Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Back in the day......"bummers"

Go down 
+22
metalheaded
krokus
CRIMSONMASK
DeathCult
Leatherface
DallasBlack
Lari
jstate
kmorg
Lurideath
tohostudios
Troublezone
manny
exact33
ultmetal
mc666
thejokeriv
EmoElmo
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
James B.
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Quote :
What's not to like? It's a mix of everything they did before, especially South of Heaven.

To me this was Slayer at a very weak point. The songs were fairly slow, the guitars lost their feel, it was more of Slayer going commercial and I am not into commercial type metal a lot. What's there to like about it?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Quote :
What's not to like? It's a mix of everything they did before, especially South of Heaven.

To me this was Slayer at a very weak point. The songs were fairly slow, the guitars lost their feel, it was more of Slayer going commercial and I am not into commercial type metal a lot. What's there to like about it?

South of Heaven is slower. And I don't hear anything commercial about it. Unless you think not mentioning Satan on every song is commercial. Razz

Quote :
What's there to like

The drums. And I also like the diversity...
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Reign In Blood was Overrated..sorry to say this, it was cutting edge way back then but I think Seasons in the Abyss PWNS it hard, it contains way more memorable songs than South Of Heaven and Reign in Blood Combined
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 5:51 pm

ultmetal wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Twisted Sister - Come Out And Play - loved Stay Hungry, loved YCSRNR, then they released Come Out And Play and covered "Leader Of The Pack" and the emo hipsters say "Epic Fail!"

I never understood why people were so offended by this cover when they had played this song live for a decade AND they had already recorded it once on their Ruff Cutts EP. It was definitely the wrong song to chose as a single. The band thought it would appeal to the old school fans. It didn't.

I never liked it when they did it the first time personally. However Ult, I think the vast majority of people who are offended by the cover on COAP aren't even aware it was on Ruff Cutts to begin with.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Iron Maiden- No Prayer For The Dying

Coming off of one of the best albums of all time, this mediocre platter was very disappointing. One of the only times Maiden has sounded on auto pilot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 7:12 pm

DeathCult wrote:

Coming off of one of the best albums of all time, this mediocre platter was very disappointing. One of the only times Maiden has sounded on auto pilot.

I am on the fence on this album - I almost posted it in this thread but couldnt decide. You are probably correct in your assessment.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 7:17 pm

exact33 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

I am on the fence on this album - I almost posted it in this thread but couldnt decide. You are probably correct in your assessment.

Adrian had just left the band, Steve wanted to go for a more stripped down, rock sound and it didn't work. There are some good tracks on it, but it's not as good as the 7 classics beforehand. FOTD was much better, but still not as good as the classics. They never really got back to greatness until Adrian re-joined the band. Of course, Bruce is a must for the Maiden sound.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 7:20 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
exact33 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Adrian had just left the band, Steve wanted to go for a more stripped down, rock sound and it didn't work. There are some good tracks on it, but it's not as good as the 7 classics beforehand. FOTD was much better, but still not as good as the classics. They never really got back to greatness until Adrian re-joined the band. Of course, Bruce is a must for the Maiden sound.

hmmm... that whats some bloody blogger said.... copycat!!!

CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 7:42 pm

Flotsam & Jetsam 1st two albums were incredible. headbanger I can't remember the name of their next LP, something about a "storm"? Anyhoo, I listened to it a few times, thought it was crap then took it to Manifest & traded it for something else. Same experience with Quatro. Haven't listened to any new Flots since then. Have I missed anything?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 7:44 pm

NO PRAYER... is simply forgettable. Even the Blaze Bayley albums cause more of a reaction (even if that reaction is outright hatred from most folks)... but N.P.F.T.D. is just "meh." Maiden totally phoned that one in.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 7:54 pm

CRIMSONMASK wrote:
Flotsam & Jetsam 1st two albums were incredible. headbanger I can't remember the name of their next LP, something about a "storm"? Anyhoo, I listened to it a few times, thought it was crap then took it to Manifest & traded it for something else. Same experience with Quatro. Haven't listened to any new Flots since then. Have I missed anything?

If you just like the sound of the first two... You won't like the other ones.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 7:57 pm

CRIMSONMASK wrote:

The Cold. Not a return to their old thrash roots, but a very heavy and aggressive album that still manages to be melodic.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 4:39 am

KFD by WASP was a shock, or the TWO project by Rob Halford.
NATIVE TONGUE by POISON was a let down too.
BLIND GUARDIAN:A NIGHT AT THE OPERA was horrible
ALICE COOPER nearly everything released after HEY STOOPID.
etc...etc....
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 4:40 am

Second WIDOWMAKER album with DEE SNIDER was horrible, also very disapointed with the second KING JAMES album after their great debut or the second FIGHT album, also a let down.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 9:08 am

Krokus - The Blitz: too commercial; especially after the killer 'Headhunter'.
Stryper - In God We Trust: too polished and too many ballads. None is preferable; one is acceptable...but 3? No. Does have some great songs, though (Writing's On The Wall, title track, The Reign). This album would sound a LOT better with a grittier, heavier mix.
Anthrax - State of Euphoria: ok album, but not compared to Among the Living. Just was kind of a letdown.
Deliverance - Learn: Ok, I know Jimmy was following his inner leading and doing what he wanted to do, and this album is great for what it is, but after the monster 'Stay of Execution', this one just didn't do much for me. Too slow, too simple, boring.

Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 9:11 am

I tried to list albums that not only were letdowns when they were released, but also did not really stand the test of time well; i.e., were not 'growers'.

Some that I thought weren't very good upon release, but grew on me and that I now see as great albums would be:

Slayer - South of Heaven
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Twisted Sister - Come Out & Play
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 10:06 am

exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
exact33 wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

hmmm... that whats some bloody blogger said.... copycat!!!

Could have been me - lol!!!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 11:53 am

No Prayer for the Dying is a GREAT one to put in this category! Wow I forgot all about that!! It did have 1 good song to me and that was Mother Russia.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 12:31 pm

Quote :
Deliverance - Learn: Ok, I know Jimmy was following his inner leading and doing what he wanted to do, and this album is great for what it is, but after the monster 'Stay of Execution', this one just didn't do much for me. Too slow, too simple, boring.

I didn't think Learn was that far removed from Stay of Execution.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 12:34 pm

Maiden's No Prayer album is good. It just sounds more like a Bruce solo album...

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 12:34 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Stay was a lot better if i remember correctly. Its been years since i listened to Learn...

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 12:38 pm

exact33 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Stay was a lot better if i remember correctly. Its been years since i listened to Learn...

One thing about Learn is that Jimmy seemed to concentrate on the vocals more.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Motley Crue-Generation Swine
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Lurideath wrote:
No Prayer for the Dying is a GREAT one to put in this category! Wow I forgot all about that!! It did have 1 good song to me and that was Mother Russia.

Glad to see someone else who liked that song! Especially someone like you who I very rarely agree with.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 1:15 pm

exact33 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

I would agree.

I would also add Deliverance - What A Joke. After the awesome Weapons, Jimmy B and the boys released that turkey know as What A Joke.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back in the day......"bummers"
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next