Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metallica do a private show for a corporation

Go down 
+19
Olafsto
Nico
tul
Mglaffas81
holydiver97595
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
Troublezone
manny
Cognitive Dissonance
Fat Freddy
Smindas
rawr!
exact33
Eyesore
Sutekh
The_Jayroh
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

Metallica do a private show for a corporation Empty
PostSubject: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:16 pm

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?newsitemID=159785&mode=Article&order_by=newest&x=76&y=10

No, I do NOT think Metallica are sellouts. Look at the comments though. Wow. I can't believe people go through their lives believing all those things about Metallica. They know nothing!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Yep, a good portion of those comments are asinine.I don't see any problem with Metallica doing that gig. In fact, I think it's pretty cool and think it would be awesome to be invited to it. I hate when people bandy about the term sell out. What's the difference between playing in front of possibly 30,000 people at a private party or 15-20,000 at an arena? Not much I'd surmise.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Oh, and I also love the comment "Cliff would never let it get to this" (Yeah right !). Must have known him personally
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 pm

Amazing comments. The world is truly a dumber place for them.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:28 pm

Nothing surprising. I've read half those comments posted here on this forum. People tend to have strong opinions when it comes to Metallica.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 10:31 pm

I dont begrudge them the ability to make money. People complain about that it violates 'being metal' - whatever that means.

rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 12:06 am

playing a gig thats just for the music is different than playing some companys convention (wherein the performance is part of the propaganda and and whatnot), so i can understand why people would say its an example of selling out. some people say how you use your talent (or what people perceive as talent) doesnt necessarily matter, and some of those people made films for hitler :-p. i can also concede the point of it violating image, but image is arbitrary.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 3:08 am

rawr! wrote:
playing a gig thats just for the music is different than playing some companys convention (wherein the performance is part of the propaganda and and whatnot), so i can understand why people would say its an example of selling out. some people say how you use your talent (or what people perceive as talent) doesnt necessarily matter, and some of those people made films for hitler :-p. i can also concede the point of it violating image, but image is arbitrary.

I can't see Metallica playing music that sounds like something from a company picnic. Metallica use their talent to be Metallica. If I was a corporation I'd want them at my convention too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:13 am

The_Jayroh wrote:
rawr! wrote:

I can't see Metallica playing music that sounds like something from a company picnic. Metallica use their talent to be Metallica. If I was a corporation I'd want them at my convention too.

yep. In the end - music is a business. I dont really see how it is called selling out when you play for people who are paying you to play your music.

Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:29 am

rawr! wrote:
I think there's a slight difference between Metallica playing for some big-wig company and film makers creating Antisemitic Nazi propaganda films. In fact, I'd probably argue that they're utterly incomparable ;P

Last edited by Smindas on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:29 am

If I were in a band and some big time company wanted to pay me a zillion bucks to play their corporate picnic, I'd do it in a New York minute. Who needs street cred? I got kids to feed.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:31 am

Shoot,In this economy any gig is a good gig! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:32 am

Cognitive Dissonance wrote:

S'what I'm sayin'!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:36 am

Other artist such as Bob Dylan and Aerosmith have done these types of gigs, so I don't see what the big deal is.
Back to top Go down
Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:37 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Cognitive Dissonance wrote:

S'what I'm sayin'!!
My hero, Luke Cage, once took a gig for fifty cents to stop a bully! Metallica needs dough like anybody! Freddy, I'll mow your lawn for 20 bucks! Ya gots to hustle!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 am

manny wrote:
Other artist such as Bob Dylan and Aerosmith have done these types of gigs, so I don't see what the big deal is.

According to the Blabbermouth Nation, such shows are not TR00 METTLE and Cliff Burton would never have allowed it.

Back to top Go down
Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:40 am

I"ve always felt that Metallica was more plastic than metal.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:00 am

Who cares what they do anymore? They're never gonna be the same band that we knew as kids... They're basically a big corporate money making machine at this point, on cruise control 'til they retire.

The last album was a nice attempt to recapture some old glory... but it sounds forced.

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:03 am

Troublezone wrote:
Who cares what they do anymore? They're never gonna be the same band that we knew as kids... They're basically a big corporate money making machine at this point, on cruise control 'til they retire.

Ding,Ding,Ding! We Have a Winner Folks!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 am

Bands and performers have been doing this for awhile now, it's just not widely publicized. I heard Aerosmith played a kid's bar mitzvah party a few years ago. Seriously. Some rich businessman hired the band to play at his kid's party.

Cheap Trick will play at your house for $30,000. Might seem like allot to you and me, but if you're a big corporation and having a big shindig, $30k for a legendary band to playfor an hour is chump change.

Sure, part of me is disappointed to hear that, but like others have said, they aren't the same band anymore and money talks.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:58 am

That settles it. If I ever win the lottery, I'm having a massive party and Cheap Trick will be the house band.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:01 am

ANY band getting their fee for playing a party or convention is NO different than them getting their fee for playing any other venue. A show is a show.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:14 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

According to the Blabbermouth Nation, such shows are not TR00 METTLE and Cliff Burton would never have allowed it.

Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:21 am

At least they're playing shows. I'm pretty certain any band would play a private show for such a large audience, honestly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 am

holydiver97595 wrote:
At least they're playing shows. I'm pretty certain any band would play a private show for such a large audience, honestly.

It is not Metallica is being asked to do Lady GaGa covers, they are playing their songs, and these corporate goons know what they are paying for, if it was me I would gladly take their money and run.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metallica do a private show for a corporation   Metallica do a private show for a corporation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metallica do a private show for a corporation
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next