Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.



 
HomeRegisterLog in

 

 The change in Blackie Lawless

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
Troublezone

Number of posts : 13736
Age : 44

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 7:00 am

I wonder if people would care as much if it was Dee Snider saying a prayer? I guess since WASP had such a dark image in the past, people have a hard time with Blackie's change in attitude.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862
Age : 45

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 11:08 am

Eyesore wrote:
Approval Guy wrote:
Although I'm sure he is well intentioned with this prayer I don't think a W.A.S.P concert is really the best medium for it.

Watching this I can't help but feel that W.A.SP have become the opposite of what they set out to be, Blackie in particular has some kind of stuck up holier than thou attitude. He's perfectly entitled to his political and religious beliefs but to be honest I don't give a rats ass about them, just because your famous doesn't mean your opinions on these things matter more.
I don't see how anyone could even begin to complain about this, especially in the kind of manner quoted above. It was like 30 seconds long, and he wasn't preaching at all, he wasn't giving his opinions on religion, he was praying. HUGE difference.


The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 25679 At least someone here actually watched the video, and put it into context!! The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 25679

_________________
The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Metal_metropolis_logo2
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919
Age : 55

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 12:06 pm

I just watched the video on Blackie's Facebook page. I don't know why I can't view video links on niceboard. Anyway, it was a short prayer, respectful to the unbelievers, and an awesome gesture that surely the survivors of the victims can appreciate. One thing you can say about Blackie, he certainly is a passionate man.

I like it.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8583
Age : 47

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 1:36 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
Anyway, it was a short prayer, respectful to the unbelievers, and an awesome gesture that surely the survivors of the victims can appreciate. One thing you can say about Blackie, he certainly is a passionate man.

I like it.


Good post.It was a great gesture to his fellow man.I see no preaching involved.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25523
Age : 49

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 2:35 pm

I found it a bit odd to be honest. To acknowledge the tragedy and dedicate the song or performance to their memory is one thing, but the prayer seemed a little out of place, especially at a WASP show.

If this is the new and improved Blackie for 2011, good for him, it's his business. Other musicians have converted or found Jeebus and it doesn't bother me. As long as it's good, I'll still buy his albums.

If I had one critique, I'd say he could be a little more subtle about his beliefs (like Mustaine or Cooper), but this is Blackie Lawless we're talking about here. I don't think the man knows the word "subtle".

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12259
Age : 45

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Approval Guy wrote:
Satanism at a Venom concert or christianity at a Stryper concert is expected, christianity at a WASP concert isn't. But you guys are right it isn't a big deal, I wouldn't be offended by it even though I could understand if someone was. I'm just saying that Blackie has been annoying as hell lately in general.
Why isn't it? Blackie was a Christian as a child, rebelled against it as a late teen, as many young adults do, and rediscovered his faith in later years, as many older, wiser adults do. He's been open about this, real fans should know, so this coming out at a W.A.S.P. concert should come as no surprise to anyone.

And before anyone says anything, I am not Christian. Not religious in the least.

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Hail-Satin-12388639980_xlarge

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Hom_fb10
Back to top Go down
mountains
Metal novice
Metal novice
mountains

Number of posts : 11
Age : 29

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 11:24 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I wonder if people would care as much if it was Dee Snider saying a prayer? I guess since WASP had such a dark image in the past, people have a hard time with Blackie's change in attitude.

I think it has to do with the band's identity. I think it would be a little funny sounding to hear Twisted Sister praying, but people wouldn't care very much because Twisted Sister were always a fun-loving and positive band.

Now, if Tom Araya who is Christian started praying to Jesus at a Slayer show, that would have a reaction about 1,000 times worse than how some people reacted to Blackie's prayer. W.A.S.P. have been a spiritual band for a long time now, not overtly Christian but with songs about a loving God and the afterlife, etc. With a band like Slayer, it would sound ridiculous and the fans would be downright angry.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238
Age : 44

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 1:01 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I applaud Blackie for doing it. He had something on his mind and the nerve to say it.

It's a nice change from the retarded "hail satan" garbage.

Respect the satanists too please.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 22665
Age : 46

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 1:05 pm

krokus wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
I applaud Blackie for doing it. He had something on his mind and the nerve to say it.

It's a nice change from the retarded "hail satan" garbage.

Respect the satanists too please.

naw - they have it easy. No one criticizes bands for hailing satan at concerts.

_________________
The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 The_ki10
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238
Age : 44

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 1:12 pm

exact33 wrote:
krokus wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
I applaud Blackie for doing it. He had something on his mind and the nerve to say it.

It's a nice change from the retarded "hail satan" garbage.

Respect the satanists too please.

naw - they have it easy. No one criticizes bands for hailing satan at concerts.

Thats true Laughing
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25523
Age : 49

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 1:16 pm

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Spinal-tap-on-the-simpsons

"We salute you, our half-inflated dark lord"

_________________
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 22665
Age : 46

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 9:03 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Spinal-tap-on-the-simpsons

"We salute you, our half-inflated dark lord"

boooo! Get back to the music!!!

_________________
The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 The_ki10
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828
Age : 52

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:46 pm

krokus wrote:
I liked him more before, today he is to influenced by religion and dont think for himself anymore.


I would disagree.... He probably thinks more for himself know then going 'with the flow'....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 22665
Age : 46

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 12:04 am

mr.electric39 wrote:
krokus wrote:
I liked him more before, today he is to influenced by religion and dont think for himself anymore.


I would disagree.... He probably thinks more for himself know then going 'with the flow'....

plus this stereotype that if you are religious, you cant think for yourself is utter nonsense. Its an attempt by those who dont like religion to make generalizations and try to frame people in neat little categories. I believe in God but I dont take everything anyone says as truth - I do think for myself and when someone says something, I have to evaluate it. And that is the norm - not this silly idea that when someone in a position of leadership says something, everyone immediately agrees.


_________________
The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 The_ki10
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
Troublezone

Number of posts : 13736
Age : 44

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 2:50 am

mountains wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
I wonder if people would care as much if it was Dee Snider saying a prayer? I guess since WASP had such a dark image in the past, people have a hard time with Blackie's change in attitude.

I think it has to do with the band's identity. I think it would be a little funny sounding to hear Twisted Sister praying, but people wouldn't care very much because Twisted Sister were always a fun-loving and positive band.

Now, if Tom Araya who is Christian started praying to Jesus at a Slayer show, that would have a reaction about 1,000 times worse than how some people reacted to Blackie's prayer. W.A.S.P. have been a spiritual band for a long time now, not overtly Christian but with songs about a loving God and the afterlife, etc. With a band like Slayer, it would sound ridiculous and the fans would be downright angry.

Twisted Sister had a few songs in the past that were a warning against evil and had a slightly Christian angle to them... (Burn in Hell and Sin After Sin in particular). So they had their more "serious" moments too.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238
Age : 44

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 3:28 am

exact33 wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
krokus wrote:
I liked him more before, today he is to influenced by religion and dont think for himself anymore.


I would disagree.... He probably thinks more for himself know then going 'with the flow'....

plus this stereotype that if you are religious, you cant think for yourself is utter nonsense. Its an attempt by those who dont like religion to make generalizations and try to frame people in neat little categories. I believe in God but I dont take everything anyone says as truth - I do think for myself and when someone says something, I have to evaluate it. And that is the norm - not this silly idea that when someone in a position of leadership says something, everyone immediately agrees.


Of course you have excepcions but most of the ULTRA-religious people dont think for themselfs, they follow blindly without thinking what they are telling them. If 95% are like that, you can generalize. You are the other 5% thats why dont feel ofended.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
Troublezone

Number of posts : 13736
Age : 44

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 3:32 am

krokus wrote:
exact33 wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
krokus wrote:
I liked him more before, today he is to influenced by religion and dont think for himself anymore.


I would disagree.... He probably thinks more for himself know then going 'with the flow'....

plus this stereotype that if you are religious, you cant think for yourself is utter nonsense. Its an attempt by those who dont like religion to make generalizations and try to frame people in neat little categories. I believe in God but I dont take everything anyone says as truth - I do think for myself and when someone says something, I have to evaluate it. And that is the norm - not this silly idea that when someone in a position of leadership says something, everyone immediately agrees.


Of course you have excepcions but most of the ULTRA-religious people dont think for themselfs, they follow blindly without thinking what they are telling them. If 95% are like that, you can generalize. You are the other 5% thats why dont feel ofended.

Same with the average kids at metal shows that think satan is cool. They blindly follow also.


Last edited by Troublezone on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238
Age : 44

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 3:34 am

Troublezone wrote:
krokus wrote:
exact33 wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
krokus wrote:
I liked him more before, today he is to influenced by religion and dont think for himself anymore.


I would disagree.... He probably thinks more for himself know then going 'with the flow'....

plus this stereotype that if you are religious, you cant think for yourself is utter nonsense. Its an attempt by those who dont like religion to make generalizations and try to frame people in neat little categories. I believe in God but I dont take everything anyone says as truth - I do think for myself and when someone says something, I have to evaluate it. And that is the norm - not this silly idea that when someone in a position of leadership says something, everyone immediately agrees.


Of course you have excepcions but most of the ULTRA-religious people dont think for themselfs, they follow blindly without thinking what they are telling them. If 95% are like that, you can generalize. You are the other 5% thats why dont feel ofended.

Same with the average kids at metal shows that think satan is cool. The blindly follow also.

But for a joke, dont think most of those kids take Satan serious. Most of them dont become a member of the satanic church and start following rules made by people that love to control others.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
Troublezone

Number of posts : 13736
Age : 44

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 3:39 am

But it can also be seen as a thinly disguised veil from atheists like (Kerry King) that want to draw people away from any positive view of God. Of coarse there are CRAZY religious people that completely misrepresent God too, but that's a different story.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238
Age : 44

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 3:43 am

Troublezone wrote:
But it can also be seen as a thinly disguised veil from atheists like (Kerry King) that want to draw people away from any positive view of God. Of coarse there are whacko religious people that completely misrepresent God too, but that's a different story.

Those whacko religious people are sick of course and they take religion to the extreme.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 22665
Age : 46

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 7:49 am

krokus wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
But it can also be seen as a thinly disguised veil from atheists like (Kerry King) that want to draw people away from any positive view of God. Of coarse there are whacko religious people that completely misrepresent God too, but that's a different story.

Those whacko religious people are sick of course and they take religion to the extreme.

just as lots of others take stuff to extremes and hurt others while doing it - i.e. environmental wackos who throw blood on others or bomb cars and kill to save animals.

_________________
The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 The_ki10
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 22665
Age : 46

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 7:59 am

krokus wrote:
exact33 wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:
krokus wrote:
I liked him more before, today he is to influenced by religion and dont think for himself anymore.


I would disagree.... He probably thinks more for himself know then going 'with the flow'....

plus this stereotype that if you are religious, you cant think for yourself is utter nonsense. Its an attempt by those who dont like religion to make generalizations and try to frame people in neat little categories. I believe in God but I dont take everything anyone says as truth - I do think for myself and when someone says something, I have to evaluate it. And that is the norm - not this silly idea that when someone in a position of leadership says something, everyone immediately agrees.


Of course you have excepcions but most of the ULTRA-religious people dont think for themselfs, they follow blindly without thinking what they are telling them. If 95% are like that, you can generalize. You are the other 5% thats why dont feel ofended.

the simple fact is 95% of people are not ultra religious - and even then I would dispute their following blindly. Most people - religious and non-religious - think for themselves, although not all the time. We all follow stuff we believe in, whether it be a diehard of a political party or a diehard follower of a band.

It is stereotyping people that if they are religious - even ultra religious - that they dont think for themselves. The point is to be negative about a broad range of people with sweeping generalizations. Perhaps tolerance should be exhibited instead of showing ill will towards a group of people. Being tolerant even means showing tolerance to those you dont like, even though the tolerance crowd doesnt want to admit it.

_________________
The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 The_ki10
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546
Age : 31

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 8:17 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
If I had one critique, I'd say he could be a little more subtle about his beliefs (like Mustaine or Cooper), but this is Blackie Lawless we're talking about here. I don't think the man knows the word "subtle".
Mustaine is about as subtle as yellow veneers. Anyway, I don't particularly mind that Blackie threw in a prayer, a tribute is a tribute. My issue with Blackie nowadays is his self-righteous nature regarding playing certain W.A.S.P. songs.

krokus wrote:
Of course you have excepcions but most of the ULTRA-religious people dont think for themselfs, they follow blindly without thinking what they are telling them. If 95% are like that, you can generalize. You are the other 5% thats why dont feel ofended.
I'm as non-religious as they come, but you'd have to be incredibly narrow-minded to think that 95% of religious people are the non-thinking, conformist sheep you're painting them as. Having any "belief" is a struggle, whether it's religious or not. To have conviction in one's view, whether you're a Christian, atheist or whatever, requires a lot of internal consideration of its validity. You'd be surprised how few people would just blindly accept things. Why do you think there is so much variation in the way different individuals practice the same religion?

_________________
The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 MnoAeeo
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238
Age : 44

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 10:02 am

They dont think for themselfs because they follow rules set by religion only (thanks to holy book, society/family education, church....). It so simple to understand i think. No more words are needed to explain. Religion is not a bad thing only in excess. Religion is necessary for a lot of people because they need the 10 commandments, if not they might KILL, but fear of god controls them and keeps them on the right track, that greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt Very Happy
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3192
Age : 49

The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 10:31 am

krokus wrote:
They dont think for themselfs because they follow rules set by religion only (thanks to holy book, society/family education, church....). It so simple to understand i think. No more words are needed to explain. Religion is not a bad thing only in excess. Religion is necessary for a lot of people because they need the 10 commandments, if not they might KILL, but fear of god controls them and keeps them on the right track, that greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt Very Happy

But what is excess??? At what point is one thing too much, and who deems what and when that point comes to fruition? You could say the same thing about heavy metal, being on a computer, watching T.V, eating, in regards to excess. I'm not religious either (though probably spiritual), but your view points seem to be laced with stereotypes regarding those whose lives don't parallel that of your own.


I have a friend from high school (was probably my best friend during those days), who I barely recognize these days. His emotional growth has receded to the point that as a high school kid, he was more functional in his day to day life. His views on race, alternative life styles, politics, socio-economics and those who are different/or think differently from himself are not only sad, but are in some ways down right frightening. I suppose it's shocking from my standpoint when you witness someone who has gone backward in life rather than forward. If somebody doesn't share his view point, then he not only gets defensive about it, but down right confrontational. The funny thing is, I've never heard his parents view any of those same thoughts!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The change in Blackie Lawless   The change in Blackie Lawless - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
The change in Blackie Lawless
Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: