Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Back in the day......"bummers"

Go down 
+22
metalheaded
krokus
CRIMSONMASK
DeathCult
Leatherface
DallasBlack
Lari
jstate
kmorg
Lurideath
tohostudios
Troublezone
manny
exact33
ultmetal
mc666
thejokeriv
EmoElmo
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
James B.
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 6:56 pm

This has happened a lot with me, Some of the albums I was disappointed in are:

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss = I was a huge Slayer fanatic in high school but when this came out I absolutely hated it. Still don't like it. I did like Divine Intervention but nothing that followed that.

Sepultura - Chaos AD = When this came out it was so far removed from what they were so known for and what I had liked about them. Everything since has been lame.

Obituary - World Demise = This was just crap! They redeemed themselves but this was the lowest.

Testament - Demonic = Love Testament but this was just a slacker album with horrible monotone vocals. They have also redeemed themselves to me.

Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation = This was just bad and they continuously kept going downhill.

Fear Factory - Demanufacture = As a freak for their first album, this follow up was just dumb Pantera sounding crap. Another band that continuously went downhill until this latest release.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Quiet Riot - Condition Critical - they made Metal Health again, but it made it suck!!!! Now I like it, but at the time it was a huge letdown.

Sacred Warrior - Master's Command - I know a lot of people like it, but I found it boring and a let down after the first one. And a duet with Roger from Vengeance Rising? Sounded cool on paper... until I heard it

Queensryche - Hear In The Now Frontier. Having been a fan since the early days, I felt every album was better and that they peaked with Empire. Promised Land didn't let me down but it wasn't as good as Empire. Then they released Hear In The Now Frontier and they have never recovered.

Twisted Sister - Come Out And Play - loved Stay Hungry, loved YCSRNR, then they released Come Out And Play and covered "Leader Of The Pack" and the emo hipsters say "Epic Fail!"

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 9:26 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

Twisted Sister - Come Out And Play - loved Stay Hungry, loved YCSRNR, then they released Come Out And Play and covered "Leader Of The Pack" and the emo hipsters say "Epic Fail!"

I never understood why people were so offended by this cover when they had played this song live for a decade AND they had already recorded it once on their Ruff Cutts EP. It was definitely the wrong song to chose as a single. The band thought it would appeal to the old school fans. It didn't.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 9:52 pm

"Master's Command" is an amazing album in my book.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 2:29 am

S.D. wrote:
Most people will hate me for this. Savatage - Streets. This was really not the album I was looking for post-Gutter Ballet. I remember wishing they had headed in a more progressive direction instead of piling on the "pseudo-Broadway" rock opera schtick. While there are some songs I dig on that record, as a whole it doesn't work for me.

I think more people than you think agree on this. I thought the same as you when it was new. I love it now, but it is not a favorite.

Every single Queensrÿche album after "The Warning" has been a letdown. Nowadays I love them all, up to "Proise Land", but when they were new, I hated them. "Rage For Order" took me the longest to get into.

I also agree with "The Black Album". I remember listening to it in a friends walkman, and thinking; "is this the same band that recorded "Ride The Lighting"? Today I love this album as well.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 8:32 am

ultmetal wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

I never understood why people were so offended by this cover when they had played this song live for a decade AND they had already recorded it once on their Ruff Cutts EP. It was definitely the wrong song to chose as a single. The band thought it would appeal to the old school fans. It didn't.

Everyone I knew hated it too, but all of us became fans during YCSRNR, so we didn't know the early history and the song came off as 'WTF was that?' Regardless, they never should have choose that as the lead off single!

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 8:40 am

I loved the first three Twisted Sister albums but I hated 'Come Out and Play', and I knew they had recorded 'Leader of the Pack' since I owned the EP 'Ruff Cuts' but at the time I did not care for it, I like it now but still do not love it.

Deep Purple-House of Blue Light-After the excellent 'Perfect Strangers' I did not want to hear Deep Purple go in more commerical direction, it is still a good album but nowhere near as good as what came before it and what followed it.

Quiet Riot-Condition Critical- I now like the album but when it came out, I was disappointed, on the bright side thanks to another Slade cover, I discovered those Geordie lads

As far as Queensryche, I must be a die hard fan because I have liked everything they have released, well the exception their newest disc.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 9:29 am

In the end I ended up liking it a lot, but when Warrior Soul's Drugs, God & The New Republic came out it felt like a huge letdown. In reality anything after Last Decade was going to be a disappointment for me - hard to top that one. They did come close with Salutations IMO.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:22 am

jstate wrote:
In the end I ended up liking it a lot, but when Warrior Soul's Drugs, God & The New Republic came out it felt like a huge letdown. In reality anything after Last Decade was going to be a disappointment for me - hard to top that one. They did come close with Salutations IMO.

