Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...

Go down 
+38
holydiver97595
arachnoplasma
TheDoctor'sScarf
allthingsmetal
QuothTheRaven
Shawn Of Fire
adrian
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
metalinmyveins
Nico
kmorg
Spiner202
Gilbert
Witchfinder
stormspell
Troublezone
Jesusandmetal23
Joe
stepcousin
nevermore
bassman
Wurthless
powermacho
Olafsto
DeathCult
Stender
Lurideath
chewie
metalhead777
Temple of Blood
krokus
Leatherface
ultmetal
mc666
James B.
Thrasher73
Metallic Blaze
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 7:37 am

A lot of the genre descriptions and understandings are based on personal opinion. What is or what isn't speed metal or any other genre for that matter, can be held in popular consensus as a reflection of how right or wrong you may be. But in the end ... it's all in the ear of the beholder.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:39 am

Sanctuary...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 am

Back in the day the terms "speed metal" and "thrash metal" were inter-changeable, you'd hear both used to describe the same bands. So to me they're more or less the same.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 10:27 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Back in the day the terms "speed metal" and "thrash metal" were inter-changeable, you'd hear both used to describe the same bands. So to me they're more or less the same.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 1:25 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I know, I'm a genre nazi. Embarassed

I am too, so I will shut up (for the most part) in this thread Very Happy

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 1:32 pm

I still don't know the difference between speed metal and thrash.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 1:58 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Speed metal tends to be more:
melodic, consonant. Sometimes almost like a sped up IRON MAIDEN.
tends to have melodic vocals

Thrash tends to be more:
dissonant, crunchy
tends to have raspier vocals

I think of "Spreading the Disease" and "Fistful of Metal" as speed metal albums and "Among the Living" as a thrash metal album.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 2:23 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Thrash tends to be more:
dissonant, crunchy

I think of "Spreading the Disease" and "Fistful of Metal" as speed metal albums and "Among the Living" as a thrash metal album.

This is my understanding too but the line is so blurry with bands that it's impossible to tell in many situations. Further, speed metal as a term is rarely used anymore so its definition is murky.

Last edited by Witchfinder on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
This is my understanding too but the line is so blurry with bands that it's impossible to tell in many situation. Further, speed metal as a term is rarely used anymore so its definition is murky.

When it starts getting into the hair splitting "this album by such-and-such a band is speed metal, but then this album by the same band is thrash metal," I just say "Awww, I give up, the hell with it." Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
This is my understanding too but the line is so blurry with bands that it's impossible to tell in many situation. Further, speed metal as a term is rarely used anymore so its definition is murky.

When it starts getting into the hair splitting "this album by such-and-such a band is speed metal, but then this album by the same band is thrash metal," I just say "Awww, I give up, the hell with it." Very Happy

Agree! It's all Metal to me!!!!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Thrash tends to be more:
dissonant, crunchy

I agree 100% ToB. You nailed it!

your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 604261
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 12:08 am

Do I even need to say it?

Exciter!
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 2:43 pm

First BLIND GUARDIAN albums are pure speed metal too. Later they became more power/epic but FOLLOW THE BLIND is pure speed metal!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Yeah! Great call Krokus!!! I freeking love early Blind Guardian. They were much better than what they became IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 8:45 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Yeah! Great call Krokus!!! I freeking love early Blind Guardian. They were much better than what they became IMHO.

yeahhhh I agree. Love those two albums.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 9:03 pm

I always separated Speed Metal from Thrash Metal by the vocals...Agent Steel, if they had raspier, more staccato vocals, would be Thrash...IMO.

But whatever...

Speaking of Blind Guardian, my favorite is still Imaginations From The Other Side..."I'm Alive" is amazing...

Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:44 pm

I'm surprised only one person mentioned Motorhead. I've always thought of them as speed metal more than anything else. I guess where they fell in history though, maybe they should be more proto-speed. Talk about splitting hairs! your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 82702
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Even 'way back when' when the term speed metal first popped up, it was hard to define. Back then, if it was faster than Priest or Maiden, etc then it was speed metal(ish). (Kind of like speeding up Rapid Fire).

It is an elusive term to apply but when I think of it, I usually think of 'songs' and not bands. A lot of power metal, thrash metal, NWOBHM have songs that can be labeled as 'speed'.

I haven't heard it for a while but Attacker--'the second coming' came to mind to me. As well as Powermad's "The madness begins" ep.

I usually do not care about genre labeling unless a band claims a descriptor/label for the image of it but their music does not reflect it.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 1:14 am

krokus wrote:
First BLIND GUARDIAN albums are pure speed metal too. Later they became more power/epic but FOLLOW THE BLIND is pure speed metal!!!!!!!

If someone asks me what speed metal is, i make them listen to Battalions of Fear and Follow the Blind.

Speed metal at its best headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 2:58 am

Gilbert wrote:
krokus wrote:

If someone asks me what speed metal is, i make them listen to Battalions of Fear and Follow the Blind.

Speed metal at its best your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 11840 your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 11840 your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 11840 your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 11840

your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 604261
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Stender wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

yeahhhh I agree. Love those two albums.

Yeah, graet albums. Also the first two SCANNER albums are amazing, same with the first mini lp and lp by HELLOWEEN, nice speed metal!!!!!!! Also WARRANT from Germany (yes again) were a speed metal band and also the first STRANGER lp(yes, again from Germany), is amazing.
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 9:19 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Deliverance use to make a point to say in interviews that they weren't a thrash metal band, but a speed metal band. I suppose the difference being a thin line that mostly has to do with the vocals approach.

I'm really surprised to hear that, because they really have that thrash metal "crunch" in their sound. Maybe I need to listen to Deliverance more often. Speed metal and thrash metal tend to mix a lot, though, and while a lot of bands fall into both categories (like Anthrax, as previously mentioned), I think there are still lots of bands that you can recognize as pure speed metal (Exciter, Znowhite on their two EPs, etc.) or as pure thrash metal (Slayer, Kreator, etc.)

Krokus - Warrant and Vectom rule supreme!! cheers
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 10:06 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Thrash tends to be more:
dissonant, crunchy

This is my understanding too but the line is so blurry with bands that it's impossible to tell in many situations. Further, speed metal as a term is rarely used anymore so its definition is murky.

I always thought that speed was more traditional and had more first generation influences, whilst thrash was more punk/hardcore oriented.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:56 am

RIOT: not a speed metal band, but thundersteel is the very definition of speed IMO
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:54 am

Nico wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Deliverance use to make a point to say in interviews that they weren't a thrash metal band, but a speed metal band. I suppose the difference being a thin line that mostly has to do with the vocals approach.

I'm really surprised to hear that, because they really have that thrash metal "crunch" in their sound. Maybe I need to listen to Deliverance more often. Speed metal and thrash metal tend to mix a lot, though, and while a lot of bands fall into both categories (like Anthrax, as previously mentioned), I think there are still lots of bands that you can recognize as pure speed metal (Exciter, Znowhite on their two EPs, etc.) or as pure thrash metal (Slayer, Kreator, etc.)

Krokus - Warrant and Vectom rule supreme!! your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 495333

TOTALLY! There are pure speed metal bands, pure thrash metal bands ... and a hybrid.

Deliverance is a hybrid, which is why some call them speed, some call them thrash! They are both.

TheDoctor'sScarf wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Thrash tends to be more:
dissonant, crunchy

I always thought that speed was more traditional and had more first generation influences, whilst thrash was more punk/hardcore oriented.

This is true too.

Gilbert wrote:
RIOT: not a speed metal band, but thundersteel is the very definition of speed IMO

EXACTLY!!! Earlier Riot was more trad metal, whereas they kicked it into speed metal drive here! Judas Priest did something similar with "Painkiller". After "Ram It Down", they went into 'overdrive' and kicked it up to speed!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...   your all time favorite SPEED metal band ... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

your all time favorite SPEED metal band ...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next