Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

cut out bin classics

Go down 
+4
Fat Freddy
Shiney
ultmetal
Neuropete
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

cut out  bin classics Empty
PostSubject: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 5:10 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am new here, having just discovered this discussion board last Thursday. But, let me tell you that I have been impressed by the level of posts here. It is nice to hear people discuss music openly, honestly, intelligently and passionately.

I have a new topic I'd like to bring up. I was wondering if you had a favorite CD that you picked up by chance in the cutout bin, and learned to love. This would be a CD that has zero hits, probably sold around 100 copies, and none of your friends own. If you do, share it... I would be curious to see your posts....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 6:00 pm

Some of the best stuff in my cd collection has come out of the cut-out bin.I remember finding Tourniquet's "Stop The Bleeding" in there many years ago,never heard it before then.Glad i grabbed it! Also found Accept's "Objection Overruled" etc.(Theres some good stuff in those bins sometimes,too bad alot of people can't get over their hang ups about a small cut in the case.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 6:06 pm

Welcome Neuropete.

I've picked up TONS of CDs in the cut-out bins. I use to joke that stores like Hasting's would have stacks of 30 used NSync and Britney Spears CDs for $8.99 while stuff that was rare and hard to find would be sitting in the $3.99 or less bin. I loved it and bought tons of stuff from them for years. Bought Alice Cooper's "Fom the Inside" for $1 still sealed.

I'd be hard pressed to pick only one CD. The Alice Cooper CD was the first one that came to mind.

Another I remember is picking up the Applehead CD in a cut out bin is some obscure CD store in Albuquerque. It was like $2. Great CD by former Crucified guitarist Greg Minier.

ult
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 6:30 pm

I agree... cut out bins and used CD shops are havens for overlooked treasures. Over the years, I have come across many, many great CDs. I used to go to a store here in El Paso that used to have a section where they had CDs that were $2.50 or 5 for $10. I can't tell you how many great CDs I picked up there. I was surprised to find rarities that turned out to be worth much more than that. I remember coming across a CD by NOMEANSNO, an obscure punk band in the Alternative Tentacles label (ex Dead Kennedy's Jello Biafra's label). It is a great CD... has an almost Jazzy feel to it. I picked it up for like $2, and I found out later on that it was selling on eBay for around $60 (not that I would part with it, of course!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 8:17 pm

I'm with you guys! I've found hundreds of favorites this way!

I picked up a very rare album in a cut out bin that goes for over $50.00 on ebay once. It was Rosanna's Raiders first album, "Calling Down Fire". Those guys didn't know what they had!!!

A few others I've picked up have been:

Book of Love - several of their albums (this band is synthpop in the vein of Depeche Mode, but with female vocals)

A-Ha -Scoundrel Days (their first album was a huge hit, but their second one didn't sell so well, but it's actually a better album!)

It would take all day to list them all - but these ones immediately came to mind.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 8:26 pm

Too many to list...

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 8:59 pm

One of the many favorites that I have got in cut out bins over the years was Blacksmith's Fire From Within. I was short on rent one month years ago and with alot of others sold it off. Wish I still had that one......
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37653

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 9:09 pm

I miss cut out bins! The CD stores near me don't seem to have them anymore!!!

Like others have said, I've scored loads of killer CDs (and going back even farther, cassettes and vinyl!) from cut out bins over the years... I think my all time favorite score was Barren Cross' ATOMIC ARENA CD for $3.99, which was a very welcome sight since my cassette copy had crapped out a year or two earlier.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 2:52 am

Neuropete wrote:
I agree... cut out bins and used CD shops are havens for overlooked treasures. Over the years, I have come across many, many great CDs. I used to go to a store here in El Paso that used to have a section where they had CDs that were $2.50 or 5 for $10. I can't tell you how many great CDs I picked up there. I was surprised to find rarities that turned out to be worth much more than that. I remember coming across a CD by NOMEANSNO, an obscure punk band in the Alternative Tentacles label (ex Dead Kennedy's Jello Biafra's label). It is a great CD... has an almost Jazzy feel to it. I picked it up for like $2, and I found out later on that it was selling on eBay for around $60 (not that I would part with it, of course!)

My brother-in-law is a huge NOMEANSNO fan- He went to see them live in Oslo only a week ago or so. I'll tell him his complete collection is worth a buck or 2. That'll make his day.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 7:23 pm

They have the Galactic Cowboys debut in all the gas stations around here for 2 bucks. A good album! Warrior Soul also.

Someone posted here a few weeks ago about the "Metal Minded" NWOBHM compilation that was a bargain bin fixture. I found that for two bucks also. Some cool obscure melodic NWOBHM.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 8:22 pm

That's some pretty good stuff for only $2 SAHB!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 9:27 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
They have the Galactic Cowboys debut in all the gas stations around here for 2 bucks. A good album! Warrior Soul also.

Someone posted here a few weeks ago about the "Metal Minded" NWOBHM compilation that was a bargain bin fixture. I found that for two bucks also. Some cool obscure melodic NWOBHM.

Man, I could use both of those!

I always go through the $1, and $2.50 bins at my local used store. Find lots of rare independent releases and oddball stuff that ends up there because the barcode doesn't come up in their computer system. Have gotten bands like Master of Reality, Damaged (thrash band from seattle who are excellent), and all kinds of interesting things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 11:17 am

Off the top of my head: BEFORE THE DAWN.

I posted about them the other day (here). I plucked their first two from used bins around here for $2 each. They're now one of my favorite bands! Outside of Europe, or even Finland maybe, they're hardly known. I've been bringing them up on forums for a few years now and no one has ever heard of them. Sad.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 6:46 pm

The cutout that I used to see all the time that I can't find anymore is Nudeswirl.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 7:12 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
The cutout that I used to see all the time that I can't find anymore is Nudeswirl.
Absolutely! Awesome band. We discussed them here before, right? I saw them tour with White Zombie in the early 90s. I loved them. When they played "Buffalo," I remember saying to my friend, "I'm buying this album after they're finished." And my friend looked at me like he was going to puke. Haha. And I bought the album that night. It's been a favorite ever since, in constant rotation. It's one of my go-to albums.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 7:19 pm

I have NUDESWIRL and see a copy in every used store hit....so if SAHB needs a copy...say the word...

Great disc!!!

nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 2:01 pm

once i saw a copy of a van halen album the one with the bloke holding the globe for 2.99 in a bin but when i went to buy it it was gone
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 2:29 pm

Here in The Netherlands most sale-bins have quite some gems in them, even stuff that is rare in other countries.... Then again there's also a lot of overpriced crap that no one wants in the second hand stores overhere.....
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 3:28 pm

Seed of Pain wrote:
Then again there's also a lot of overpriced crap that no one wants in the second hand stores overhere.....

That's doesn't just happen in the Netherlands, that's EVERYWHERE.

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 3:03 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Seed of Pain wrote:
Then again there's also a lot of overpriced crap that no one wants in the second hand stores overhere.....

:lol!:

Isn't it funny that most rare stuff is dirtcheap while the worst pieces of crap are priced at like $12 a piece (second hand)...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 8:21 am

Seed of Pain wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Seed of Pain wrote:

:lol!:

Isn't it funny that most rare stuff is dirtcheap while the worst pieces of crap are priced at like $12 a piece (second hand)...

Unfortunately (in the US at least) the "eBay effect" is starting to show in used CD stores. Either people are scarfing up all the good stuff cheap to re-sell on eBay, or the stores themselves are keeping an eye on eBay prices and if they have some of the "rarer" CDs in stock they will price them accordingly.
I miss the days when you could walk into a store, look thru the used CD bins and everything in there was the same price, no matter how old, new, rare, or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 3:46 pm

I definitley amen that...Up until last year I used to hit local CD WAREHOUSES and make some really killer scores...then they started keeping all the buys back until the could "Web check" them and price accordingly...now you see stuff like a copy of RUMBLDOG priced at $45 or PETER CRISS' 2ndsolo cd priced for $39...

it has sucked all the fun out of hitting the shops...

Last edited by on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 8:45 am

It's pretty bizarre to see that 'rare' stuff abroad can be commonly found overhere.... There is, of course, stuff that is harder to get but most of the time you can easily get yourself some decent stuff for reasonable to low prices....

There are so many shops that do sell quality gems for a sweet price... unfortunately a lot of small businesses discovered ebay and the likes and buy all the sales items they can get their hands on to sell them off for a small fortune....

I do find a lot of decent stuff though.... Flea-markets are an undying source for good music for almost no money.... I bought 20 cds last week for just 10 euros and they were all in great shape.... It was mostly common stuff but I managed to trade off all of them in just two days!

edit: type'o removal lol Smile
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 11:54 am

Quote :
I use to joke that stores like Hasting's would have stacks of 30 used NSync and Britney Spears CDs for $8.99 while stuff that was rare and hard to find would be sitting in the $3.99 or less bin.

I found Deliverance Intense Live Vol 1 in a bin for 4 bucks

I Love Hastings Smile
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cut out bin classics   cut out  bin classics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cut out bin classics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-