Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?

Go down 
+36
thrashindeed
Grimmo
jstate
JBall_Z
rawr!
stepcousin
Schbopo
krokus
Igor
Gilbert
SAHB Healer
Eyesore
DallasBlack
shamgar75
adrian
Lari
bassman
Wurthless
Ben Grimm
mc666
DeathCult
thejokeriv
Addy
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Leatherface
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
Witchfinder
tohostudios
manny
Shawn Of Fire
allthingsmetal
exact33
SpectreFate
Troublezone
40 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Empty
PostSubject: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 6:34 am

After my introduction to Thrash around 1990, I started looking for something heavier than the standard Metallica league stuff. These are what i found:

Death - Human
Sepultura - Arise
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption
Mortification - Scrolls of the Megiloth

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed May 25, 2011 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 6:39 am

In 1987 I picked up Possessed's Beyond The Gates cassette at National Record Mart for $5.99. My world was forever changed. Soon came Slayer, Exciter, Mercyful Fate, etc etc
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 6:43 am

SpectreFate wrote:
In 1987 I picked up Possessed's Beyond The Gates cassette at National Record Mart for $5.99. My world was forever changed. Soon came Slayer, Exciter, Mercyful Fate, etc etc

In my freshman year of high school, a friend convinced me to buy Slayer's Live Undead tape... The songs freaked me out at first. You know... "The devil stuff".

Laughing

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 8:07 am

Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil

allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 8:11 am

Not sure about 'owning' but my older brother had a lot of the Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, etc stuff that I listened to while in elementary school. I remember in '80 riding my bike to the library to check to Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell record over and over and over again. (I had to resort to the library as my brother left home in '78).
I can't remember which album I actually 'bought' first. My guess would be either Master of Reality or Vol. 4 from Black Sabbath as I missed those a lot when my brother left home.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 8:37 am

Metallica - Master Of Puppets (when it was new)...prior to that it was AOR & Hair Metal with dashes of Judas Priest or Iron Maiden...it kinda freaked me out.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 8:47 am

Venom-Welcome to Hell, when I was 13, at Peaches, my mother was not very pleased.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:08 am

I started off with Hair Metal stuff like Bullet Boys, Winger and Ratt. After that Iron Maiden... then Thrash.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed May 25, 2011 9:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:17 am

Probably Judas Priest "Sin After Sin". I actually had that on 8 track (you younguns won't even know what that is).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:30 am

Troublezone wrote:
I started off with Hair Metal stuff like Bullet Boys, Winger and Ratt. After that Iron Maiden... then Thrash.

I did not start off with Venom, my mine where not hair metal stuff, it was the usual stuff, AC/DC, Van Halen, Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, hair metal came out just few laters then I got into Motley Crue, Dokken, and of course Quiet Riot, among many many others.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:30 am

Well "heavy" is relative. My first heavy album would be Master of Puppets in 1986 - on cassette. Before that, maybe the Crue's Shout At the Devil.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:34 am

Slayer-Reign In Blood. Of course I had already been listening to stuff like Metallica,The Crue and Megadeth.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:35 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Well "heavy" is relative. My first heavy album would be Master of Puppets in 1986 - on cassette. Before that, maybe the Crue's Shout At the Devil.

I agree but Motley Crue was considered just plain heavy metal in 1983, the term pop metal (let along hair metal) had not come into popular use yet. Also if you listen to that album, IMO it still sounds very raw, especially you compare to the albums that bands released right around this time.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:41 am

manny wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

I agree but Motley Crue was considered just plain heavy metal in 1983, the term pop metal (let along hair metal) had not come into popular use yet. Also if you listen to that album, IMO it still sounds very raw, especially you compare to the albums that bands released right around this time.

Yep, the Crue were just metal back then.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:45 am

I started out with what would be now considdered hard rock stuff, ie Van Halen, Aerosmith, Guns n' Roses and glammy hair metal.

I don't really remember what my first "truly heavy" album was that I purchased, but if I had to guess, it was probably something by either Anthrax (State of Euphoria?) or Megadeth (So Far, So Good, So What) on cassette.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:48 am

Witchfinder wrote:
manny wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Yep, the Crue were just metal back then.

Shout at the Devil has a great guitar sound.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:57 am

Quote :

Well "heavy" is relative.

Heavy as in (crunchy guitar driven metal) specifically Thrash or Death Metal. But since not everyone likes or listens to those styles, it can be about whatever you considered heavy (at the time).

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed May 25, 2011 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 10:24 am

Slayer-Reign in Blood.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 10:27 am

Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil in '83. Then came Metallica's KILL'EM ALL in early 84 and suddenly Motley Crue didn't cut it anymore.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 10:51 am

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Aerosmith - Rocks
Scorpions - Virgin Killer
Judas Priest - Stained Class
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo
Motorhead - Overkill
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous

I got into heavy music in the 70's. These were truly heavy albums for their time. It just didnt get any heavier than "Nobody's Fault", "Sweet Leaf", "Exciter", "Hellcat", "Overkill", "Suicide" etc.

In the early 80's I was getting into stuff like Saxon, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Anvil, Raven, Exciter, Venom, etc. Then it was Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica...just kept getting heavier and heavier. Napalm Death, Death, Possessed, Vengeance Rising, Sepultura, Mortification, Bolt Thrower...the list goes one. However, it was those 70's albums that drew me in and made me a fan at first. I still love all those album today.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 10:54 am

Sacrament- Testamony of Apocalypse
Vengence Rising- Once Dead
Mortification- Scrolls of the Megaloth
Mortifcation- Post Momentary Affliction
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:01 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I started out with what would be now considdered hard rock stuff, ie Van Halen, Aerosmith, Guns n' Roses and glammy hair metal.

I don't really remember what my first "truly heavy" album was that I purchased, but if I had to guess, it was probably something by either Anthrax (State of Euphoria?) or Megadeth (So Far, So Good, So What) on cassette.

The more I think about it, it might have been Motorhead's No Remorse comp album. I had that cassette for years before I left it on the dashboard of the car and the heat warped it.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:09 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

The more I think about it, it might have been Motorhead's No Remorse comp album. I had that cassette for years before I left it on the dashboard of the car and the heat warped it.

I owned Motorhead's No Sleep Til Hammersmith on vinyl and I remember thinking this was the heaviest band on Earth at the time, I was really young when someone in middle school gave me that album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:13 am

Kiss - Rock & Roll Over and Alive I - both purchased in 1976.

Heart - Little Queen - purchased in 1977, I'm guessing that "Barracuda" qualifies for heavy.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 11:27 am

detuned wrote:
Kiss - Rock & Roll Over and Alive I - both purchased in 1976.

Heart - Little Queen - purchased in 1977, I'm guessing that "Barracuda" qualifies for heavy.

Dude you started young, I was like 12 when I first got into metal music thanks to AC/DC, yes they were considered heavy metal in 1982.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?   What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are the first (truly heavy) albums you owned?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next