How'bout the change between SALUTATIONS and the mostly-awful CHILL PILL? Talk about a bummer. I'd just gotten into Warrior Soul on the SALUTATIONS album and had devoured the other two releases in the meantime so naturally I was salivating for a new record from them. CHILL PILL was not at all what I was hoping for.

Years later I understand why they did the CHILL PILL record (it was the last album on their DGC contract and they purposely made it uncommercial and weird as a middle finger to the record label for their lack of support) and I can even appreciate some of the songs on it, but at the time I was like "Awww man, WTF is this?"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:29 am

Chill Pill is awful.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:30 am

I try to block Chill Pill out of my Warrior Soul love. I don't hate it as much as I once did, and have even come to appreciate "sticking it to the record company" elements of it. But why do that to the fans. Yeah, a big bummer when that came out.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 11:46 am

Genesis - s/t
I was a Genesis fanatic in the late 70's into the 80's. I loved everything up and through "Abacab" but when that self-titled album came out, it was just a bit too poppy for my tastes at the time. They had completely abandoned their sound for radio pop.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 12:11 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Genesis - s/t
I was a Genesis fanatic in the late 70's into the 80's. I loved everything up and through "Abacab" but when that self-titled album came out, it was just a bit too poppy for my tastes at the time. They had completely abandoned their sound for radio pop.

I agree with everything you stated, but I loved the self titled album and this was my introduction to Genesis thanks to MTV's heavy rotation to the videos from this disc.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 4:14 pm

Can't believe I forgot my biggest bummer of all time...

Lynch Mob - Smoke This

I like a lot of stuff people hate. I'm even open to style changes and some rap into my metal but this was just wrong on so many levels. I think I only finished the album out of complete shock to what I was hearing.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 4:24 pm

jstate wrote:
Can't believe I forgot my biggest bummer of all time...

Lynch Mob - Smoke This

I like a lot of stuff people hate. I'm even open to style changes and some rap into my metal but this was just wrong on so many levels. I think I only finished the album out of complete shock to what I was hearing.
Oh heck yes. Can't get much worse than that album.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 4:37 pm

Something more recent was Blind Guardian's A Night at the Opera. To me, they were the greatest band in the world in the 90's. Imaginations and Nightfall are both musical perfection. Imaginations is my favourite album ever. "Opera" sounded pretentious and lacked sack.

Yeah, they were going in that orchestral direction in a lot of the Nightfall tracks already, but A Night at the Opera was just too much for me. I actually like Hansi's raw voice, why do I have to hear it layered a hundred times? They still haven't won me back completely.

I guess it was too big of a change for Thomen Stauch, too...

But still, 90's Blind Guardian is amazing.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 9:11 pm

I like Chill Pill

Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Some more respected bands that somewhat changed their style during the grunge Revolution

Kreator's "Renewal" - Yeah, Renewal allright, this record was Downright Atrocious

Dokken's "Dysfunctional" - I couldn't stand this record, "Shadowlife" was even 10X worse

Suicida Tendencies "Art Of Rebellion" - So Painful to the ears, I can't listen to this record without skipping 5 tracks or so

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 9:44 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I liked "Force of Habit" and "Imapct is Imminent". Both have some great tracks on there.

I really liked "Force Of Habit", very melodic for an Exodus album. Of course I like a lot of albums people think are real turds:

The Ritual
Cuatro
Crawl To China
Countdown To Extinction/Youthanasia
The Black Album
etc.

I do have an example for this thread:

The Showdown: From the great Temptation Come My Way to the dissapointing Back Breaker

Quote :
Suicida Tendencies "Art Of Rebellion" - So Painful to the ears, I can't listen to this record without skipping 5 tracks or so

Thou hast no taste! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 9:49 pm

^ Never was a fan of 'Punk' Suicidal, I prefer their thrashier "How Can I laugh.../bLights, Camera" sound
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:03 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
^ Never was a fan of 'Punk' Suicidal,

Neither am I, however despite it not being as heavy or thrashy as the two you mentioned, Art Of Rebellion was still a metal album and contains some of Rocky George's best and most passionate guitar solos.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 11:21 pm

Already been mentioned but, Motley Crue from Theater of Pain on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Quote :
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss = I was a huge Slayer fanatic in high school but when this came out I absolutely hated it. Still don't like it

What's not to like? It's a mix of everything they did before, especially South of Heaven.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss = I was a huge Slayer fanatic in high school but when this came out I absolutely hated it. Still don't like it

What's not to like? It's a mix of everything they did before, especially South of Heaven.

And it has their best drumming.

But the guitars are a bit subdued, tone-wise and in the mix.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 2:00 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

And it has their best drumming.

But the guitars are a bit subdued, tone-wise and in the mix.

I agree about the drums. The guitars sound good to me... better than South or Divine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back in the day......"bummers"   Back in the day......"bummers" - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back in the day......"bummers"
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next