Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

That Metal Show

Go down 
+25
A Handful of Wayne
jettafiend
corplhicks
Addy
stpatrik
Alex Dee Rokket
Rawk Hawk
Getizzyback
Lurideath
Metal Misfit
sheets
thejokeriv
Portharbor
chewie
manny
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
nevermore
mr.electric39
ultmetal
Troublezone
James B.
BillRoxx
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

That Metal Show - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I like That Metal Show for a nostalgia trip but it is nothing more and nothing less than that.

I saw an episode where the guys were arguing about bands that should have made it bigger and their lists couldn't have been more off the mark - I mean Eddie Trunk had UFO as his number 1 'band that should have been bigger'.

WTF?!

I know the other guys disagreed with him on this point too but their choices weren't much better either.

In any case, this show caters to a very safe yet aging audience. It doesn't really look into anything metal has to offer nowadays or really anything metal has had to offer in the last 20 years since the headbanger ball days.

It is fun to watch for anyone who misses the 80s but at the same time, unless you're in the mood everything feels very recycled and just out of context. I think metal should be represented in all its glory - both the old days and the new days. The show adopts this attitude that anything past a certain point is just not relevant. I think that is a major shame and calling it "That Metal Show" is a tad misleading.

However, going back to what I said before - it caters to particular segment. Most people in that audience and most viewers wouldn't know anything about a band like Revocation, a band like Havok, or Toxic Holocaust... would have very little idea about black or death metal in general as well so it's made for the cookie cutter, 'loved metal in the 80s' / 'hate anything post 1990' audience.

They have said it on the show.....they cater to the bands/artists VH1 played back in the day and the network has no deisre to do otherwise.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Yeah I remember that...

I wonder what the reason behind it is. Is it because newer bands / newer videos are too ... graphic / extreme, requiring the network to give the show an R18+ rating?

I know that whenever newer metal bands are featured on cable tv, it is always very late at night when hardly anyone is awake and the shows are always rated for an over 18 audience.

Do you think that has anything to do with it?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Yeah I remember that...

I wonder what the reason behind it is. Is it because newer bands / newer videos are too ... graphic / extreme, requiring the network to give the show an R18+ rating?

I know that whenever newer metal bands are featured on cable tv, it is always very late at night when hardly anyone is awake and the shows are always rated for an over 18 audience.

No, it's because VH1 "Classic" is a retro-flavored network whose audience doesn't give a rat's ass about newer/extreme bands. They'd rather watch a rerun of Warrant's "Cherry Pie" for the umpteenth time.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 9:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Yeah I remember that...

No, it's because VH1 "Classic" is a retro-flavored network whose audience doesn't give a rat's ass about newer/extreme bands. They'd rather watch a rerun of Warrant's "Cherry Pie" for the umpteenth time.

You know in a way that is so sad... I love Warrant and I don't mind Cherry Pie but bands like Warrant are so overplayed, there is hardly anything exciting about listening to the same song again or seeing the same video again. I have nothing against any of the bands featured on 'That Metal Show', in fact I am a fan of about 90% of them anyway and yet still I have no qualms with anyone's tastes on the show; my only 'complaint' is that everything featured and talked about on the show, has been done so many times over... it's been done to death that there is nothing else more to say, nothing else new to discover. I am bored seeing the same topics and bands discussed - and yeah I know, I can just flick it off , switch to something else etc. but I'm just saying that it is a missed opportunity to diversify the show and promote metal as imo it should be promoted. Not ignoring the past, but also not ignoring the current bands keeping it alive.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 9:26 pm

sheets wrote:
A show on VH1 Classic is nostalgic? Whodathunkit?

Well it does make sense; sorry in Australia we do not have VH1 Classic. The show actually comes on MTV if you believe that.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 11:46 am

I watched the Axl Rose interview. What a pompous ass! I have always hated GnR and now I really hate them even more. Anyone else see that episode? What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 11:51 am

Lurideath wrote:
I watched the Axl Rose interview. What a pompous ass! I have always hated GnR and now I really hate them even more. Anyone else see that episode? What are your thoughts?

I tried to watch it but fell asleep the first airing. The lil I caught before Sleep
failed to garner enough interest to catch a repeat.

I enjoy G n R's debut and the "Lies" thing.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 12:37 pm

I saw bits 'n' pieces of the Axl interview over the weekend (it seemed like every time I channel surfed past VH1 Classic all weekend long, they were re-running it!) ... from what little I saw, Axl seemed surprisingly coherent.

...though the live clips they showed of him 'singing' onstage were godawful. He was never a great singer anyway but he sounds even worse now.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 1:47 pm

***FAN-BOY ALERT*** The following post contains opinions of a long-time fan & supporter of mostly all things GnR related. Proceed with caution!!

I thought Axl came off ok, all things considdered. He seemed pretty articulate and thought-out on all the questions that were asked. He didn't avoid anything really and didn't fumpher around with allot of "uhhhhhs" and "you knows". A little pompous perhaps, but direct and to the point pretty much. He coulda taken off the shades though. That and the big floppy hat made him look kinda douchy.

Everyone seemd kinda tense (and tired) throughout and Eddie even mentioned on his radio show that everyone was kinda walking on eggshells right up to the point when Axl sat down. Even then, they didn't want to nail him with hardball questions and risk a walk-out. So yea, Axl's kind of a dick in that regard. And he didn't need that stage prop DJ Ashba with him either. But Eddie's in show-biz and knows how to play the game.

Was there any great revelations? Not really. But I thought it was nice to hear from the guy. I like people that have interesting things to say and don't just run at the mouth to hear their own voice.

As for the live performance, I'll pass. He didn't sound all that great and the "band" just doesn't do it for me. They al look like a buncha misfits thrown together. Tommy's wearing a pimp suit, Bumblefoot looks like a homeless Fidel Castro, DJ's wearing ridiculous headgear and dresses like a little kid playing "Rock Star". I don't even know the other guys and don't care to know them.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Quote :
Bumblefoot looks like a homeless Fidel Castro

Laughing very hard I'm not the only one who noticed the Fidel resemblance!!

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 1:52 pm

I agree with MG, it was not an interview filled with any realizations, but it was a coup for Eddie 'Axl has only done interviews with me' Trunk. I have no idea why DJ what his face was sitting in, since no one asked him a damn thing.

If you were looking for any insight into his relationship with his former bandmates, the status of any new material, then you were bound to be disappointed, but it was cool to hear him speak and I thought he sounded articulate, wearing shades, a floppy hat and 9000 rings at 5 am makes no sense to me, but whatever.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 1:55 pm

manny wrote:
I have no idea why DJ what his face was sitting in, since no one asked him a damn thing.

Kinda like whenever KISS make a TV appearance nowadays, Gene & Paul do all the talking while Tommy and Eric just sit there and smile without ever saying a word. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 1:55 pm

All the jangling jewelry was a distraction. Everytime he moved the mic picked it up. Drove me crazy.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 8:14 pm

No reunion questions too Axl of course, was a little surprised by the hall of fame stuff, but all in all a little vague on some issues. Seems he's still buddies with Duff. The stuff he talked about Duff is in Duff's book. Gotta wonder if Axl just talked about stuff he may have just read in Duff's book. Surprise'd he even mentioned Steven!

All in all, it's bound to be the only page to turn, Axl and Slash have egos the size of Jupiter. Slash's going no where solo stuff will fizzle, Axl stays away too much to have any spark. It will all come down to what the people want, because both guys need to matter. A reunion will happen if someone don't die first. count on it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
No reunion questions too Axl of course, was a little surprised by the hall of fame stuff, but all in all a little vague on some issues. Seems he's still buddies with Duff. The stuff he talked about Duff is in Duff's book. Gotta wonder if Axl just talked about stuff he may have just read in Duff's book. Surprise'd he even mentioned Steven!

All in all, it's bound to be the only page to turn, Axl and Slash have egos the size of Jupiter. Slash's going no where solo stuff will fizzle, Axl stays away too much to have any spark. It will all come down to what the people want, because both guys need to matter. A reunion will happen if someone don't die first. count on it.

I beg to differ.......Slash's plan to do a whole cd with Miles may be the ticket ?, who knows. An obstacle with G n R doing a reunion is who plays drums....Matt or Steven. I'd prefer Steven myself and of course Izzy is a must as well.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 10:22 am

Slash's solo career seems to be doing just fine. Not "filling 60,000 seat stadiums" fine, but successful enough. And he's the kind of guy that just like to go out and play, anytime, any place. I think he gets allot more studio work and guest appearances than we know. I don't think he's got a huge ego. He just like to play and keep it simple. Axl just brings in too much baggage and adds drama. That what keeps Izzy away too, I believe.

It will be interesting to see what kind of response Axl gets touring the states for the first time in years, but as long as he and his band of merry misfits sell out stadiums in South America and places other than the US, I don't see a reason for him to reunite.

I could go either way with drummers. It would be nice to see Steven behind the kit if he could keep it together long enough, but I'm also fine with Matt.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 10:33 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:
I have no idea why DJ what his face was sitting in, since no one asked him a damn thing.

Kinda like whenever KISS make a TV appearance nowadays, Gene & Paul do all the talking while Tommy and Eric just sit there and smile without ever saying a word. Very Happy

That's because Tommy and Eric are hired hands and have no say in the band. Gene & Paul are the bosses and won't give up the slightest amount of control to anyone. Even when Peter and Ace were in the band you could see interviews when Gene would get quite annoyed that Ace or Peter were talking and he wasn't the center of attention.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 10:35 am

ultmetal wrote:

That's because Tommy and Eric are hired hands and have no say in the band. Gene & Paul are the bosses and won't give up the slightest amount of control to anyone. Even when Peter and Ace were in the band you could see interviews when Gene would get quite annoyed that Ace or Peter were talking and he wasn't the center of attention.

True. The best example of this is the famous Tom Snyder interview where Ace starts rambling ("Yeah, I'm the lead trout player") and you can see Gene doing a slow burn in the background. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 11:31 am

They did not ask about a G n R reunion because Eddie and his dough boys were not allowed to ask Axl about that.

As far as a reunion, since the reunion of DLR and Van Halen I believe anything is possible with exception of this reunion. The relationships between Slash and Axl grew so bad during the Use Your Illusion tour and the amount of money the band wasted due to having to pay arenas for shows starting late, Axl spending thousands on crap, blackmailing the band into giving up the rights to the name , just a few things regarding the band
Back to top Go down
stpatrik
Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 11:57 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Yeah I remember that...

You know in a way that is so sad... I love Warrant and I don't mind Cherry Pie but bands like Warrant are so overplayed, there is hardly anything exciting about listening to the same song again or seeing the same video again. I have nothing against any of the bands featured on 'That Metal Show', in fact I am a fan of about 90% of them anyway and yet still I have no qualms with anyone's tastes on the show; my only 'complaint' is that everything featured and talked about on the show, has been done so many times over... it's been done to death that there is nothing else more to say, nothing else new to discover. I am bored seeing the same topics and bands discussed - and yeah I know, I can just flick it off , switch to something else etc. but I'm just saying that it is a missed opportunity to diversify the show and promote metal as imo it should be promoted. Not ignoring the past, but also not ignoring the current bands keeping it alive.

I agree it is a missed oppurtunity. The funny thing is, the hosts and surely the aging audience would probably dig quite alot of todays newer bands, whether youre looking for plain old Hard Rock performed accordingly by the likes of Crash Dïet and Killinger or Trad Metal bands such as White Wizzard or Enforcer, there IS always someone newer to sink your teeth into - after all, I'm getting up there in age a little myself, but discovering new bands playing the kind of music I dig, keeping my ear to the ground, helps me feeling young. Music should NEVER be about a specific point in time, IMO. You just need to keep your ears open and keep rockin'!
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:08 pm

One feature that might be good for the show without compromising its purpose would be to regularly highlight or even invite on particular bands that could be palatable to the older audience, probably mostly traditional metal, power metal, or thrash bands. "Hey, wondering why no one plays like Iron Maiden anymore? Check out these guys...."
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:46 pm

manny wrote:
As far as a reunion, since the reunion of DLR and Van Halen I believe anything is possible with exception of this reunion. The relationships between Slash and Axl grew so bad during the Use Your Illusion tour and the amount of money the band wasted due to having to pay arenas for shows starting late, Axl spending thousands on crap, blackmailing the band into giving up the rights to the name , just a few things regarding the band

Someone with insider knowledge on the GNR camp (possibly Eddie Trunk but maybe it was Slash) recently said the Axl/Slash relationship is better than it has been in years and that Axl is on good terms with everyone from the old group.

I think Axl has become too far independent and too much into the new group and Chinese Democracy to seriously consider getting back with the old Guns on a permanent basis. He sees that as a step back. But I think if they got the RNR HOF induction, he might let nostalgia take over for one night and we could get a one-time performance out of them. As always, it really comes down to Axl. Everyone else would jump at the opportunity.

sheets wrote:
One feature that might be good for the show without compromising its purpose would be to regularly highlight or even invite on particular bands that could be palatable to the older audience, probably mostly traditional metal, power metal, or thrash bands. "Hey, wondering why no one plays like Iron Maiden anymore? Check out these guys...."

Agree. I've been saying this for awhile but someone recently posted a similar question to Eddie on Twitter and his reply was that a TV network is not interested spotlighting "unknowns". Personally, I feel like Eddie isn't all that interested in spotlighting "unknowns" either. He doesn't really keep up with anything new unless it involves artists from the '70s & '80s.

Last edited by Metal Misfit on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

True. The best example of this is the famous Tom Snyder interview where Ace starts rambling ("Yeah, I'm the lead trout player") and you can see Gene doing a slow burn in the background. Very Happy

That is a great example and a classic moment in Kisstory.

Also, check out this one:

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Quote :

They do. Sometimes. Occasionally, their "Pick of the Week" is a new-ish band (like Ghost) or the guys will wear a t-shirt (like, uh, Ghost). Yea, it's minor, but at least they're trying.

I also like that they'll try and promote old band with new material, letting people know that [Band X] didn't stop recording & touring after 1985.

Every week, I'm constantly amazed at the amount of callers that Eddie gets to his radio show with someone asking "Hey Eddie, what's up with Motley Crue? Have they done anything since Dr. Feelgood?"

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 6:11 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
***FAN-BOY ALERT*** The following post contains opinions of a long-time fan & supporter of mostly all things GnR related. Proceed with caution!!

I thought Axl came off ok, all things considdered. He seemed pretty articulate and thought-out on all the questions that were asked. He didn't avoid anything really and didn't fumpher around with allot of "uhhhhhs" and "you knows". A little pompous perhaps, but direct and to the point pretty much. He coulda taken off the shades though. That and the big floppy hat made him look kinda douchy.

Everyone seemd kinda tense (and tired) throughout and Eddie even mentioned on his radio show that everyone was kinda walking on eggshells right up to the point when Axl sat down. Even then, they didn't want to nail him with hardball questions and risk a walk-out. So yea, Axl's kind of a dick in that regard. And he didn't need that stage prop DJ Ashba with him either. But Eddie's in show-biz and knows how to play the game.

Was there any great revelations? Not really. But I thought it was nice to hear from the guy. I like people that have interesting things to say and don't just run at the mouth to hear their own voice.

As for the live performance, I'll pass. He didn't sound all that great and the "band" just doesn't do it for me. They al look like a buncha misfits thrown together. Tommy's wearing a pimp suit, Bumblefoot looks like a homeless Fidel Castro, DJ's wearing ridiculous headgear and dresses like a little kid playing "Rock Star". I don't even know the other guys and don't care to know them.

I enjoyed the interview myself, I thought it was cool to hear from Axl what surprised me the most was that the band members were saying he was kind of a jokester. But speaking only for myself I enjoyed the Interview very much
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That Metal Show   That Metal Show - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

That Metal Show
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next