Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Back in the day......"bummers"

Go down 
+22
metalheaded
krokus
CRIMSONMASK
DeathCult
Leatherface
DallasBlack
Lari
jstate
kmorg
Lurideath
tohostudios
Troublezone
manny
exact33
ultmetal
mc666
thejokeriv
EmoElmo
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
James B.
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Back in the day......"bummers" Empty
PostSubject: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 1:32 pm

I was listening to an album while trying out some new headphones the other day. I chose a particular lp due to a phone call from an old friend. We had been talkin about old compilation lps from independent labels back in the 80's. It made me flash on Q5, a band I first heard on a Music For Nations comp called "Welcome To The Mtal Zone"
Back in the day......"bummers" 886487

I put on the lp bought cause of that comp (one of many), being "Steel The Light" by Q5.
Back in the day......"bummers" R-2125939-1265502369

A great album and a band I was anxiously awaiting a new lp from. Then.....the next lp came out. Sad
Q5-"When The Mirror Cracked"
Back in the day......"bummers" R-1662081-1289376947

Thus the thread title "bummer" kick @$$ album (debut or otherwise) then a piece of crap.

What other bands in your experiencce relate to this scenario ?

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 1:53 pm

I bought "The Ritual" the first day it came out. Sad

I was also disappointed by "The Black Album" although it is pretty good for what it is.

"The Great Southern Trendkill" was a disappointment.

"Falling into Infinity" was also a huge step down from their previous stuff.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:13 pm

In 1983, the age of 12, I bought Motley Crue's then current SHOUT AT THE DEVIL and for a time I was sure that Motley Crue was the heaviest, most evil, most bad-ass, most dangerous Satanic band ever to walk the face of the Earth. Dude, they had pentagrams 'n' spikes 'n' leather all over'em and the album's liner notes even warned that "THIS ALBUM MAY CONTAIN BACKWARDS MESSAGES"!! affraid This was pretty hardcore stuff for a pre-teen!!

Three years later, I waited eagerly for the follow up album, THEATRE OF PAIN. Aaaaaand... ugh. I knew something was horribly wrong as soon as I saw the band photo on back of the LP. Not only did Vince Neil kill Hanoi Rocks' drummer, he apparently stole the guy's wardrobe and passed it out to his Crue bandmates too.

The album had none of the grit, none of the fire, none of the 'tude that SHOUT had. I declared them phonies and walked away, and have never given the Crue the time of day since.

Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:17 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I was also disappointed by "The Black Album" although it is pretty good for what it is.

When it first hit the streets, my opinion was success from the "Justice" tour made them $ whores !

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 pm

I had a similar reaction to the Black Album. I remember buying it on the first day of release and getting about three songs into it on my Walkman, walking down a street in NYC, and being gripped by an urge to scream "WHAT THE F*** IS THIS CRAP?" at the top of my lungs.

Time has cooled my initial hatred of that album but wow, at the time I felt like a kid who'd just been told there was no Santa... betrayed!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I bought "The Ritual" the first day it came out. Sad

"The Great Southern Trendkill" was a disappointment.

"Falling into Infinity" was also a huge step down from their previous stuff.

The Ritual and The Black Album are "grower" albums, didn't impress me during the first few listens , repeated listens eventually made me understand how clever and well thought those albums were written

"Southern Trendkill" was an absolute Atrocious Crap, never grew on me, Same thing on DT's "Falling..."
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:29 pm

Like FF, Motley Crue from SATD to Theater of Crap

Dream Theater - Awake to Falling Into Infinity

Savatage - Fight for the rock anyone??????
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:34 pm

[quote="thejokeriv"
Savatage - Fight for the rock anyone??????
[/quote]

I actually dug that lp when it came out, sure it wasn't like any of what preceeded it, Still some good tuneage !

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:41 pm

Countdown to Extinction. total turd.

EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Mine was probably Sepultura's "Roots" - Not the sound I was expecting

Exodus' "Force of Habit" - a huge huge letdown

Pantera's "Far Beyond Driven" - Where they gave birth to several hundreds of Nu-Metal babies a few years later
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Quote :
Mine was probably Sepultura's "Roots" - Not the sound I was expecting

Oooh yeah, that one was a big ole flaming pile of "WTF?"

Quote :
Exodus' "Force of Habit" - a huge huge letdown

Never even bothered w/this one cuz the preceding "Impact is Imminent" was no great shakes either.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 3:29 pm

Vengeance Rising - Destruction Comes
I've since grown to LIKE this album, but I remember when it came out being completely and totally disappointed.

Precious Death - s/t
The first album was great, the second album was good, the third album was...crap!

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 3:33 pm

Bride - Fist Full of Bees. I double checked the cd to see if I had received the right one. Sadly the answer was yes...

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 4:31 pm

I liked "Force of Habit" and "Imapct is Imminent". Both have some great tracks on there.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 4:54 pm

QUEENSRYCHE - Operation: Mindcrime
Having been a huge fan of the band on their first three releases, this one was an unreal letdown for me. Though it has grown on me, it still doesn't rank among my favorites.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 5:09 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Having been a huge fan of the band on their first three releases, this one was an unreal letdown for me. Though it has grown on me, it still doesn't rank among my favorites.

Wow!!! I am surprised by this, I was a fan of theirs since 'The Warning', ( I did not hear the self titled EP for years til it was originally released) I loved the album immediatley.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Priest's "TURBO" - I had this garbage on "Casette, the only danceable priest album sick

Even if you're a fan of Sleaze/Glam you'll probably hate this

Slayer's "Divine Intervention" - They've lost everything in this album, from good songwriting to production., It was all downhill from there, tho they had slightly rebounded in "World Painted Blood"... "Seasons In The Abyss' I believe is THE greatest Slayer album ever
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 5:40 pm

RAVEN - The Pack is Back
Yikes! The English speed metal mongers gone into cartoon-ish pop metal.

TWISTED SISTER - Stay Hungry
I love this album NOW, but when it came out, man was I disappointed. It's no where near the mean street-level heavy metal of the band's first two albums.

manny wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Wow!!! I am surprised by this, I was a fan of theirs since 'The Warning', ( I did not hear the self titled EP for years til it was originally released) I loved the album immediatley.

I discovered Queensryche thanks to the song Queen of the Ryche. Bought the EP as a new release on vinyl. I thought Warning was great, even if it wasn't quite as heavy as the EP. Thought Rage for Order was brilliant. Mindcrime I was like, "What the ... is this?" I know most people won't agree, but it really just didn't jive with me at first at all.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 5:44 pm

manny wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Mindcrime was my first QR album so I have fond memories each time I listen.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Originally I considered these bummers... (but I like them now).

Metallica - Black Album
Testament - The Ritual
Sacred Reich - Independent
Exodus - Force of Habit

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Most people will hate me for this. Savatage - Streets. This was really not the album I was looking for post-Gutter Ballet. I remember wishing they had headed in a more progressive direction instead of piling on the "pseudo-Broadway" rock opera schtick. While there are some songs I dig on that record, as a whole it doesn't work for me.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 5:59 pm

S.D. wrote:
Most people will hate me for this. Savatage - Streets. This was really not the album I was looking for post-Gutter Ballet. I remember wishing they had headed in a more progressive direction instead of piling on the "pseudo-Broadway" rock opera schtick. While there are some songs I dig on that record, as a whole it doesn't work for me.

I agree. Gutter Ballet is my favorite 'tage album.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Troublezone wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I agree. Gutter Ballet is my favorite 'tage album.

Hall of the Mountain burger King is mine!!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 6:30 pm

For me I was totally disappointed by Pantera's Great Southern Trenkill and Metallica's Load. After that double whammy,I have not bought a new cd without giving a song or 2 a listen.Granted,I heard Metallica's Until It Sleeps but figured that was the exception not the norm. Boy was I wrong.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Diablo Swing Orchestra - From the unpredictable Butcher's Ballroom to the WTF is this crap on Singalong Songs For The Damned And Delirioius

Beautiful Creatures - from the S/T to the blah Deuce

Hardcore Superstar - Looks like they may have hit their creative peak with the S/T. The follow up "Dreaming IN A Casket" was really weak and the next album "Split Your Lip" was even worse.

DAD - No Fuel Left For THe Pilgrims. They haven't come close to this one since IMO

And the all time classic...

Boston - S/T followed by a whole lotta "meh".

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back in the day......"bummers"
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next