Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?

Go down 
+36
thrashindeed
Grimmo
jstate
JBall_Z
rawr!
stepcousin
Schbopo
krokus
Igor
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Eyesore
DallasBlack
shamgar75
adrian
Lari
bassman
Wurthless
Ben Grimm
mc666
DeathCult
thejokeriv
Addy
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Leatherface
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
Witchfinder
tohostudios
manny
Shawn Of Fire
allthingsmetal
exact33
SpectreFate
Troublezone
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 3:44 am

"heavy" is very subjective but I'd hafta say when I heard a cassette in 1983 with Metallica songs and Slayer songs on it, I bought "Kill'Em All " and "Show No Mercy" on LP. That was probably the biggest leap I'd ever made because prior to those the heaviest I'd had was JP, Maiden, and Sabbath's Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules.

In 1986 I bought Kreator's "Endless Pain" and very soon after bought Destruction, Possessed, and Sacrifice and thus began the next step into death metal (those are now known as thrash metal but they were death metal back then).
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 7:57 am

the first cd i ever heard on my own accord, and second i had in my collection, the 1992 "demolition" compilation....thrash and a song or two of less thrashy stuff, but one of the songs is a mix of death and thrash...my first taste of heaviness. once i introduced myself to music, i branched out into all subgenres of metal simultaneously since music stores and websites featured well rounded collections of material for me to draw on and learn from.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 12:35 pm

The first two albums I remember owning:

Kiss - Destroyer (vinyl)
Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic (vinyl)

I soon added:

Montrose - Montrose (8-track tape)
Foghat - Fool for the City (8-track tape)

Now, all considered classic heavy metal/hard rock albums. Who knew?
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 3:51 pm

Ozzy - Diary Of A Madman

First album I ever owned after hearing Flying High Again on a K-Tel record comp. Soon thereafter I also got Krokus - One Vice At A Time which I also heard on the same K-Tel record. I don't think I got another album for almost a year after since I just played those two over and over. Still love both of them.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 12:57 am

Metallica's Ride the Lightning. headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 2:51 am

Grimmo wrote:
Metallica's Ride the Lightning. headbanger

This one, as well as Appetite for Destruction headbanger
Back to top Go down
thrashindeed
Metal novice
Metal novice
thrashindeed

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Mandy Lion/WW3 - When God Turned Away

For those of you that have never heard of this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XFd3RQSsJg

He has done a lot of work with members from DIO, mikkey dee Motorhead as well, he was also in a band with Jake E Lee, and recorded 4 pretty cool demo songs with him. headbanger

also if anyone is interested here is my favorite demo track with him and Jake E Lee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7SGuLMsoY
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:07 pm

I listened to my older brother's Aerosmith "Get Your Wings" when I was ten. That was the heaviest thing I'd ever heard at the time and I listened to it over and over. In middle school, a friend of mine had Kiss "Destroyer" and we listened to it whenever I was hanging out at his house. He bought me "Love Gun" as a get well gift when I was in the hospital with appendicitis in 7th grade. Those would have been the heaviest influences until I bought AC/DC's "Back in Black" in high school. headbanger
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:52 pm

thrashindeed wrote:
Mandy Lion/WW3 - When God Turned Away

For those of you that have never heard of this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XFd3RQSsJg

He has done a lot of work with members from DIO, mikkey dee Motorhead as well, he was also in a band with Jake E Lee, and recorded 4 pretty cool demo songs with him. headbanger

also if anyone is interested here is my favorite demo track with him and Jake E Lee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7SGuLMsoY

I've been meaning to add this for my collection for years. I think i even was in contact with one of the band memebrs about it years ago...

The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 3:26 pm

Being kind of a newbie to metal, my first legitimate metal album was around 4ish years ago, and that'd probably be... Holy Diver. Dio

As for truly heavy stuff, I got Heartwork by Carcass pretty early on in '08 I think, so that's probably it. (probably one of my favorite death metal albums of all time, along with Symbolic by Death and Hatecrew Deathroll by Children Of Bodom)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 2:40 pm

I did so much album buying in my early metal years I can only name a few of my first truly heavy albums. However, I do remember from Headbanger's Ball and a music channel called The Juke Box (all request video channel) I can name some of the first brutal metal bands was intoduced to:

Slayer
Sepultura
Carcass
Napalm Death
Morbid Angel
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:02 pm

Saxon - Rock The Nations

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:17 pm

Troublezone wrote:
After my introduction to Thrash around 1990, I started looking for something heavier than the standard Metallica league stuff.

Going by this opening statement,
for me, what was heavier after the first metallica LP --
EXCITER -Violence & Force
MOTORHEAD - No remorse dbl-vinyl
VENOM - Die Hard 7" single, Black Metal,Welcome to hell,At war with satan
and
SLAYER - Show No Mercy

if you mean, MY VERY FIRST hard/heavy LP I owned -
KISS -Alive II
-the Originals (their first 3 LP's set)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3