Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Powerhouse vocalists?

Go down 
+28
Infinite
BearOnUnicycle
metal_lightning_attack
shamgar75
Wurthless
holydiver97595
jettafiend
Hamer12
Thrasher73
Leatherface
James B.
Olafsto
Shawn Of Fire
Troublezone
Wayne
Gilbert
ZetaReticuli
Eyesore
Temple of Blood
manny
Vexer6
exact33
ultmetal
DallasBlack
tohostudios
mc666
Lurideath
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:01 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Yeah Shawn heard it when it was released. Very killer album and one of the best singers in metal right now.

The guy singing for Exciter now days has that similar voice.

I wonder why more people don't sing like this in bands these days. Seems like most singers don't even try.

Some probably can't. I'd like to be able to sing harsh and melodic like a lot of them, but no matter how hard I try I can't. I can sing cleanly or growl, but nothing in between.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:09 pm

I can do it if I work up to it...but I haven't been in a band for a long time that required anything close to it.

Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm sure it's not your thing musically, but Daniel Heiman (ex-Lost Horizon) has a pretty killer range.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Infinite wrote:
I'm sure it's not your thing musically, but Daniel Heiman (ex-Lost Horizon) has a pretty killer range.

those are two great albums.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Lost Horizon rules!

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Eli from "the sacrificed." Their last one released just this year is killer, that dude can belt!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:33 pm

I don't see how Corpsegrinder isn't a "powerhouse" vocalist. That term by itself really means nothing to me.

Even Steve Perry is a "powerhouse" at what he did.

A singer like John Bush has a "big" voice but doesn't always really sound good, interesting, or in key.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 8:46 am

Rhapsody
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 9:17 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
That term by itself really means nothing to me.

If someone asked me to list who I thought were "powerhouse" vocalists, a death metal vocalist would not immediately spring to mind. I guess it'll be relative to each person's own familiarity and tastes.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 9:50 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
That term by itself really means nothing to me.

If someone asked me to list who I thought were "powerhouse" vocalists, a death metal vocalist would not immediately spring to mind.

I agree with that statement. I can do real good death growls and I sure ain't no "powerhouse" vocalist (attn grammar police: I did that on purpose).
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 10:19 am

I guess to me an"powerhouse" vocalist is one who has not only great range but lung capacity and the strength to project his/her voice with volume, control, and clarity. The kind of singer who makes you wonder, "does that guy even need a mike?!?"
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 11:42 am

TOB just has to be contrary. Smile
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 12:31 pm

DevZor wrote:
I guess to me an"powerhouse" vocalist is one who has not only great range but lung capacity and the strength to project his/her voice with volume, control, and clarity. The kind of singer who makes you wonder, "does that guy even need a mike?!?"

sounds like Toby Hitchcock to me

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 1:14 pm

exact33 wrote:
DevZor wrote:

sounds like Toby Hitchcock to me

Russell Allen

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Anyone mention D.C.?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Anyone mention D.C.?

You mean Cooper? That's Toho's favorite vocalist (or was). If he counts then you can add Lance King, but I think those two are too clean of singers for the purpose of this thread. Plus I Lurideath hates the music those guys usually front.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Ripper Owens (Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Solo, Dio's disciples)
Udo (Accept, Solo)
Mark Tornillo (the new accept just kills)
Blackie lawless (WASP)
Biff Bifford (Saxon)
Rhett Forrester (Riot, Jack Starr, Solo)
Veronica Freeman (Benedictum)
Anni Devil (Hysterica)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 5:20 pm

I don't pay much attention to metal vocalists these days, but I do like J.B. from Grand Magus/Spiritual Beggars alot:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Powerhouse vocalists?   Powerhouse vocalists? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Powerhouse vocalists?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3