Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your first taste of death metal?

Go down 
+29
kmorg
mlotek
jstate
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
James B.
Ravenscraig
Alex Dee Rokket
Wayne
EvyMetal
Lurideath
DeathCult
The_Jayroh
DallasBlack
exact33
Troublezone
Tur-Thalion
bassman
Temple of Blood
arachnoplasma
adrian
Wurthless
thejokeriv
ultmetal
Cognitive Dissonance
Chairman_Smith
mc666
metalhead777
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

Your first taste of death metal? Empty
PostSubject: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Simply put. Whats the first death metal song you can remember hearing and enjoying,or what got you into the genre.
I remember a few years back I was looking through a small local pawn shop and came across a copy of Mortification's "Relentless". From the cover I thought it was a power metal album, that my short,scruffy haired 13 year old self would like. Even though it was more of a thrash release I still liked it. But the ending track "apocalyptic terror" scared the hell out of me! I had never even heard death metal before but after a span of about 2 years I couldn't get enough.

Anyone else want to share their experience?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 7:24 pm

i traded Nuclear Assault's Game Over for Napalm Death's FETO back in 90. the guy i trade with said it was too harsh for him. it's not death metal, but it certainly opened the door for me. along with Death, Hellhammer, & Possessed.

Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 7:33 pm

Death's Sound of Perserverence album
Back to top Go down
Cognitive Dissonance
Metal student
Metal student
Cognitive Dissonance

Number of posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Scream Bloody Gore.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 8:05 pm

I think it was Death - Scream Bloody Gore when I was in college in the late 80's.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Probably this back in 1984:

[youtube][/youtube]
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 8:36 pm

The first death metal I really enjoyed was Death's Symbolic and Sound of Perseverance. I still haven't branched out very far yet, but I plan on getting a few more Death albums, some Morbid Angel, Obituary, Nile, and Deicide.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Mortification. Specifically the self titled and Scrolls of the Megilloth. I grew up hearing those albums and enjoyed them as much then as I still do today. Though the cover of the self titled scared me when I was little

To be honest I've never branched out much further in the genre. The only other death metal in my cd collection is Scream Bloody Gore and the two releases from Possession.
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Well, mine's a bit obscure, I guess. My older sister was friends with a guy who was the lead singer in a local death-metal band called Skeletal Earth. He gave her one of his demo tapes and that was actually my first exposure to death-metal. This was sometime in the early '90s so I was really young.

I had never heard anything even remotely like this at the time and I thought it was pretty horrible... Haha! In retrospect I guess it's really not that bad. Death-metal still isn't really my cup of tea but I do appreciate it a lot more than I used to. Death was probably the first death-metal band that I really opened up to with the Human album. Great stuff there.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 10:02 pm

I'm fairly certain it was something by DEATH.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 10:14 pm

Mortification's s/t for me, at first I was like "what is this?".

But it grew on me pretty quickly.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Pretty sure it was Living Sacrifice - Nonexistent, during the summer of 1997 or so?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 10:49 pm

It was Death's Human album. But if Grindcore counted, then it would be Napalm Death - Harmony/Corruption.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Mortification - Nocturnal

I saw it in a used cd and decided to check it out. Got it for $4. It was one of my first Christian metal cds. I remember putting it my truck cd player and thinking Crickets!!!!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Sepultura-Territory. Yeah, they are thrash but at the time some people called it death metal and it got me interested in hearing what other death metal was out there. My first real taste of death metal I couldn't tell you for sure. It could have been any of the following:

Morbid Angel-God Of Emptiness
Napalm Death-Suffer The Children
Obituary-The End Complete
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 11:38 pm

Fear Factory's Soul of a New Machine for me
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 11:53 pm

Quote :

Sepultura-Territory. Yeah, they are thrash but at the time some people called it death metal.

Not even close. Strange people...
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 12:04 am

Death- Scream Bloody Gore

And it's still awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 1:01 am

For me it was Possessed, but that was really just thrash at the time.
What really sold me on it was Cannibal Corpse "Eaten Back to Life" album. I was mesmerized by the sheer intensity and the fact I could not understand a single word.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 1:58 am

I didn't get into death metal until a couple years ago, and I didn't start listening to it until I heard some black metal from a friend of mine. I heard some Burzum and found out that there was good music that incorporated vocal styles other than straight falsetto and melodic strains. I would have to say the first death metal album I listened to was Autopsy's Severed Survival.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 4:21 am

It's kinda strange but my route into death metal came via paradise lost. At the time I was big into Metallica, megadeth, iron maiden, priest etc and I remember seeing the video for 'As I Die' come on headbangers ball (those were the days lol). I thought it was brilliant and immediately spent the next day searching out a copy of Shades of god the album it was on. Loved every minute of that album and then picked up gothic. I'm still a massive paradise lost fan today but they then lead me towards my dying bride and cathedral and then anathema. Now whilst these bands are more doom they helped me to get into the whole growling vocal style.

The first proper death metal album I bought was necroticism-descanting the insalubrious by Carcass. What an awesome album title lol. From there I went on to discover obituary, Death, entombed, napalm death, morbid angel etc.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 5:34 am

For me it was two albums:

Sepultura's Arise and Possessed's Seven Churches

Arise while mostly thrash metal has some elements of death in it - in any case it's very borderline. I guess here what I found interesting was the harshness of Max's vocals and the brutal riff assault that stood out from the likes of Metallica or Megadeth (which is what I was listening to a lot at the time).

Seven Churches is still kinda borderline, a lot of people consider it death metal but it can easily also fall under the thrash metal category. It is all a matter of perspective.

These two albums then influenced me to look further into death metal, I got into bands like Pestilence, Malevolent Creation, early Nile (yeah this was way before even Black Seeds was released), Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel.
Back to top Go down
Ravenscraig
Metal student
Metal student
Ravenscraig

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 6:29 am

Pestilence - Consuming Impulse

Back to top Go down
http://www.veilofdeception.com
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 8:40 am

Hellhammer

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 8:48 am

1985, my brother brought home SEVEN CHURCHES by Possessed. He put it on the stereo, and as the first track (I believe it's "The Exorcist") began, musically it sounded pretty good, until the vocals started... soon as I heard that WOOOOOARRRRRRRGH I was like "Um, no thanks...check please."

In the 25+ years since then my opinion on harsh vox hasn't changed much.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your first taste of death metal?   Your first taste of death metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your first taste of death metal?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next