Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The change in Blackie Lawless

Go down 
+27
Fat Freddy
Mglaffas81
Glower
325ad
metalinmyveins
Smindas
mr.electric39
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
JBall_Z
Troublezone
GrandNational
Jesusandmetal23
Eyesore
shamgar75
mc666
TheDoctor'sScarf
tohostudios
exact33
stevegarveyfan
Approval Guy
mountains
thejokeriv
Shawn Of Fire
krokus
ultmetal
kmorg
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 10:37 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
krokus wrote:
They dont think for themselfs because they follow rules set by religion only (thanks to holy book, society/family education, church....). It so simple to understand i think. No more words are needed to explain. Religion is not a bad thing only in excess. Religion is necessary for a lot of people because they need the 10 commandments, if not they might KILL, but fear of god controls them and keeps them on the right track, that greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt Very Happy

But what is excess??? At what point is one thing too much, and who deems what and when that point comes to fruition? You could say the same thing about heavy metal, being on a computer, watching T.V, eating, in regards to excess. I'm not religious either (though probably spiritual), but your view points seem to be laced with stereotypes regarding those whose lives don't parallel that of your own.

I have a friend from high school (was probably my best friend during those days), who I barely recognize these days. His emotional growth has receded to the point that as a high school kid, he was more functional in his day to day life. His views on race, alternative life styles, politics, socio-economics and those who are different/or think differently from himself are not only sad, but are in some ways down right frightening. I suppose it's shocking from my standpoint when you witness someone who has gone backward in life rather than forward. If somebody doesn't share his view point, then he not only gets defensive about it, but down right confrontational. The funny thing is, I've never heard his parents view any of those same thoughts!

I respect your opinion, but i dont agree. Nothing bad about that i think. You have your thoughts and i have mine about it. Thanks for telling me about your friend but thats not me at all, i dont get defensive, its just the way i see a lot of those religious people. I am not going to attack anybody only because they are different but i will give my opinion when i wanna give it of course, thats why we have this great forum and we speak with respect. Take care.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 10:43 am

krokus wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
krokus wrote:
They dont think for themselfs because they follow rules set by religion only (thanks to holy book, society/family education, church....). It so simple to understand i think. No more words are needed to explain. Religion is not a bad thing only in excess. Religion is necessary for a lot of people because they need the 10 commandments, if not they might KILL, but fear of god controls them and keeps them on the right track, that greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt Very Happy

But what is excess??? At what point is one thing too much, and who deems what and when that point comes to fruition? You could say the same thing about heavy metal, being on a computer, watching T.V, eating, in regards to excess. I'm not religious either (though probably spiritual), but your view points seem to be laced with stereotypes regarding those whose lives don't parallel that of your own.

I have a friend from high school (was probably my best friend during those days), who I barely recognize these days. His emotional growth has receded to the point that as a high school kid, he was more functional in his day to day life. His views on race, alternative life styles, politics, socio-economics and those who are different/or think differently from himself are not only sad, but are in some ways down right frightening. I suppose it's shocking from my standpoint when you witness someone who has gone backward in life rather than forward. If somebody doesn't share his view point, then he not only gets defensive about it, but down right confrontational. The funny thing is, I've never heard his parents view any of those same thoughts!

I respect your opinion, but i dont agree. Nothing bad about that i think. You have your thoughts and i have mine about it. Thanks for telling me about your friend but thats not me at all, i dont get defensive, its just the way i see a lot of those religious people. I am not going to attack anybody only because they are different but i will give my opinion when i wanna give it of course, thats why we have this great forum and we speak with respect. Take care.

coming in and saying religious people are sheep and dont think for themselves is attacking them. Its putting down an entire class of people.

krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:03 am

If telling my opinion is attacking them, well thats what you think. I dont agree. Interesting way of thinking by the way exact33
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:04 am

krokus wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
krokus wrote:

Krokus, I will finish my thoughts with this. I guess my point is this, I believe it's dangerous to stereotype. We all have done it or continue to do it to this day. I just don't think it's healthy, if we as human beings paint with such a broad stroke regarding our opposing views. I don't believe anything good comes from doing this, as we ultimately offend those who think differently. I think it's fine to be diametrically opposed to someone else and their view point, as long as we don't lump in the minority and pretend that they are a majority.

I wasn't trying to lump you in with my friend, as he comes up in my mind when it comes to stereotyping. I certainly don't know you well enough outside of your thoughts on heavy metal and certain religious view points. I'm guessing there is much more to you as an individual outside of these two things. Regarding religion, it just seems like you're very set in your thoughts, and that you use words as "They" to describe an opposing view point. I guess that I just operate differently in that sense. Does "They" represent a person, a small contingent, half of the masses, the majority, or all of those within the religious realm? To me, that's why using words like "They" is sort of dangerous.

