Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

An acquired taste....

Go down 
+29
7thSaviour
ultmetal
EvyMetal
sam
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
kethdredd
Hamer12
powermacho
Leatherface
Schbopo
MetalFRO
HellRaiser
T-Roy
Svengo
manny
sheets
tohostudios
RimShot
XYZ
Stender
SideShowDisaSter
stevegarveyfan
MetalGuy71
James B.
kmorg
DeathCult
mc666
Fat Freddy
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

An acquired taste.... Empty
PostSubject: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:41 am

Metal seems to be a genre where you don't have to have the prettiest voice to be a vocalist. There are plenty of vocalists who have a "unique" sound. Some of these guys are very love/hate. Name some you find to be unique and a bit oddball.

My choices are:

Attacker's Bob Mitchell
Sacred Steel's Gerrit P. Mutz
Agent Steel's John Cyriis
Stormwitch's Andrew Muck

I like all those vocalists but they can be an acquired taste.....
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:43 am

Raven's John Gallagher's vocal style is definitely a "love or hate" kinda thing. Some people can't handle the squawks. I love'em. Laughing

The first time I saw Raven years ago, John was onstage before their set started, tuning up his bass and testing out his wireless mic, he let loose with one of those classic "WAAAAAA-AAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!" screams and a girl standing behind my brother and I covered her ears and said "Oh, my GOD! Shut UP!" ... my bro looked at her and deadpanned "Boy, did YOU come to see the wrong band."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu May 07, 2009 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:44 am

Udo, King Diamond, & Tom Warrior are definitely an acquired taste as well.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:45 am

Roger Martinez is another "acquired taste." Though I dug them musically I could never get into Vengeance Rising because the vox annoyed the hell out of me. Ditto for Guy Ritter from Tourniquet.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:47 am

King Diamond
John Connelly
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:48 am

No disrespect intended, but I thought ult was a bit of an acquired taste when I first heard Ultimatum.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:49 am

Rock 'n' Rolf - Runnig Wild
Peavey Wagner - Rage

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:49 am

SpectreFate wrote:
No disrespect intended, but I thought ult was a bit of an acquired taste when I first heard Ultimatum.

Me too. But now I think he sounds awesome. Go figure.

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:50 am

Chris Bothedahl is definitely a candidate!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:50 am

The early Bride lps
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:07 pm

Because I'm currently listening to it, I'm gonna go with:

High on Fire's Matt Pike

I held off buying anything by these guys for the longest time, just because I wasn't sold on the gruff vocals. Now that I've got 2 of their releases, I can wait to get the rest of the discography. His vocals fit in well with the music.

I've only recently been warming up to Kind Diamond as well. He used to be like nails on a chalk-board to me, but I'm really digging the Mercyful Fates discs I picked up a few weeks ago.

Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:11 pm

Yes, Scott Waters's vocals are a little strange at first, but once you have heard the album Puppet of Destruction, you see why he's a great fit for a snarling thrash band!

Guy Ritter from Tourniquet - pretty much my favorite metal vocalist of all time, along with Bobby Ellsworth and a few select others.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned:

Sean Killian from Vio-lence

And another I found to be strange on first listen, but have come to like:

Paul Gleneicki from Savage Steel

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:33 pm

Good subject and very true. How many vocalists make or break it for many thrash and power metal bands?

Dave Mustaine is one who I hear a lot of people say this about. I love his voice but many can't handle it.

Lemmy

And Andrew Muck is why I don't listen to Stormwitch 'cause I love the music.

Last edited by TheNazgul on Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:35 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

And Andrew Muck is why I don't listen to Skeletonwitch 'cause I love the music.

You sure you got all that right? Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Doh. I was thinking I needed to add Skeletonwitch to the list and typed it there. Hey, i'm old.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Thats strange that some of you guys think Andrew muck is an aquired taste, in my opinion his voice is pretty normal sounding.

I'll say the guy from Manilla Road...cant remember his name right now. First time I listened to manilla road I thought kermit the frog was their vocalist.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 1:26 pm

The singer in Lordian Guard (forgot her name)

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 1:29 pm

James LaBrie
Back to top Go down
RimShot
Metal novice
Metal novice
RimShot

Number of posts : 91

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 1:47 pm

I'll have to say Ozzy Osbourne, love his stuff but could you imagine him singing for anyone else. He has a unique voice that isn't amazing but his song writing skills and the musicians he surrounds himself with make him amazing....
Back to top Go down
http://www.therefineryrock.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Thorsten Kohlrausch of Dark At Dawn.

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Tim Baker of Cirith Ungol.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 2:18 pm

Cookie Monster who has fronted many of my favorite death metal bands.

Last edited by manny on Thu May 07, 2009 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 2:22 pm

manny wrote:
Cookie Monster who has fronted many of my favorite death metals.

That dude is busy as hell, how does he find time to record all those albums AND appear on Sesame Street?
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 2:27 pm

detuned wrote:
manny wrote:
Cookie Monster who has fronted many of my favorite death metals.

That dude is busy as hell, how does he find time to record all those albums AND appear on Sesame Street?
Sometimes he does both at the same time. Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWac5UT80no&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An acquired taste....   An acquired taste.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An acquired taste....
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next