Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?

Go down 
+22
Shawn Of Fire
manny
SpectreFate
TheDoctor'sScarf
Schbopo
DeathCult
exact33
Waylon
mr.electric39
Gilbert
thejokeriv
ultmetal
martinsane
Eyesore
krokus
Witchfinder
mc666
snooloui
Fat Freddy
James B.
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 pm

As some have already mentioned, they should just leave well enough alone.

But hey, if they're bored, more power to them.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 3:28 pm

A little bit off topic, but does anyone think the whole Scorpions catalogue will be re-released in the near future?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:22 am

snooloui wrote:
A little bit off topic, but does anyone think the whole Scorpions catalogue will be re-released in the near future?

Not likely, unless they sign a deal with a new record label that can obtain the rights and re-issue all the old albums. That's allot of albums and legal wrangling, not to mention expense. Certainly not impossible, but not something that a major label is gonna do just outta the blue, especially in his day and age of declining sales.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:24 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
snooloui wrote:

Not likely, unless they sign a deal with a new record label that can obtain the rights and re-issue all the old albums. That's allot of albums and legal wrangling, not to mention expense. Certainly not impossible, but not something that a major label is gonna do just outta the blue, especially in his day and age of declining sales.

If memory serves, Mercury/Polygram "upgraded" their portion of the Scorps catalog with remasters ten or twelve years ago.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:29 am

Did they cover their entire discography? Cause I still have some major gaps in my Scorps 70's collection and some of those are still kinda hard to find and pricey. In Trance comes to mind.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:40 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Did they cover their entire discography? Cause I still have some major gaps in my Scorps 70's collection and some of those are still kinda hard to find and pricey. In Trance comes to mind.

They were on Mercury/Polygram from ANIMAL MAGNETISM thru FACE THE HEAT (plus the 'contract obligation' LIVE BITES). The stuff prior to that (i.e. the 70s) was on RCA/BMG, and after that they went thru labels like crap thru a goose (Atlantic, Koch, Sanctuary, Universal, and who knows, maybe one or two that I've missed)...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 11:04 am

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Classics-Scorpions/dp/B0030DIP7O

This is the cheapest way to get "In Trance" that I have seen. The CDs come in heavy cardboard sleeves. If you buy CDs for the music and not their resale value, its a great way to go. I have it, and it works great for me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 11:11 am

Yea, I've eyeballed that set (and some other box sets) from time to time too. I'm still holding out for individual copies to go with the rest of the albums I have.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 10:26 am

Bump for new info.

Album cover for the next Scorps album...Nov. 4th

Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Scorpionscomeblack

No word on what "classics" they've re-recorded yet. I know everyone is dying to hear 'Rock You Like a Hurricane 2011' Razz

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 10:34 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Bump for new info.

Album cover for the next Scorps album...Nov. 4th

No word on what "classics" they've re-recorded yet. I know everyone is dying to hear 'Rock You Like a Hurricane 2011' Razz

Damn it, this trend of re-recording your classics needs to stop, Foreigner's new Amazon exclusive album, on disc 2 are Foreigner songs re-recorded with their new vocalist.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 10:38 am

Give the bands a break. It's for licensing and direct royalty...I'm sure Polygram still gets paid too much for the originals. This way, they own these new recordings outright and can do with them what they want in terms of licensing, selling, etc.

Example: there's a new Jason Statham movie coming out using "RYLAH" in the trailer on TV...it's obviously Scorpions but it's obviously not the original...

Same reason Firehouse did 'Full Circle'...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 10:45 am

I think I'm with you, Manny. It was kinda cool at first, but it's getting kinda tiresome. Same with all-cover albums.

There are very few instances where the new stuff sounds as good as or better than the originals. I get the marketing/licensing stuff. Anyway to make a buck in the music industry these days. It's easier than producing new material sure, but the concept is played out.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 10:59 am

I would wager that, in Scorps case, they're not trying to make it sound "better"...its more $$ driven...I know Firehouse was motivated by $$...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:30 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I would wager that, in Scorps case, they're not trying to make it sound "better"...its more $$ driven...I know Firehouse was motivated by $$...

I'd wager that it's $$ driven in all cases. Some bands just choose to admit it and some don't. That's fine. But it sounds nicer in the press releases to say that you're "doing it for the fans so the music sounds the better or the way we originally intended it to sound".

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:34 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I'd wager that it's $$ driven in all cases. Some bands just choose to admit it and some don't. That's fine. But it sounds nicer in the press releases to say that you're "doing it for the fans so the music sounds the better or the way we originally intended it to sound".

Perhaps for bigger bands. I can say in the case of Ultimatum, we would LOVE to have had the opportunity to re-record the first album properly. It really is just a compilation of demos. The proof that it can be better is the re-recorded version of "Blink" on Into the Pit.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:34 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Give the bands a break. It's for licensing and direct royalty...I'm sure Polygram still gets paid too much for the originals. This way, they own these new recordings outright and can do with them what they want in terms of licensing, selling, etc.

Example: there's a new Jason Statham movie coming out using "RYLAH" in the trailer on TV...it's obviously Scorpions but it's obviously not the original...

Same reason Firehouse did 'Full Circle'...

And the same reason KISS re-recorded the classics. Gene has said it in interviews. If that is why the bands are doing this, then great. I have no issues with it - the band should get paid. We have all read about the record label's "accounting" - much like when Paramount said the "lost money" on Forrest Gump to avoid paying royalites. I believe Tom Hanks had to sue in order for Paramount to finally pay up.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:49 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Yes for the film Killer Elite. I noticed that to but I thought that it was the version from Moment of Glory (Hurricane 2000 is what they call it I think).
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Part of it, too, is that its easier & cheaper for a movie studio to go directly to the band and get re-records than it is to get originals from labels...the band undercuts the label on the fee and everyone (except the label) wins.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Part of it, too, is that its easier & cheaper for a movie studio to go directly to the band and get re-records than it is to get originals from labels...the band undercuts the label on the fee and everyone (except the label) wins.

Good - about time the band wins instead of the big labels!!!!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:08 pm

I don't mind these re-recordings at all. Sometimes they're terrible, but sometimes they're great, even better than the originals! Usually they're just good. Nothing wrong with that. I like good. I may dig the original more, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a new version.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:59 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I don't mind these re-recordings at all. Sometimes they're terrible, but sometimes they're great, even better than the originals! Usually they're just good. Nothing wrong with that. I like good. I may dig the original more, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a new version.

I can't disagree with this point but to me its pointless, they will never replace the original as far as fans and radio is concerned, and prefer to have a band move forward, but the money I suppose is too good to pass up, and I suppose I can't blame a band for wanting to cash in on their own legacy, not every band is AC/DC or Aerosmith who own their own masters.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 3:41 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

the Firehouse one is pretty good actually. I just dont like when they change the songs to make them 'new'.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 3:58 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Bump for new info.

Looks kinda like the Disney "Cars" logo doesn't it?

Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Cars-logo

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 5:37 pm

There are no original ideas anymore.Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 929854

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 9:19 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
There are no original ideas anymore.Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 929854

What about some of the new movies this year and next like The Thing, Straw Dogs, Footloose, Fright Night, Conan The Barbarian, Total Recall, and the new TV show I heard about recently called Charlie's Angels?

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?   Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scorpions To Re-Record the Classics?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next