Anyhoo, those are my thoughts on the matter. Take care as well Krokus...
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:07 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
krokus wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
krokus wrote:

Krokus, I will finish my thoughts with this. I guess my point is this, I believe it's dangerous to stereotype. We all have done it or continue to do it to this day. I just don't think it's healthy, if we as human beings paint with such a broad stroke regarding our opposing views. I don't believe anything good comes from doing this, as we ultimately offend those who think differently. I think it's fine to be diametrically opposed to someone else and their view point, as long as we don't lump in the minority and pretend that they are a majority.

I wasn't trying to lump you in with my friend, as he comes up in my mind when it comes to stereotyping. I certainly don't know you well enough outside of your thoughts on heavy metal and certain religious view points. I'm guessing there is much more to you as an individual outside of these two things. Regarding religion, it just seems like you're very set in your thoughts, and that you use words as "They" to describe an opposing view point. I guess that I just operate differently in that sense. Does "They" represent a person, a small contingent, half of the masses, the majority, or all of those within the religious realm? To me, that's why using words like "They" is sort of dangerous.

Its all good, i liked to read your posts and you explained your opinion very well, better then me for shore (i speak english a lot better then writing).
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:15 am

krokus wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
krokus wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
krokus wrote:

Its all good, i liked to read your posts and you explained your opinion very well, better then me for shore (i speak english a lot better then writing).

Your English is fine Krokus. I only wish that I had as much command with a second language as you. I have great admiration for those who have taken the time out to learning someone else's native tongue. One day I will get back to learning French all over again!
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks bro, i am happy you can understand my writing at least Laughing . Yes, its nice to speak an other language. I am from Holland thats why it makes it not so hard to speak english but for Spanish people for exemple its a lot harder to speak good english, and for english to speak spanish too. Good luck with your French.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:27 am

krokus wrote:
Thanks bro, i am happy you can understand my writing at least Laughing . Yes, its nice to speak an other language. I am from Holland thats why it makes it not so hard to speak english but for Spanish people for exemple its a lot harder to speak good english, and for english to speak spanish too. Good luck with your French.

What was the reason you learned a second language? Did it have anything to do with your love of metal music? Did you have parents that could speak English fluently?

**Regarding my French, I just need to take more time out to actually get invested in really learning the language. It's all about the time we set aside for certain ventures in life.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:41 am

People in Holland learn English in school, same as us Norwegians. I don't think Spanish people do though, at least only in volunteering classes.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:43 am

krokus wrote:
If telling my opinion is attacking them, well thats what you think. I dont agree. Interesting way of thinking by the way exact33

I would imagine that you would call someone racist or sexist if they were of the opinion that women were inferior or people of different colored skin were to be looked down upon. Their opinion does cause hurt and anger to those they are stereotyping. I think the same thing can be said in this instance - coming in and saying that those who are religious follow blindly and dont think for themselves is hardly accurate and perpetuates a stereotype. There are a lot of smart people who are religious.

as for Blackie (and being back on topic) if people dont like what he has to say, they can stop going to his shows. I really have no interest in Springsteen anymore because his ranting about how this world is screwed up because business, Republicans and anything else he doesnt like is evil.

Last edited by exact33 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:49 am

krokus wrote:
exact33 wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
krokus wrote:
I liked him more before, today he is to influenced by religion and dont think for himself anymore.

I would disagree.... He probably thinks more for himself know then going 'with the flow'....

plus this stereotype that if you are religious, you cant think for yourself is utter nonsense. Its an attempt by those who dont like religion to make generalizations and try to frame people in neat little categories. I believe in God but I dont take everything anyone says as truth - I do think for myself and when someone says something, I have to evaluate it. And that is the norm - not this silly idea that when someone in a position of leadership says something, everyone immediately agrees.

Of course you have excepcions but most of the ULTRA-religious people dont think for themselfs, they follow blindly without thinking what they are telling them. If 95% are like that, you can generalize. You are the other 5% thats why dont feel ofended.
I disagree. Those kinds of people do nothing but think for themselves. It's 100% selfishness.

And seriously, 95%? I would bet not even 50% are like that. Not even close, actually.

Last edited by Eyesore on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:50 am

kmorg wrote:
People in Holland learn English in school, same as us Norwegians. I don't think Spanish people do though, at least only in volunteering classes.

