Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?

Go down 
+36
thrashindeed
Grimmo
jstate
JBall_Z
rawr!
stepcousin
Schbopo
krokus
Igor
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Eyesore
DallasBlack
shamgar75
adrian
Lari
bassman
Wurthless
Ben Grimm
mc666
DeathCult
thejokeriv
Addy
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Leatherface
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
Witchfinder
tohostudios
manny
Shawn Of Fire
allthingsmetal
exact33
SpectreFate
Troublezone
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:45 am

When I bought Alive, I remember playing it and mentioning it was "rock music". My *insert expletive here* Stepfather said..."That ain't rock n roll, that's that damn Hard Rock, it's not even music!".

I was glad when my Mother divorced his sorry ass.

Anyway, I did start young. By the time 1978 rolled around I was using all of my allowance money on records.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:48 am

Kiss - Destroyer in 1976, my first real album ever.... then picked up more KISS and got Van Halen I as a new release!!!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:51 am

detuned wrote:
When I bought Alive, I remember playing it and mentioning it was "rock music". My *insert expletive here* Stepfather said..."That ain't rock n roll, that's that damn Hard Rock, it's not even music!".

Anyway, I did start young. By the time 1978 rolled around I was using all of my allowance money on records.

What an a$$!!!!!!

I started with music young too. If this thread is referring to Trash, my first Thrash albums where Metallica - Ride The Lightning, Kill 'em all;Slayer - Show No Mercy, Haunting The Chapel, Hell Awaits; Exodus - Bonded By Blood; Anthrax - Fistful of metal, Armed & Dangerous, etc, etc back in 84
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:52 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Kiss - Destroyer in 1976, my first real album ever.... then picked up more KISS and got Van Halen I as a new release!!!

I remember buying the debut BOSTON album as a new release, because I loved the cover! LOL.

I saw KISS in '78 in Roanoke VA, one of my first concerts.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 12:01 pm

detuned wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

I remember buying the debut BOSTON album as a new release, because I loved the cover! LOL.

I was still into Superfriends in 1978!!!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 12:48 pm

The earliest I remember. Iron Maiden-Killers at the age of 7, my parents had it, and the cover just called me to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 1:19 pm

detuned wrote:

it was opposite at my house. i remember telling my dad how much Kiss sucked & him telling me to go to hell lol.

my first heavy record outside of traditional metal & punk was Slayer's Hell Awaits. i got it from my older sisters boyfriend in 1986.

exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 1:21 pm

manny wrote:
detuned wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

I was still into Superfriends in 1978!!!

I not sure if I was then because I was only 5....

Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 3:05 pm

The first "Heavy albums" I got were Vengeance Rising - Human Sacrifice
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 4:12 pm

The first album I ever bought was when I was about 10. I got like 100 dollars for my birthday and I spent some on video games, then I figured why not buy a CD? I got a Black Sabbath Ozzy Years Comp and Iron Maiden Number of the Beast. Needless to say, It blew this 10 year old's mind.
headbanger
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Mine would be either....

Vengeance Rising - Human Sacrifice or
Mortification - s/t

I got them both around the same time on cassette and I still have them even though I replaced them with cds several years ago.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Megadeth - Youthanasia
Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark
Metallica - Metallica

In that order.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 7:29 pm

My original intent for this thread was to have everyone list their first albums on a Thrash or Death Metal heaviness level. I guess I worded the question wrong. Oh well... it can be about any style that you considered heavy (at the time).
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Yeah, I read it without the parentheses "what are the first albums you owned"?

(Truly heavy) in parenthesis = I don't get to count my NWA or Nirvana CDs.

EDIT: To answer to the original intended post

Satyricon - Nemesis Divina

I was maybe 14-16 when I slowly got into the other metal bands I mentioned earlier. This one came out around the time and got me into black metal, and also made me think black metal was the greatest thing ever. It was huge at the time in Finland. Plus you could see a vagina in the music video they made. Nowadays it all sounds more like noise to me, but with the right atmosphere, that one's a great album still. And Mayhem were great, too.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Well I had Mortification when I was really young, but when I later became a full fledged fan of thrash was upon getting Kreator's Extreme Aggression album. That album really lives up to its title and that raw aggression really appealed to me
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Deliverance - Weapons of Our Warfare
Vengeance Rising - Once Dead
Tourniquet - Stop the Bleeding
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:36 pm

the first heavy metal album I owned was Metallica-Metallica, but I'm not too sure what my first thrash/death album was. Might have been Morbid Angel-Covenant but it was soon confiscated by my dad who wouldn't let me have any albums with a Parental Advisory label or gory album covers.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 10:01 pm

I might have misunderstood this thread I was talking like Thrash, etc.....

Truely heavy first for me was Stryper Soldiers Under Command 1986 I think it was
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:09 pm

I was all 80s rock/metal and hip hop as a teen (I know, weird combination) until Vulgar Display of Power came out. I'd heard of Pantera then, but never heard them. So I bought that album...and it peeled my wig back! To my ears, that bad boy was SO HEAVY!

Of course, compared to what I listen to now, that album's timid. At the time, though, it blew my mind. Haha. It made me realize that heavy music could be great, you know.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 12:29 am

The first one was Deep Purple- Machine Head. I also got Hendrix- Smash Hits and Black Sabbath- Paranoid soon afterwards. These were all those black Warner Bros. cassette cases that were pull-out (rather than opening and closing) style. They had stickers on the front rather than inserts. Somebody must remember those?

Strangely the first "extreme" thing I remember getting was a German band called Bloodstar, which was a Symphonic/Industrial/Death type thing, maybe kind of like Samael. Not all that extreme really, but it was a departure for me at the time.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 12:35 am

Sepultura - Arise

I was into this band a lot in my early metal years.

Still like to revisit their older catalogue from time to time.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 12:35 am

I also got Blue Oyster Cult's records from the S/T up to Spectres pretty soon after that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Igor
Metal student
Metal student
Igor

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 2:36 am

Iron Maiden-Piece of mind on tape, back in 1985....
sweet time, I must say... headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 3:10 am

Some of my first albums were:
JUDAS PRIEST:PAINKILLER cd
IRON MAIDEN:LIVE AFTER DEATH 2 vinyls
VAN HALEN:WOMAN AND CHILDREN FIRST tape
POISON:LOOK WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN vinyl
SEPULTURA:ARISE vinyl
OBITUARY:THE END COMPLETE vinyl
DEATH:HUMAN
etc....
I start buying serious back in 1991.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 3:38 am

Metallica's "Black Album". At the time it was some pretty heavy stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next