label that at least had good distribution in the stores and put some advertising behind the band.

I sure do appreciate the support thrasher73.

ult

Yeah,I know what you mean about the bigger labels,but the wider distribution is what I was meaning by that.
Keep up the Good work my friend
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 1:13 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I think they derailed themselves with that one. Their 1st two releases were more hair/glam/metal. VNB, while inovative, was too far removed from their original sound that the fans knew & loved. If I remember correctly, even the band members tried to distance themselves from their "glam roots", saying they were never a hair band. I think that was too big a leap for the fans and their fan-base bailed on 'em.

Yea, that's true, it does stick out from the rest of their catalog... but it's my favorite S.M. album anyway!! (SECOND COMING is darn good too, but nothing prepared me for the smackdown that VIOLENT NEW BREED put on me when I first heard it.)

I guess it was simply too heavy for the hair-metal crowd (who were already dwindling away in 1993 anyhow) but not hard enough for the "industrial metal" crowd...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 1:50 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Ultimatum-another great band that should be on a bigger label getting the props they deserve

I agree I love what they are doin'.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 2:36 pm

Enuff Z'nuff

These guys got lumped in with the hair/glam bands (rightly so, going by their looks) but their music had little to do with the sex/sleaze of their LA counterparts at the time. These guys, musically speaking, were more pop-oriented, like Cheap Trick, with beautiful harmonies and catchy riffs. Even after grunge took over in the early 90's and most people had written these guys off, they continued to put out quality, Beatle-esqe pop rock.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 2:41 pm

Helloween
Cream
Frehley's Comet
Ace Frehley
Lordi
Quiet Riot
Steppenwolf
Ted Nugent (I don't know a lot a people who know him)
UFO
Voivod
WASP
Wolfmother
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 4:43 pm

ultmetal wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

Thanks bro. Well, let's hope the new CD does something when it's released. Be nice if a European label picked it up like Massacre did with "Mechanics". We'll see what happens.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but I played the song "Game Over" for some guys at the gym that are only casual rock and metal fans, only listening to popular stuff, and one of the commented, "Wow! How is it your guys aren't on a big label yet?" Not really sure I'd want to be, to be honest. I've seen big labels destroy bands. However, I wouldn't mind being on a label that at least had good distribution in the stores and put some advertising behind the band.

I sure do appreciate the support thrasher73.

ult

I love singing along to Never, thats an amazing song.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 4:45 pm

I wish Dio could build back his audience. Its weird how a Sabbath reunion fills up amiptheaters, but his solo band is still playing in clubs... hopefully the reunion helps him.

Maybe Dio needs to do a reality show? Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 5:20 pm

Dio is little as hell...His house look like a Smurf's house.

lol!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 5:29 pm

T-Roy wrote:
I'm gonna put a big fat target on myself and go out onto the ledge here!

VAN HALEN

JUST HERE ME OUT FIRST AND SHUT UP!!

I loved Halen big time from the beginning. I always felt they were the
one band that could have stood the test of time through the generations
of rock. Even surpassing the Stones and taking that mantle so to speak.
They ARE living legends for sure. But because of their childish and
selfish antic’s, they were legitimately dead with the Twister
soundtrack disaster (they were suppose to record the entire
soundtrack), which in my mind, could have catapulted them through a
whole other generation......but, Sammy didn't want to come back from
Hawaii, can't say as I blame him. I just think they COULD have been so
much more than they are now, which isn’t a “bad” place to be, but to
me, today, every time I here the name Van Halen……all I ever think about
is how disappointing they were. That’s there legacy for me.Crying or Very sad

I'm listening to VH as I read and respond and you are 100% correct!! In fact if you had not written it first, then I would have. They could have taken over the planet, but, o'l Diamond Dave, the walking talking living breathing airport lounge act and the petulant Vanhalen brothers couldn't do it for the sake of the music, fans, or the millions. I happened to listen to a youtube phone conversation of Eddie and Alex talking about the new tour and they basically blame everything, like they always have, on everyone but themselves. Good call on this one. And, I do love Vanhalen, I have since 1980 and got Women and Children First as a belated birthday present from my uncle, in case anyone is convinced otherwise by my tone. The love of their music accounts for the degree of vituperativeness in my argument.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 5:31 pm

My vote goes to Badlands. I just love these guys- quality songwriting and music. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 5:32 pm

ARTILLERY
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 5:40 pm

Anacrusis. "Screams and Whispers" was pure genius; but the rest of their stuff never got them anywhere. Are they still trying?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Definitely prefer to see Dio (and anyone else for that fact) playing clubs...more intimate setting,better sound,right there in your face.Alot of arenas are echo-city,too many drunks,dopes and its more of a carnival atmosphere i think.....also personally prefered playing bars/clubs when i was an active musician.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 5:56 pm

"Y & T" The San Fransisco Earthquakers!!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 10:19 pm

kmorg wrote:
SAVATAGE

No doubt.

Lillian Axe as well.

Saxon

Deliverance
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2007 10:49 pm

Ten

Good call on Clutch

Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 2:37 am

IronAge wrote:
-Saxon
-Seduce
-TT Quick
-London
-Overkill
-Forbidden
-Malice
-Leatherwolf...etc...etc...

I agree with the thrashers there, should have the same amount of fame as the big four...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 3:14 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Equinox

Do you happen to know if maybe their albums were just released in small numbers or something? They all seem to be so bloody hard to find!

I think the first one was pressen on 1000 CD units. Not sure how many vinyl copies though. It was first released on Laughing Deer Records, but RCA bought the rights.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 8:02 am

kmorg wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Equinox

I think the first one was pressen on 1000 CD units. Not sure how many vinyl copies though. It was first released on Laughing Deer Records, but RCA bought the rights.

Wow! Only 1000 CDs? That is a small pressing.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 4:46 pm

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:
kmorg wrote:
SAVATAGE

No doubt.

Lillian Axe as well.

Saxon

Deliverance
totally agree on Deliverance!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..   Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were.. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands that should have been much bigger than they are/were..
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next