I'm not surprised by this, as schools throughout Europe and I'm guessing Scandinavian countries for decades have stressed learning a second language. When I was in high school one could take Spanish or French, but many students took the required two years so they could graduate. I didn't know many people that took a foreign language beyond what was known as Spanish II or French II. Now of course schools within various parts of the U.S offer a variety of foreign languages which one can learn, and students seem to go beyond what they're required to take.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:54 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
kmorg wrote:

I'm not surprised by this, as schools throughout Europe and I'm guessing Scandinavian countries for decades have stressed learning a second language. When I was in high school one could take Spanish or French, but many students took the required two years so they could graduate. I didn't know many people that took a foreign language beyond what was known as Spanish II or French II. Now of course schools within various parts of the U.S offer a variety of foreign languages which one can learn, and students seem to go beyond what they're required to take.

we are homeschooling and the kids are learning spanish now in first grade.

krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 4:18 pm

exact33 wrote:
krokus wrote:

I would imagine that you would call someone racist or sexist if they were of the opinion that women were inferior or people of different colored skin were to be looked down upon. Their opinion does cause hurt and anger to those they are stereotyping. I think the same thing can be said in this instance - coming in and saying that those who are religious follow blindly and dont think for themselves is hardly accurate and perpetuates a stereotype. There are a lot of smart people who are religious.

as for Blackie (and being back on topic) if people dont like what he has to say, they can stop going to his shows. I really have no interest in Springsteen anymore because his ranting about how this world is screwed up because business, Republicans and anything else he doesnt like is evil.

Dont get hurt, you are part of the 5% for shore, dont worry Very Happy . Their are billions of people on earth and 5% is a lot lot of people, and the smart religious people you are talking about are also part of those 5%.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 4:43 pm

krokus wrote:
exact33 wrote:
krokus wrote:

Dont get hurt, you are part of the 5% for shore, dont worry Very Happy . Their are billions of people on earth and 5% is a lot lot of people, and the smart religious people you are talking about are also part of those 5%.

i guess stereotypes are true sometimes...

krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 4:48 pm

exact33 wrote:
krokus wrote:
exact33 wrote:
krokus wrote:

i guess stereotypes are true sometimes...

If you think so. I dont feel offended by your words at all but only because i have a different opinion from yours somebody is not a stereotype. Good night.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:36 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Saw that on Blabbermouth. The blabberjerks are all over him about it over there, like he committed some crime against humanity for "forcing" people to listen to his minute long prayer. Good for Blackie. It's nice to see guys like him, with a reputation for being a jerk, stand up for what he believes and also show some compassion.

+1
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 4:13 pm

325ad wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Saw that on Blabbermouth. The blabberjerks are all over him about it over there, like he committed some crime against humanity for "forcing" people to listen to his minute long prayer. Good for Blackie. It's nice to see guys like him, with a reputation for being a jerk, stand up for what he believes and also show some compassion.

+1

I enjoy the seeing the hypocrisy of metalheads who take pride in bucking the system and then complain when the system bucks them.

Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 9:14 am

I could never stand beside Blackie Lawless inside a church with outstretched arms.....
Just heard - imagine - 9 years later - he’s born again. Read an interview from 2018.
He’s doing religion his way. He believes once saved always saved. Etc.
Unless he changed his name and stopped touring.....
and gave Chris Holmes a million dollars - due him.....I’d consider his ‘conversion’ real.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 10:27 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
kmorg wrote:

I'm not surprised by this, as schools throughout Europe and I'm guessing Scandinavian countries for decades have stressed   learning a second language. When I was in high school one could take Spanish or French, but many students took the required two years so they could graduate. I didn't know many people that took a foreign language beyond what was known as Spanish II or French II. Now of course schools within various parts of the U.S offer a variety of foreign languages which one can learn, and students seem to go beyond what they're required to take.

Seeing as English is such an internationally applicable (and in many cases, effectively necessary) language, the learning of it as an L2 skill is viewed in a more compulsory light in many parts of Europe, compared to learning Spanish or French in North America - that's my reading of it, at least.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 10:33 am

I dunno, I liked Blackie Lawless way more before his midlife crisis, when he was still shooting sparks out of his codpiece and singing about being an animal. (shrugs)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 10:37 am

mountains wrote:

What I don't like about Blackie after his conversion, or re-conversion (the guy's held a lot of conflicting attitudes both for and against religion over the years), is that now he's taking away some of W.A.S.P.'s edge by refusing to play old songs, most notably Smurf Like a Beast.

He could always don a dog collar and perform the song as I Look Like a Priest lol!
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 10:40 am

Boris2008 wrote:
mountains wrote:

What I don't like about Blackie after his conversion, or re-conversion (the guy's held a lot of conflicting attitudes both for and against religion over the years), is that now he's taking away some of W.A.S.P.'s edge by refusing to play old songs, most notably Smurf Like a Beast.

He could always don a dog collar and perform the song as I Look Like a Priest lol!

Or Fuck Like A Priest - wait...
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 2:21 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
mountains wrote:

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 2:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I dunno, I liked Blackie Lawless way more before his midlife crisis, when he was still shooting sparks out of his codpiece and singing about being an animal. (shrugs)

Boris2008 wrote:
mountains wrote:

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
mountains wrote:

Or Fuck Like A Priest - wait...

LOL that was a rabbit hole of a post to read through and you guys capped it off perfectly. Laughing cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The change in Blackie Lawless
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next