Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal Empty
PostSubject: SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal   SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 10:18 am

None of you know this, but I'm rather impartial to the work of J.R.R. Tolkien. And as a fan of Tolkien, I love metal bands ,such as Blind Guardian and Summoning, who take their inspiration from his works.

Summoning is a band who, though they're a bit of an acquired taste, become as addictive as crack once you finally 'get it'.

Summoning are a bit unique musically. At their heart, they are a two-man Black Metal group from Austria. However, musically, they're very unusual. Although Black Metal is at the heart of their sound (i.e. heavily distorted buzzsaw guitars, raspy reptilian vocals), they also are really heavy on ambience and soundscapes. They make heavy use of synthesizers and drum machines, creating unusually clean and authentic orchestral sounds and percussion. These guys are MASTERS in the production department, creating extremely convincing choirs even though their are only TWO PEOPLE in the group!

Lyrically, it's no contest. These guys are SERIOUS students in the field of Tolkien studies. These guys live and breath the world of Middle-earth. In fact, I'm pretty sure that "Mirdautas Vras" from their recent album Oath Bound is the first song to be written entirely in the Black Speech of Mordor.

Of course, they have a few songs with no Tolkien inspiration......but they don't quite register at the moment.

So, to those who may be new to Summoning, one may go to their website at http://www.summoning.info/ and find mp3 samples.

Any other fans out there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal   SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 10:54 am

I love Blind Guardian, and Summoning. I have read All of J.R.R. Tolkiens novels and short stories, and even some of his essays. J.R.R. An old band named Rush released a song called the necromancer witch was about the lord of the rings. Black metal and Doom metal for me is just awsum. I totally agree with you, black metal RULES!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal   SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 12:27 pm

I'll have to check them out.
Have you ever heard Battlelore? Big into Tolkien as well. Kind of gothic/black.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal   SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 12:59 pm

I remember sampling Summoning a few years ago, and what I can remember I liked. I will have to try them out again, I totally dig tolkien inspired metal also, Blind Guardian was some of the first metal I was ever aquainted with.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal   SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 1:09 pm

Rivendell was another Rush song based on Tolkien.

Robert Plant was a huge Tolkien fan, and included references in quite a
few Zep songs, including Ramble On, Battle of Evermore and Misty Mountain Hop.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

PostSubject: Re: SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal   SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 2:23 pm

I have only heard the album "Oath Bound", which is a great album.
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal   SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 9:00 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
I'll have to check them out.
Have you ever heard Battlelore? Big into Tolkien as well. Kind of gothic/black.

Yeah, I've heard them and seen clips. Kinda like a heavier, power metal version of Lacuna Coil. Sounds neat.

Any album you'd suggest beginning with?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal   SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 9:30 pm

Third Age of the Sun is a great start and where they put the pieces together musically imo.
Back to top Go down
asgard1980
Metal novice
Metal novice
asgard1980

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal   SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 6:42 am

I´m a big fan of Summoning. In my collection I have all CDs of these Austrian Band, such as a bootleg with the Demos and even a Promo CD of Stronghold.

My favorites are Stronghold, Oathbound (Land Of The Dead, one of their best tracks ever)and the Nightshade Forest EP.

There´ll be a forthcoming album of Summoning this Spring called: Old Mornings Dawn

If anybody is interested in this band, you can buy every album since Minas Morgul (The Lost Tales EP only if you can get a cheap copy).

But, the debut called: Lugburz is a different kind of music than the other albums. Lugburz was grim and rough Black Metal like old Mayhem, Gorgoroth etc.

Back to top Go down
http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/asgard1980
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal   SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SUMMONING: Tolkien-inspired atmosphereic Black Metal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: