Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What inspired your taste in metal?

Go down 
+24
Temple of Blood
mc666
sheets
candlemass
EvyMetal
Gilbert
adrian
shamgar75
manny
SAHB Healer
Wargod
rawr!
James B.
chewie
krokus
thejokeriv
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
exact33
metalinmyveins
Stender
Fat Freddy
metalhead777
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

What inspired your taste in metal? Empty
PostSubject: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:31 am

I think there can be a few external things you enjoy that can determine what genre of metal,or what elements appeal to you. Just a though but I find that Myself,being the huge nerd I am (played video games since the NES days,played everquest with my wife for a while) enjoy atmospheric metal with plenty of synth and keyboard or somphonic elements,along with lyrics based around fantasy,conquest,battle and the likes.

Might as well link a few examples

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37640

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:51 am

Fall of 1981, my cable TV system added this newfangled "radio with pictures" channel called MTV. Came home one afternoon, sat down to watch some of it for the first time, and saw Judas Priest's video for "Headin' Out to the Highway." Nuff said.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 12:14 pm

I don't even know how to explain why, it just seemed like something I should be listening to..haha. First bands to get me into metal were probaby back in late middle school early highschool listening to the more metal sounding 90s hardcore punk...stuff like Earth crisis, vegan reich, Raid, and Strife besides this weird european power metal obsession I had a for awhile that I try to forget about..ha.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fall of 1981, my cable TV system added this newfangled "radio with pictures" channel called MTV. Came home one afternoon, sat down to watch some of it for the first time, and saw Judas Priest's video for "Headin' Out to the Highway." Nuff said.

Oh....You mean that station that caters to those who watch"Reality T.V"? Damn, I almost forgot, they used to actually cater to a totally different crowd!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:04 pm

I was hanging out with my friend who had just gotten the tape of Vio-lence - Eternal nightmare. He went on to play some metallica, ozzy and Priest. I was hooked.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:05 pm

Anger & anti-social behavior. Now I had a soundtrack.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:09 pm

I heard the song "Tears Are Falling" by KISS at a cousin's house around 1988. I've been into rock and metal ever since.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:33 pm

KISS in the 70's started it all for me
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:46 pm

I saw some guys at school looking cool with cool MAIDEN shirts and i wanted to look like them. I went to a record shop and bought the cool double LIVE AFTER DEATH album and i loved it so much. At the same time i bought a metal magazine and started to read reviews and order more records and i bought my first tshirts and start hanging with other metalheads.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

That one.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37640

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 2:28 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Oh....You mean that station that caters to those who watch"Reality T.V"? Damn, I almost forgot, they used to actually cater to a totally different crowd!

Yup, it's hard to believe for anyone under the age of, say, 35, but MTV was actually pretty cool ... once.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 6:01 pm

I have "taste" Laughing very hard

Playing in bar bands and following the chicks around like a dog in heat...catered to a certain flavor of music that was emerging in El Lay in the early 80's. By 82', you could hear everything from Crue/Dokken, Slayer/Metallica, Shell Shock/Armored Saint...ect ect...

There was my casual exposure to the punk scene from being a downhill skateboarder, thus a vested interest in thrash when it reared it's ugly head so-to-speak.

Believe it or not, El Lay was an interesting and exciting place for music untill the saturation ruined the scene(s) by too many folks chasing that dream. Be it the hordes of refuge musicians flooding in from everywhere to the money grubbing club owners/promoters/A and R record execs/The List Goes On and On.

I guess it comes down to balance ? Sure watching scantily clad females dancing around to the glamsters was a contrast to headbanging 101 elsewhere... The cement to the whole trip was playing with other musicians. Just had a thought...Seems participation in both hands on and spectatorship molds ones musical endeavors and interests.

Believe it or not....I came up for air and am now finished.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 6:10 pm

pretty much everything about metal appeals to me....insane drumming, heavily distorted guitar (especially fast and technical stuff), extreme vocals, the atmosphere created by an 80s thrash masterpiece or great black metal record (etc), lyrics about the need for social change/death/etc, community, wild shows, the passion musicians and fans have for the movement, and even more things than that.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 6:40 pm

Well actually my days of music and actually back in the early 70's it was classified as hard rock and it wasn't until the mid 70's that term heavy metal was used.

I actually meet these 2 guys who were going to college in my town where I live and they were more or less from a small town in northern North Dakota. Anyway not quite sure how we met I believe it was in a bar and we loved to smoke pot.

Anyway those 2 were buds growing up together and they did almost everything together. Well they had there own apt in a basement and a couple of my friends would stop by quite a bit to get high. I loved music quite abit and was into mostly the popular hard rock with some exceptions. Well these 2 new friends were into stuff I was clueless about back then.

They were into White Witch, Budgie, Trapeze, The Godz, The Groundhogs, Captain Beyond.....not your typical mainstream rock back in those days. I guess from those days on the to the present I would alway take chances on music and most of the time it would involve undeground stations like Beeker Street out of Little Rock, Ark. or the album covers alway drew me in and I had such good luck in those days.

I also had my circle of friends as well. But I'd say today that those friends back then would not be into what I listen to now. They either moved on, got, married or simply went a different route or style of music.

I'd have to say I'm more metal at 52 than I was at 15.

Wargod52
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
undeground stations like Beeker Street out of Little Rock, Ark.

Wargod52

That was one of the main ones for me as well. That was the first place I heard Rush, for example.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Sometime around 1973, I heard the 45 single of Hey Jude/Revolution by The Beatles. As soon as I heard that distorted guitar on Revolution it was like an epiphany, I've never looked back.

Listening to the radio in the mid-70's was great, hearing stuff like the guitar riff from Barracuda, Nugent playing Cat Scratch Fever, Paranoid powered by the mighty Iommi, Money by Pink Floyd, Parasite by Kiss...etc.

The sound of a heavy guitar...haunting me for 37 years now.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 pm

An anti rock rally at the First Baptist Church of Largo in 1982, this guy Rev Billy Mayo preached against the evils of rock, played record backwards, and then played 'Highway to Hell' I was floored never heard music like this in my life, went out to the lobby stoled his pamphlet which became a handy buying guide.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 10:47 pm

I grew up listening to pretty everything Christian Rock. During my sophomore year or so, I borrowed my friend's Iron Maiden "Somewhere in Time" and "Piece of Mind". I loved it. With that in mind, I went to the Creation Music Festival and in the makeshift music store they were playing the HOT METAL IV video. It piqued my interest big time: Ken Tamplin, Angelica, Deliverance, Ransom, Tourniquet, Vengeance Rising, Shout. From there I was a full out lover of metal

headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:11 pm

My dad got me started from as early as I can remember listening to his Mortification cassettes. Especially Scrolls of the Megilloth. My favorite album in elementary school was Blood World. Then when I started to really get into music I happened to get into Yngwie's music (my dad happened to have a compilation) and from there I discovered Megadeth, Kreator, Judas Priest, etc. and from there I just kept discovering new bands that I loved.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9878

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 12:45 am

I have to thank my older sister, who was a huge rock fan at the time.

Scorpions, Ozzy, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Foreigner, Billy Idol and Bon Jovi were always played loud in her room.

I got interested and started exploring heavier grounds, thanks to my school buddies.

This is how i found about Sepultura, Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Obituary...

I was never into the metal attitude though. Never had long hair, barely wore a metal shirt all my life...

It was only about the music.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 5:32 am

I found Paranoid at a cd shop. Bought it.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 6:53 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:14 am

manny wrote:
An anti rock rally at the First Baptist Church of Largo in 1982, this guy Rev Billy Mayo preached against the evils of rock, played record backwards, and then played 'Highway to Hell' I was floored never heard music like this in my life, went out to the lobby stoled his pamphlet which became a handy buying guide.

lol!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39514

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:27 am

thejokeriv wrote:
KISS in the 70's started it all for me

Same here. It was just a natural progression from there.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:33 am

I have a sister and brother that are both significantly older, so while other kids I knew had no frame of reference for music beyond the most mainstream stuff they were hearing on the radio, most of which was the usual "catchy" pop music, I was getting exposed early on to stuff like Queen, Aerosmith, KISS, AC/DC, Rush, Def Leppard, etc. Then not too long after that, Quiet Riot broke out and they were certainly fun, and around 84 or 85 I got to be friends with a kid whose sister's boyfriend was really into Iron Maiden and that opened up a whole new world for me. Shortly afterward we discovered Metallica and then Megadeth and there was no more looking back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What inspired your taste in metal?   What inspired your taste in metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What inspired your taste in metal?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: