Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Second chance mind change

Go down 
+8
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
SAHB Healer
mc666
Wicked Rick
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wicked Rick
Metal novice
Metal novice
Wicked Rick

Number of posts : 61

Second chance mind change Empty
PostSubject: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 10:46 pm

Any one ever hear a cd for the first time & hate it. Then go back later & find out how wrong you were? I do not mean you thought cd was ok at first listen, then it grew on you with each listen. I mean a cd you did NOT LIKE, then change your mind on the second listen.
For me it was Crimson Glory's Astronomica. A friend lent it to me & said it is not the same without Midnight. I said OK, I will pretend it is some ohter band instead of CG. Well it did not work! Do not even think I got to the end of cd. Then about 5 months later another friend & I were talking about high pitch vocals & he asked me if I heard of Wade Black on the Astronomica cd? I told him I hated it! He said give it another try. I did & damn I am glad I did. I reach for this cd more than the other 2 I own with Midnight on vocals. Nothing wrong with the the Midnight CG cds, but something about Astonomica that grabs a hold of me.

Anyone else had same reaction?

Wicked Rick
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 1:50 am

good topic...

the first one that comes to mind for me is Voyeurs by the band Two. the first time i played that album, i thought to myself "what is this sh*t?". i wanted to b*tch slap Bobbie back into diva-land. but since i never sell trade or give away anything, i just throw it in a box. that one went in the box quickly & was forgotten.

after Resurrection by Halford came out, i started re-discovering all the Priest & Fight albums. then i remembered the Two project & dug it out. after listening to it a second time, with more tolerant ears, i learned to enjoy it for what it was. a decent commercial industrial rock record, with some decent tunes.

many people still hate that record, i no longer do though. it's not that i think..."Halford can do no wrong". it's that i think, there was nothing wrong with any release he's made thus far.

SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 2:28 am

Yeah, that's the best when that happens, it's like getting a surprise free CD. I have a shelf where I put the "don't like at first" CD's; and I almost always give them another chance eventually. I'd say about one out of ten I actually end up liking a lot. Often they are somewhat experimental discs, and I just don't get it the first time. But when I do catch on I tend to get attached because they often have some depth that I just wasn't in the mood to appreciate when I first got it. I can think of lots of non-metal CD's this happened with (some too embarrasing to list here); but the metal CD that comes most to mind is Anacrusis "Screams and Whispers"; I was puzzled by it at first, but now think it's one of the greatest classics ever. Great topic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 2:47 am

It's happened to me many times. Ultraspank's debut is one that comes to mind. I had that CD for a long time and didn't like. Then while in Korea me and my roommate were hanging out, drinking in our room. I saw this CD and couldn't remember anything about it other than the fact that I hated it.

I put it on, and crapped my pants at how awesome it was! Hahaha. I don't get it, I never will. It just never clicked that first time, and now it's one of my favorite nu-metalish/modern metal CDs. Truly brilliant.

I know recently a lot of prog bands I once totally disliked are really good to me—Riverside and Porcupine Tree are the two that come to mind. I never liked them at first, but now for some reason I totally dig them. I still think Pain of Salvation is overrated, though. And Be is crap. =)

Anyway, I learned years ago to never give up on something immediately.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 4:51 am

Nevermore's original Enemies of Reality record sucked because of the production but then they re-released it remastered and it sounded alot better and i changed my mind.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 8:29 am

Yea, I had the same experience with Dokken's DYSFUNCTIONAL album. I bought it when it first came out, listened to it two or three times, thought "ehhh, it's OK I guess," and put it on the shelf for over a year. Then I picked up the ONE LIVE NIGHT "unplugged" album and was very impressed with the live version of "The Maze" from DYSFUNCTIONAL on that disc. It prompted me to take another listen to the original and I found myself enjoying the whole album a lot more than I expected. Nowadays I reach for the DYSFUNCTIONAL album more than most of the other Dokken CDs in my collection.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 9:59 am

Iron Maiden - The X Factor

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 10:39 am

I felt that way about Alice in Chains. When they 1st hit the scene, I hated them and anything related to Seattle or grunge. My roommate at the time would play them over and over and it just irritated me to no end. Fast forward a few years and now I love 'em. Now that I'm older and more mature (somewhat), I'm a little more open-minded to different forms of metal.

That being said, however, I don't think I'll ever embrace nu-metal or St. Anger. sick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 11:52 am

Wayne - Metal Church, was like this for me couldn't stand it when it came out first and it must have sat on the shelf for years (only kept it because of the cool cover) before I spun it again and now I love every bleeding track on it.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 12:05 pm

Yeah this has happened quite a bit.

The main one I remember was Overkill's "Under the Influence" album. It was also my 1st time hearing the band at the time. I could not handle the vocals and thought the music was bland. A week later I gave it another chance and was blown away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 1:06 pm

I can think of a bunch of times that happened to me but one was
Metallica's Load. First time I heard it I couldn't believe how
much I hated it. About a year or so later I saw a video on the
old ECW Hardcore TV infomercial hyping a match (for any wrestling fans
I think it was for the Taz/Sabu match at the first PPV) and they played
King Nothing over it. I went back and checked it out again and it
didn't sound half bad. I actually liked it though not as much as
the older stuff but it's still a good hard rock record.

Another was Bruce Dickinson's Balls To Picasso. I liked Tears of
the Dragon but everything else didn't click. After a while I
popped it back in and loved it. Now I listen to it as much as any
of his other solo albums.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 3:25 pm

Yes, to me it happend last year with NATIVE TONGUE by POISON. I realy hated it when it came out but now i like it (still their debut is my fave). Same with ENDANGERED SPECIES by Y&T, didnt like it when it came out but now i think its a good album.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 4:37 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I'm still kinda on the fence about this one. When it first came out, I hated, Hated, HATED it with a passion, I traded it away after only owning it for a couple of weeks. But I recently re-purchased it (having a hole in my otherwise complete Maiden discography bugged me) and it's not nearly as bad as I remembered. Still not a GREAT Maiden album in my book, but better than I thought back when it was current.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 5:12 pm

troublezone wrote:
Nevermore's original Enemies of Reality record sucked because of the production but then they re-released it remastered and it sounded alot better and i changed my mind.
That album sounded perfectly fine. They didn't need to remix it at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 5:13 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Yea, I had the same experience with Dokken's DYSFUNCTIONAL album. I bought it when it first came out, listened to it two or three times, thought "ehhh, it's OK I guess," and put it on the shelf for over a year. Then I picked up the ONE LIVE NIGHT "unplugged" album and was very impressed with the live version of "The Maze" from DYSFUNCTIONAL on that disc. It prompted me to take another listen to the original and I found myself enjoying the whole album a lot more than I expected. Nowadays I reach for the DYSFUNCTIONAL album more than most of the other Dokken CDs in my collection.
Dysfunctional is a great album. I felt this way about Shadowlife—and I still do. Haha. Shadowlife is an album I simply cannot get into. I think it's terrible.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 5:31 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shadowlife is an album I simply cannot get into. I think it's terrible.

Haha, SHADOWLIFE is a weird one for sure!! I actually like some of the songs on it but I don't think it should've been released under the Dokken name.

I avoided SHADOWLIFE like the plague for quite a while after it came out, due to all the bad press it got... but I finally broke down and bought it from Columbia House when they were having one of their "clearance sales" for $2.99 or whatever it was, several years later... for that price, I didn't think it was a bad CD. If I'd paid $15 for it as a new release, though, I probably would've been pretty pissed. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 5:34 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shadowlife is an album I simply cannot get into. I think it's terrible.

Haha, SHADOWLIFE is a weird one for sure!! I actually like some of the songs on it but I don't think it should've been released under the Dokken name.

I avoided SHADOWLIFE like the plague for quite a while after it came out, due to all the bad press it got... but I finally broke down and bought it from Columbia House when they were having one of their "clearance sales" for $2.99 or whatever it was, several years later... for that price, I didn't think it was a bad CD. If I'd paid $15 for it as a new release, though, I probably would've been pretty pissed. Wink
I honestly can't even remember if I liked any songs on it. It's been a long time since I listened to it. Things change, of course, I may dig it now. But I doubt it.

Everything since has been really good, and Erase The Slate is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28412

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 7:15 pm

There are a few bands I had to hear certain material by before they clicked.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 7:26 pm

Hed PE - Blackout

I'm not normally a rap-metal guy and that's kind of what this is so when I first heard it I hated it (I'd won it from a radio station).

I was gonna sell it and I was on the way to the local Hastings to do so (before I knew about trading sites) and for some reason popped it back in. I was simply blown away! I love this CD! Can't explain it. That's the one that sticks out the most for me...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 7:28 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I'm
still kinda on the fence about this one. When it first came out, I
hated, Hated, HATED it with a passion, I traded it away after only
owning it for a couple of weeks. But I recently re-purchased it (having
a hole in my otherwise complete Maiden discography bugged me) and it's
not nearly as bad as I remembered. Still not a GREAT Maiden album in my
book, but better than I thought back when it was current.

I hated it too, but I've since grown to appreciate it. Still not my
favorite Maiden disc, but I like the dark feel it has. No other Maiden
disc has that same vibe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 7:51 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Hed PE - Blackout

I'm not normally a rap-metal guy and that's kind of what this is so when I first heard it I hated it (I'd won it from a radio station).

I was gonna sell it and I was on the way to the local Hastings to do so (before I knew about trading sites) and for some reason popped it back in. I was simply blown away! I love this CD! Can't explain it. That's the one that sticks out the most for me...
Excellent CD. Great band...to a point. Their last two are pretty bad. Basically a different band with the same singer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 8:21 pm

For me, I would say Tiamat, Venom, Machine Head, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Vital Remains, Deathrow, Mortification, Pungent Stench, Samhain, TSOL, Pestilence, Youth Of Today, and Watchtower were all bands that I initially hated, but got into heavily later.

It was all a matter of hearing the right material for me.

)+(
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 8:56 pm

Suffocation, the first time I heard them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 9:27 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I'm with you on that--the first Suffocation I ever heard was Breeding The Spawn, which was easily their worst album (and crappiest production).

I didn't like this band AT ALL until I heard Effigy Of The Forgotten.

)+(
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 1:03 am

STIGMATADOR wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I'm with you on that--the first Suffocation I ever heard was Breeding The Spawn, which was easily their worst album (and crappiest production).

I didn't like this band AT ALL until I heard Effigy Of The Forgotten.

)+(

Effigy is the first one I heard, specifically Liege of Inveracity. Within a few weeks it went from "This is the worst so-called music I have ever heard" to "This is some awesome stuff".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Second chance mind change   Second chance mind change Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Second chance mind change
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next