Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metallica do a private show for a corporation

Go down 
+19
Olafsto
Nico
tul
Mglaffas81
holydiver97595
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
Troublezone
manny
Cognitive Dissonance
Fat Freddy
Smindas
rawr!
exact33
Eyesore
Sutekh
The_Jayroh
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:50 am

manny wrote:
Metallica is being asked to do Lady GaGa covers.

Now THAT would be an interesting thing to see Laughing
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:51 am

Yea, about as interesting as them playing on a Lou Reed album. Razz

The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:52 am

manny wrote:
holydiver97595 wrote:
At least they're playing shows. I'm pretty certain any band would play a private show for such a large audience, honestly.

It is not Metallica is being asked to do Lady GaGa covers, they are playing their songs, and these corporate goons know what they are paying for, if it was me I would gladly take their money and run.

Exactly! I think people should be happy that Metallica is so popular that they can play a show for just about anyone, and still get paid a lot. I wish all of my favorite bands could do that! (could you imagine Symphony X or Savage Circus playing a show for a company like this? lol! )

Besides that, the comments on that post are really annoying me. People need to shut up about what Cliff would want and such; how do they know? That's extremely disrespectful, if you ask me, especially since they're using him as a martyr against his own band.

And I slightly disagree with 007; if Metallica covered Pokerface, I imagine it would sound kind of like Frantic.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 am

Those comments are hilarious - and most of them are most likely impressionable 15 year-olds
Who act like the wisest people in music, who weren't even part of the scene in the 80s.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:57 am

It also pisses me off how those morons portray Cliff as some god who was much better than the others - like he's the father and their all babies being told what to do - it's just dumb. Cliff seemed like a cool, down-to-earth guy, but that doesn't make him better than James, Lars or Kirk.
Back to top Go down
tul
Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

PostSubject: re   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 2:13 pm

I think in Germany this would be impossible. If you want to climb up the corporate ladder you must play certain social codes. And Metallica is not part of that. It is not only about performance. You must like a certain type of classical music and a certain type of literature. And you must be able to quote that type of literature.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 2:48 pm

tul wrote:
I think in Germany this would be impossible. If you want to climb up the corporate ladder you must play certain social codes. And Metallica is not part of that. It is not only about performance. You must like a certain type of classical music and a certain type of literature. And you must be able to quote that type of literature.

....what?
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Smindas wrote:
I think there's a slight difference between Metallica playing for some big-wig company and film makers creating Antisemitic Nazi propaganda films. In fact, I'd probably argue that they're utterly incomparable ;P
capitalism and consumerism and all that shite is just as abhorrent to some people, so id say theyre pretty comparable. propaganda is propaganda, the message is the only thing changing.
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 6:14 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
It also pisses me off how those morons portray Cliff as some god who was much better than the others - like he's the father and their all babies being told what to do - it's just dumb. Cliff seemed like a cool, down-to-earth guy, but that doesn't make him better than James, Lars or Kirk.

Well, I think people are just quick to assume that because he died after MOP that if he had lived the band would not have turned out the way they did, or he wouldn't have had any part in it. There's no way to know that for sure, though. I mean Lars listened to tons of obscure NWOBHM, so if he had died and the band still took a commercial direction, of course they would be saying the same thing.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 7:06 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
ANY band getting their fee for playing a party or convention is NO different than them getting their fee for playing any other venue. A show is a show.

I agree.

holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 12:48 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
tul wrote:

....what?

I agree with Mglaffas, I've never heard of that. I hope my German teacher didn't just entirely overlook that part of German culture...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 3:36 am

holydiver97595 wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
tul wrote:

....what?

I agree with Mglaffas, I've never heard of that. I hope my German teacher didn't just entirely overlook that part of German culture...

For the most part, high society doesn't seem to associate itself with heavy metal. Corporates aren't necessarily high society in America though. They are usually rich beyond belief, but not always classy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 5:48 am

exact33 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
ANY band getting their fee for playing a party or convention is NO different than them getting their fee for playing any other venue. A show is a show.

I agree.
so if metallica spent the rest of their career playing only white power events, you dont think this would mark a change in how they are approaching the public and what they are using their skills to promote? are surgeons that perform abortions any different, morally speaking, than surgeons that dont? its just a gig, after all.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 6:40 am

rawr! wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I agree.
so if metallica spent the rest of their career playing only white power events, you dont think this would mark a change in how they are approaching the public and what they are using their skills to promote? are surgeons that perform abortions any different, morally speaking, than surgeons that dont? its just a gig, after all.

Oh yes, I seem to remember Metallica stating that from this point on, they would ONLY play at private events for rich people - wait a minute.....that never happened.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 10:01 am

Good grief...That's just stupid.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 10:12 am

Same thing with Metallica as with most bands still around, the band they once were and i loved as a teen, would never ever be hired to play a show for any corporation.
Can`t really blame them for takin such a gig, but back when they were great they would be far to controversial and cool to even be concidered for such a show
Bands and members change over the years, it`s just the way it goes. Discover new hungry bands and enjoy Metallicas first five albums instead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Blabbermouth is Trollville. Once I saw this in my news feed last night, I knew the internet geeks were gonna riot over this one. Metallica can't do anything right anymore. Rolling Eyes Those "fans" that constantly smurf over everything this band has done since 1991 are pathetic. If they really don't like the band so much, then pretend it's 1986, go back into your parents' basement, keep playing 'Master of Puppets' on repeat and shut the Smurf up because it's 2011 and you add nothing to modern society other than negativity.

manny wrote:
holydiver97595 wrote:
At least they're playing shows. I'm pretty certain any band would play a private show for such a large audience, honestly.

It is not Metallica is being asked to do Lady GaGa covers, they are playing their songs, and these corporate goons know what they are paying for, if it was me I would gladly take their money and run.

Exactly. I don't think there's anything wrong with playing a corporate gig. Who cares what the venue is? It's still Metallica getting to be Metallica and this has got to be a huge payday, so good for them.
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
rawr! wrote:

Oh yes, I seem to remember Metallica stating that from this point on, they would ONLY play at private events for rich people - wait a minute.....that never happened.
my point had nothing to do with what they are going to do---it has to do with distinguinshing between whether or not how you use your talent matters---hence the "if". one time or a million times doesnt make a difference to the point. also, playing private gigs for rich people isnt the problem, strictly speaking.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 5:31 pm

rawr! wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I agree.

Are you serious? Have you run out of straw men yet? Metallica played a gig for a corporation? OMG!!!! I just wet myself. They are like Hitler or something. I mean totally. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
rawr! wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I agree.

Are you serious? Have you run out of straw men yet? Metallica played a gig for a corporation? OMG!!!! I just wet myself. They are like Hitler or something. I mean totally. Laughing very hard

Completely agree! I really don't see what the problem is - Rawr, your points don't hold water - at all. "How they use their talent"!? They're just playing their freakin' music!
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 6:37 pm

rawr! wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:
rawr! wrote:

my point had nothing to do with what they are going to do---it has to do with distinguinshing between whether or not how you use your talent matters---hence the "if". one time or a million times doesnt make a difference to the point. also, playing private gigs for rich people isnt the problem, strictly speaking.

Okay, I'm going to break down your argument in bits.

"It has to do with distinguinshing between whether or not how you use your talent matters"

- No, it really does not matter. Metallica don't owe you anything, they're not assholes just because they play for people who just happen to be paying them.

"One time or a million times doesnt make a difference to the point"

- then what exactly is your point in the following rant: "What if they only play for neo-nazis? Oh, and this is totally the same as doctors who perform abortions!"?

"also, playing private gigs for rich people isnt the problem, strictly speaking" - ......then, what IS the problem?
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 8:59 pm

I dont see a problem with the gig.

They sold out years ago anyway.
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
how is propaganda=propaganda a straw man? i think you need to reevaluate your use of fallacies. also, youre the one with the straw man since A: i never said theres anything wrong with merely playing for a corporation and B: i didnt compare metallica to hitler.
Mglaffas81 wrote:
Okay, I'm going to break down your argument in bits.

"It has to do with distinguinshing between whether or not how you use your talent matters"

- No, it really does not matter.
then we have nothing further to discuss. i believe in an artistic (and personal) integrity (that entails a genuineness) most people nowadays simply arent interested in. i will reply to the rest of your post, but we have nothing left to say.

Quote :
Metallica don't owe you anything, they're not assholes just because they play for people who just happen to be paying them.
i could just as easily say that i believe metallica do owe me something---they made a statement with their music and lives and have gone back on that statement through various choices. but i dont care, they are free to do whatever they want, artists arent required to be genuine. i can say theyre assholes, though, thats my freedom. if you think this exchange is about metallica just playing a show and getting paid, youre still completely missing the dynamic, though. metallica playing shows is a great thing, public, private, poor people, rich people, whatever.

Quote :
"One time or a million times doesnt make a difference to the point"

- then what exactly is your point in the following rant: "What if they only play for neo-nazis? Oh, and this is totally the same as doctors who perform abortions!"?
nice dramatization. people in here are pretty hyped up about this whole thing (and yet cant seem to understand simple concepts in an argument). not all white power individuals are neo-nazis, but my point with that is exactly what i said when i was making the point: "[it would] mark a change in how they are approaching the public and what they are using their skills to promote." since that doesnt matter to you, theres nothing to talk about here. the same thing with the surgeons point, which was that some surgeons perform abortions at various stages of fetal development and that use of their surgical talent is something many board members find morally distinguishable from most other forms of surgeries. (if you still dont follow, surgical talent=musical talent and moral orientation, while possibly still remaining a factor in both cases, is more so best stated as artistic orientation as i explained previously in this post).

Quote :
"also, playing private gigs for rich people isnt the problem, strictly speaking" - ......then, what IS the problem?
being a part of propaganda. reading the thread would have revealed posts like this, explaining precisely what the issue is:
rawr! wrote:
playing a gig thats just for the music is different than playing some companys convention (wherein the performance is part of the propaganda and and whatnot), so i can understand why people would say its an example of selling out. some people say how you use your talent (or what people perceive as talent) doesnt necessarily matter, and some of those people made films for hitler :-p. i can also concede the point of it violating image, but image is arbitrary.

so in summation, we can go no further.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 10:34 pm

I think a gig is a gig.

But real talk for a sec, Cliff died 20 some years ago. When has a bass player of a 4 piece band ever had a say in anything regarding the direction of that bands sound? He was just a guy, Metallica would have changed despite if he was alive today or not.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 11:16 pm

[quote="rawr!"]
Witchfinder wrote:
how is propaganda=propaganda a straw man? i think you need to reevaluate your use of fallacies. also, youre the one with the straw man since A: i never said theres anything wrong with merely playing for a corporation and B: i didnt compare metallica to hitler.[quote]

You're right, you only made a white power comment and also equated capitalism with national socialism. My mistake. How ever did I get confused??? It was also called sarcasm. Look it up junior.

Also, I am unsure how Metallica playing at a corporate event is propaganda. Did they lend their image to a product or endorse the corporations goals? Do tell.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metallica do a private show for a corporation
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next