Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...

Go down 
+27
mr.electric39
metallicleora
JBall_Z
Ultimate.Nightmare
thejokeriv
allthingsmetal
Smindas
Troublezone
bassman
tul
Olafsto
tohostudios
jstate
Ben Grimm
Metal Misfit
Fat Freddy
Waylon
Shawn Of Fire
exact33
manny
sheets
kmorg
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
ultmetal
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Empty
PostSubject: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:45 am

Quote :
"Animal (smurf Like A Beast)" was clearly the filthiest of the PMRC's "Filthy Fifteen" list, and while it certainly caused a stir at the time, W.A.S.P. frontman Blackie Lawless now regrets it, especially as he has renewed his religious faith.

"Words are the most powerful things we possess," stressed Lawless as he talked to Bryan Reesman of Bryanreesman.com. "They shape our very lives and determine who and what we are. Some may find it remarkable, but I was born again when I was 11 years old. I was very active in my church until I was 18, and when I left the church, I went about as far away as a person could go when I then studied the occult for three years. I wrote that song a couple of years after I stopped that study. I went for 20 more years before I returned to my Christian faith, which is where I am now. That song was put into my life for a reason. I was talking to Alice Cooper, who is also born again, earlier this year, and we both feel the same about our early work. Although a lot of the music we did early on was as diametrically opposed to the way we had been brought up, a lot of the early songs we did were laced with those Christian valves. He and I were talking and said, all we need now is Marilyn Manson and we could start a band. The world would never believe it! I said all that to say this: I renounce, denounce and pronounce that I will never play that song ['Animal'] live again. Actually, I've not played it live for several years."

To read the entire Blackie Lawless interview visit http://www.bryanreesman.com/blog/2010/09/21/blackie-lawless-renounces-his-past-sins/.

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/news10/0922was.shtml

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:53 am

what a shame!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:53 am

Quote :
I said all that to say this: I renounce, denounce and pronounce that I will never play that song ['Animal'] live again. Actually, I've not played it live for several years."

That's weak. It's just a song. You wrote it, played it and it brought you noteriety. Own up to it.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:03 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
I said all that to say this: I renounce, denounce and pronounce that I will never play that song ['Animal'] live again. Actually, I've not played it live for several years."

That's weak. It's just a song. You wrote it, played it and it brought you noteriety. Own up to it.

If he feels like he can't play that song anymore then who are we to judge him? A lot of us regret stuff we've done in the past and do not want to re-live it. Now if he were to feel the way he does and play that song anyways, then that would be something to criticize.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Me. I'm here to judge him.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Right on, Blackie!

He and Alive don't need MM to form a band though..... Bring in Dave Mustaine instead Very Happy

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:11 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Isn't that what he did? He said he wrote the song and then said he regrets it and won't play it anymore. Is he supposed to keep playing it out of some weird double-think mentality?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:21 pm

No, I'm saying he should continue to play it live, regardless of his current beliefs.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:22 pm

sheets wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Isn't that what he did? He said he wrote the song and then said he regrets it and won't play it anymore. Is he supposed to keep playing it out of some weird double-think mentality?

yes
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:24 pm

Well, that is just stupid, manny and MG71. He doesn't owe anyone anything.

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:26 pm

I'd love to hear what he and Alice could put together.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:36 pm

He owes me. I bought the albums. I bought a ticket to his show (which got cancelled, btw). I became aware of the band due to that song and dammit, if I went to see them live in 2010 (which is unlikely), I'd want to hear it.

It makes as much sense if The Who dropped 'My Generation' from the set-list because of the line "I hope I die before I get old" just because they're now old. Or the Stones making a statement "Well, we've pretty much got all the satisfaction we need at this age, so we're dropping that song from our set-list."

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:43 pm

I really dont see any difference between this and when artists wont play songs they made earlier in their careers and dont consider them 'good enough'. If he chooses not to play it, thats a choice. If you dont want to go his shows because he is not playing that song - thats a choice.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Quote :
If he chooses not to play it, thats a choice. If you dont want to go his shows because he is not playing that song - thats a choice.

I agree with this.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:48 pm

kmorg wrote:
Well, that is just stupid, manny and MG71. He doesn't owe anyone anything.

I don't really believe an artist owes me or anyone else anything, and I do respect his faith, which is a good thing since I share the same faith as he does. As a fan I view this song as a signature song of this group and when I was a kid I checked the band simply on the basis of this song, so if I went saw them live I would be disappointed if the song was excluded from the set list.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:53 pm

He could change it to, "I F WITH the Beast".
Back to top Go down
Waylon
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 305

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:53 pm

I respect Blackie for this stance... when giving in and playing the song against his better judgement would be the EASY thing to do. And BTW, Blackie doesn't owe ANYONE ANYTHING.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Waylon wrote:
And BTW, Blackie doesn't owe ANYONE ANYTHING.

I think he still owes Tipper Gore and the Blue-Haired Connecticans and debt of appreciation and gratitude.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 2:04 pm

I guess if he doesn't wanna play the song anymore, it's his call...

Though I must say that whenI saw W.A.S.P. in 1992, when Blackie was going thru his I-Wanna-Be-A-Serious-Artiste-Like-My-Hero-Pete-Townshend "Crimson Idol" period, he didn't play "Animal" at that gig either, and people (myself included) were kinda honked off.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

I've seen W.A.S.P. 3x over the years and have never heard them perform that song.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 2:30 pm

I've heard him ply it, and I've heard him exclude it. Didn't miss it one bit when he didn't play it, as his whole catalogue is so brilliant!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 2:31 pm

I personally don't care whether he plays it or not but if you really love the song I can understand disappointment in him not playing it anymore. That said, he doesn't have to play what he doesn't want to play. There's still plenty of good W.A.S.P. songs to fill a satisfying set list.

If someone's entire inclination to go see W.A.S.P. play hinges on this one song, well that's just silly, I think. He's been saying publicly for years the song will not be performed anymore so it's not like he's being shady about it anyway.

For anyone that still wants to hear it live there's a couple of live albums you can pick from.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 2:32 pm

Well I guess bands will just have to cover it then. That's one of his best songs.

I know how he feels though. There is a lot I have regret doing musically.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Lurideath wrote:

I know how he feels though. There is a lot I have regret doing musically.

That polka death rapcore with ukelele project you did has to be up at the top Smile

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 3:59 pm

I saw W.A.S.P. many many moons ago and they played it then. We were all jazzed during the set hoping it would get played (at that point I had never even heard the song just knew about it through it's notoriety) so it was quite the thrill.

If it's no longer in the setlist,that's his call and I respect his decision. It is a shame though.It is a great song.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...   Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Lawless on "Animal" and his faith...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next