Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.

Go down 
+3
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Empty
PostSubject: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 3:13 pm

http://www.metalunderground.com/reviews/details.cfm?releaseid=8010

Click on link and listen to Overloaded to see what I mean.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Not bad. I don't really hear Thin Lizzy and I think this sounds much more 80s than 70s despite what the review indicates.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Some of the vocal phrasing and tone reminds me of TL. Some of it reminds me of Gary Moore solo at times.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Here's the video for Hedgeking:

I am really digging this album and I can't wait to see them when they open for The Sword.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 2:33 pm

Yeah, you and I seem to be the only ones.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 2:43 pm

They sound cool enough, reminds me a bit of Grand Magus. I'm not up on Lizzy that much, so I'm not getting that comparrision.

I may feel more moved after seeing them live, opening for The Sword. That's happened plenty of times before.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Don't worry about S.D. He's been in a tizzy lately. If Steven Wilson isn't involved with it in some way shape or form he won't like it. Razz Razz Razz

I heard this band mentioned on That Metal Show a few weeks ago but I didn't bother checking into it now that it was posted here I'm glad I decided to watch that video. The song is pretty good and I like it so I'll be looking to get this eventually. Its not a Lizzy rip off but it does have some Lizzy inspired things going on through the song which is pretty cool. Makes you wonder if Phil was still around could this be similar to what they would be doing? Who knows....

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 4:02 pm

So it appears the lead singer/bassist of Gypsyhawk is still in, or has played in the following bands:

Gypsyhawk - current member
Huntress - current member
Holy Grail - former member
Skeletonwitch - former member
Green & Wood - ???

The dude gets around!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 4:31 pm

Skeletonwitch doesn't fit the rest.

Quote :
may feel more moved after seeing them live, opening for The Sword.

Eat some prunes too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Quote :

I guess I misread it somewhere. I thought he was a current member of Skeleton Witch and this was just a"traditional metal" side-project. Either way, dude's got allot of irons in the fire.

Anyone got any info on the other opening act, Eagle Claw?

Quote :
Eat some prunes too

Yes, it's very improtant for a man of my advancing years to stay regular. sign

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 4:53 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

I guess I misread it somewhere. I thought he was a current member of Skeleton Witch and this was just a"traditional metal" side-project. Either way, dude's got allot of irons in the fire.

Anyone got any info on the other opening act, Eagle Claw?

Quote :
Eat some prunes too

Yes, it's very improtant for a man of my advancing years to stay regular. sign

Eagle Claw are instrumental only. They are pretty cool but they need a vocalist IMO.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Cool, I dig "instrumental only" bands, will check them out.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25831

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 9:28 pm

Was listening to this cd earlier. I'm really liking it. Some songs definitely have a Lizzy influence.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:11 pm

These guys are on my want list. They sound great, but nothing mind-blowing.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 6:48 am

The music is alright, but I don't care for the vocals.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 10:38 am

Gypsyhawk is sounding better and better. I think I'll be picking up something from them at some point.

I checked out a few other clips from Eagle Claw. Not bad, but could be a bit monotonous after 3 or 4 songs. A vocalist might help break things up a bit.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Very few all instrumental albums really grab me. A song or two can be cool but for some reason I prefer having a vocalist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 1:07 pm

If I included all the fusion and jazz albums, I would say my collection is probably 60% instrumental. Instrumental music engages me in a completely different way and I'll go through periods where that's all I want to listen to. Granted, I prefer when instrumental music is largely improvisational, which leaves out a large chunk of the rock-based stuff.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 1:13 pm

The few jazz albums I have are pretty much all-instrumental. I kinda prefer it that way. I think it's just the way I was introduced to the genre and I've enjoyed it vocalist-free.

But all-instrumental rock or metal can get a bit ponderous to me. It's either kinda samey and boring or over-the-top technical wankery. Hard to find a middle ground there.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 1:57 pm

Still loving this album! There are songs on here that would fit right in on Thunder and Lightning. "Frostwyrm" in particular is Lizzy inspired.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Anyone know the status of this band? Are they still around? Just wondering.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 4:32 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Anyone know the status of this band? Are they still around? Just wondering.

They broke up. However, main man and lead vocalist Eric Harris has a new band - Gygax and they just released their debut album. It sounds just like Gypsyhawk.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 4:38 pm

Dang. That's a shame. I just got their first album.

Oh well, that new tune sounds decent. Sounds even more Thin Lizzy-ish. Weird name though. Gygax sounds like a pharmaceutical ointment. Or a Marvel comics evil alien intent on destroying our planet.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2016 4:39 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Dang. That's a shame. I just got their first album.

Oh well, that new tune sounds decent. Sounds even more Thin Lizzy-ish. Weird name though. Gygax sounds like a pharmaceutical ointment. Or a Marvel comics evil alien intent on destroying our planet.

They are huge D&D nerds, so the band is named after the creator of Dungeons and Dragons - Gary Gygax.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.   Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gypsyhawk-Thin Lizzy inspired.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: