Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why we might want to go back to CDs

Go down 
+13
James B.
Hadley
Gilbert
the sentinel
corplhicks
Witchfinder
nevermore
tohostudios
Required Fields
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
Lari
17 posters
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

Why we might want to go back to CDs Empty
PostSubject: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2019 3:34 am

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190207-why-streaming-music-may-be-bad-for-climate-change
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2019 6:44 am

I never left CDs anyway (homey don't stream!)... Wink

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2019 7:03 am

Yep! Never left them and as long as they're being made, I'll buy them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2019 7:19 am

YOU CAN HAVE MY CDs WHEN YOU PRY THEM FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39563

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2019 8:30 am

Yeah, I've never went away from them. Streaming never appealed to me.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I never left CDs anyway

Same here. I continue to buy them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2019 6:49 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Same here.  I don't "stream" anything; music, movies, whatever. 

I have taken to paying for LEGAL downloads of music though as opposed to buying the physical CD because A) downloading is usually cheaper once you factor in shipping and B) it's immediate; I get the music I want to listen to right away instead of waiting for someone to deliver it to me.

That was an interesting article though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2019 4:26 pm

I still buy cds. No streaming here at all.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2019 8:01 pm

I buy CDs, vinyl, and cassettes. I also buy downloads and I have a premium Spotify account.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 3:25 am

My buddy and I were talking about this recently. The more tech we harness, the more power and thus energy is required, thus natural resources. It's an interesting argument, but there is green energy to consider.

All that said, guys sorry but I had to throw new physical media acquisitions out from the budget years ago. I stream. Life is too short, and California is toooooo expensive.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 3:44 am

corplhicks wrote:

Life is too short, and California is toooooo expensive

I hear you can save almost $100 a day if you go from banging 7 gram rocks down to only 6 grams.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2019 8:44 pm

Y'all know me, your friendly neighborhood Sentinel. I buy Cd's, Vinyl, and Cassette. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 11:51 am

I love cds. Not a fan of downloading. But i do use YouTube to check out samples, usually by bands i had never heard of before.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 4:05 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Same here.  I don't "stream" anything; music, movies, whatever. 

I have taken to paying for LEGAL downloads of music though as opposed to buying the physical CD because A) downloading is usually cheaper once you factor in shipping and B) it's immediate; I get the music I want to listen to right away instead of waiting for someone to deliver it to me.

That was an interesting article though.

Same here, we dont have any music stores where I live outside of Wal-Mart, which looks to be phasing out cds anyway. It's also a more convenient way to buy "bonus tracks" from greatest hits or reissue cds. I do use Spotify and youtube, but that's more to preview albums (and I use Spotify more as a radio anyway).
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2019 6:55 pm

My local Wal-Mart phased out CDs briefly, but did start stocking them again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12615

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2019 9:25 am

corplhicks wrote:
California is toooooo expensive.

Moved from there almost 10 years ago and don't even like going back to visit.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2019 9:39 pm

I am not one to trumpet the newest innovations in tech, nor do I denounce it completely' but I look at what we have in the last 50 years and wonder what will come in the next five decades. I know it sounds ignorant and shortsighted, but I think we have come far enough with tech. I personally don't give a shit if someday we can all control every aspect of our daily lives from a gadget on our wrist. I apologize to the OP for getting on a rant and off topic. Tech and space exploration are hot button topics to me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 am

the sentinel wrote:
I am not one to trumpet the newest innovations in tech, nor do I denounce it completely' but I look at what we have in the last 50 years and wonder what will come in the next five decades. I know it sounds ignorant and shortsighted, but I think we have come far enough with tech. I personally don't give a shit if someday we can all control every aspect of our daily lives from a gadget on our wrist. I apologize to the OP for getting on a rant and off topic. Tech and space exploration are hot button topics to me.

I don't mind if changes are made to innovate or further development, but making changes just to make changes so a company can sell a newer, supposedly better version just ticks me off to no end.

I'm a graphic artist and it pisses me off to no end when Adobe releases a new version of their product with changes that noone in their right mind asked for or wants. The program is fine. You're making changes just to show the shareholders that you're doing something "productive".

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2019 10:19 pm

I still buy cds as well just not like I used to. If it isn't on record then cd.

Wargod60
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 602

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 pm

I have gone the way of (legal) digital downloads, which I burn to a CD-R after I'm done so I can play it in my ride.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2019 1:58 pm

I Still buy cds but not as much as I used to, mostly vinyl now days.

Wargod60
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 7:12 pm

My CD collection continues to grow (just got a whole bunch yesterday) and I have no intent to quit. Not because I give a rat's ass about climate change but because I love collecting them.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why we might want to go back to CDs   Why we might want to go back to CDs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why we might want to go back to CDs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Collector's Corner-
Jump to: