Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If you could change the thrash Big 4 -

Go down 
+21
Lurideath
John Madden
glassprison
Fat Freddy
metalinmyveins
manny
Lari
the sentinel
Required Fields
Gilbert
Troublezone
Thrasher73
Wrecked Neck
nevermore
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Dark Horseman
Glower
Boris2008
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Empty
PostSubject: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 6:40 am

Personally, I think it is accurate the way it is.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 6:45 am

I feel that Overkill fits in there somewhere but I'm not sure who they would replace. Anthrax, maybe?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 8:20 am

I've always thought that Exodus should be included, don't see why it needs to be four.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 8:53 am

I comes down to albums for me.

I cant possibly say Metallica is Thrash metal band = over the last 20 years.

So, I'd change my opinion more - to cooler younger recent bands with 2-3 releases out.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 9:32 am

I enjoy Overkill and Testament more then Slayer, more consistent ouput but I understand why it is like it is.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 10:55 am

In 2019? Overkill, Testament, Exodus and Death Angel.

All 4 are unique in their sound (like the original 4) and continue to fly the flag for thrash (unlike some of the originals I could mention).

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 11:01 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Those are actually some good choices right there.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 11:09 am

007 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Those are actually some good choices right there.

The thing I've always appreciated about the Big 4 was the diversity. Yes, they all played thrash, but there was no mistaking a Slayer song for Anthrax or Anthrax for Metallica. They all had a sound, either vocally, musically or both, that defined them. I feel that way about the new 4 I mentioned too.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7609

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 12:02 pm

I wouldn't change anything. Were there any other thrash bands that were as important as those four at the time? I think the only argument is for Exodus, but they were slow off the mark and didn't put out Bonded By Blood until 85.

Testament and Death Angel didn't even have albums out until 1987 and Overkill was a little late as well in 1985. Bobby Blitz himself said they didn't belong in the Big Four and are a second generation band that was influenced by the Big Four.

I do think Anthrax is the weakest link in the Big Four, but they sold a ton of albums and they were very popular in the 80s - certainly more popular than any other thrash band that wasn't named Metallica, Megadeth or Slayer.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25807

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 12:38 pm

I wouldn't change it.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2019 12:40 pm

I don't know. This whole big four term seems lame. Back in the day when all of them were thrash and in their prime, I don't recall them being refered to as the big four. If it was a term made up back then, then I say keep it the way it is. However, if it was more recent (the year 2000 or later) then I say get rid of metallica and anthrax, and insert Overkill and Exodus. Those two band have out out much better albums in their latter years, put out great albums in the early days, and not once strayed from their roots.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 3:19 am

I think it’s ok the way it is. Yeah I would agree that Overkill and Exodus could probably replace Slayer and Anthrax but I understand their place in history. I also think Testament and Death Angel deserve a spot too. Why does it have to be the big 4? Why not the elite 8? Haha!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 4:46 am

I would switch out Anthrax for Overkill or Exodus.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9875

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 5:25 am

Flotsam and Jetsam
Overkill
Testament
Exodus
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 9:17 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
I enjoy Overkill and Testament more then Slayer, more consistent ouput but I understand why it is like it is.

I'd replace Slayer with Anthrax in your sentence, but I also understand why it is like it is.

Also, Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax are also much more accessible than bands such as Dark Angel or Demolition Hammer (Slayer is the one truly "extreme" band in the "Big Four"). That needs to be considered.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 9:23 am

Admittedly, I am not as big a fan of Thrash as others her; I don't own much beyond the 7-8 bands already listed. I don't have an issue with the way it's currently constituted, as those 4 would be the progenitors and most well known of the genre; but I could also make a case to include Overkill, Exodus, Testament, or Death Angel as they are the current flag wavers and still epitomize the genre.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 10:14 am

Sepultura would qualify as huge by thrash standards for Beneath the Remains and Arise. (Sadly, I don't see Schizophrenia mentioned nearly as much by the presses, probably because it wasn't officially released in North America until a few years after it came out.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6329

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 2:09 pm

I'm not fully grasping the concept of the original post here. Are you asking if I would like my favourite thrash metal band to be more popular? Like, the band members would have bigger houses, exotic European sports cars, and concert tickets would cost 6x as much, and I would only get to see them live in packed arenas? Not to mention they'd be pushed to do pussy ballads and cut their hair.

I think I'd rather keep the bands I like to myself.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 6:22 pm

None all that, Lar. I have just seen a lot of elitists [not saying there is anything wrong with that] say that, what has "become known as", media-ly speaking, the Big Four, needs adjustment. Specifically, that Anthrax is the weak link. This was just a post to get opinions on what people would change about this perspective.

Now go crawl back into your igloo and crank some King Diamond. Just kidding.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9875

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 6:34 pm

I tend to agree with Uncle about Anthrax being the weakest link.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 8:00 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I wouldn't change anything. Were there any other thrash bands that were as important as those four at the time?  I think the only argument is for Exodus, but they were slow off the mark and didn't put out Bonded By Blood until 85.  

Testament and Death Angel didn't even have albums out until 1987 and Overkill was a little late as well in 1985. Bobby Blitz himself said they didn't belong in the Big Four and are a second generation band that was influenced by the Big Four.

I do think Anthrax is the weakest link in the Big Four, but they sold a ton of albums and they were very popular in the 80s - certainly more popular than any other thrash band that wasn't named Metallica, Megadeth or Slayer.

Thou I would probably put Overkill in over Anthrax, I have to agree, I wouldn't change a thing. As you point out, they were very popular, sold tons of records, of course they helped influence Limp Bizkit, which is a major sin.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 9:33 pm

It feels as though the prevailing idea is that the Big 4 "earned" the right to be the big 4, but no longer really "deserve" it as their output has declined in quality and they have not stayed consistent in being thrash.

I feel like this happens in other genres too where the Top Five get the most recognition but there was a lot of contemporaries who were just as deserving or better. We know this, cause it's our passion, but the casual fan does not.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6329

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2019 2:04 pm

I don't know if the Big Four was ever about the quality of music. Just records sold.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 am

Lari wrote:
I don't know if the Big Four was ever about the quality of music. Just records sold.

That's it. Plus they were the first to get records out (well not Megadeth but Dave had history in the scene)

The only thing that gets me a little about the Big 4 thing is that it makes thrash look like an American thing when it was probably the most global underground music phenomenon in the pre internet age.

But you can't argue that they were the biggest bands
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Lari wrote:

That's it. Plus they were the first to get records out (well not Megadeth but Dave had history in the scene)

The only thing that gets me a little about the Big 4 thing is that it makes thrash look like an American thing when it was probably the most global underground music phenomenon in the pre internet age.

But you can't argue that they were the biggest bands

That's a great point, Boris, about it being underground but global.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you could change the thrash Big 4 -   If you could change the thrash Big 4 - Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If you could change the thrash Big 4 -
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: