Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your significant other's musical tastes

Go down 
+30
Witchfinder
SAHB Healer
mc666
DallasBlack
nevermore
DeathCult
martinsane
325ad
Hamer12
Eyesore
shamgar75
QuothTheRaven
Troublezone
Stender
Schbopo
stepcousin
chewie
tohostudios
bassman
James B.
Lari
thejokeriv
exact33
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
manny
A Handful of Wayne
Fat Freddy
Joe
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

Your significant other's musical tastes Empty
PostSubject: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Okay, if your unfortunate like me, you sometimes have to be subjected to music that you really wish you didn't have to be. But, this whole marriage thing is 50/50 so sometimes I have to sacrifice my stereo time (in the house or during long road trips). So, what is your significant other's tastes in music.

My wife likes alot of different styles of music, so sometimes it is tolerable. But, she also likes artists like Lady Caca sign

She's big on the Eagles, P!nk, NKOTB ( Laughing very hard ), Madonna, Michael Jackson, most grunge/alternative bands. I can get her to listen to some metal, but usually it is of the "flower" variety. I turn on any black or death, then she's just as miserable as I am when she's playing her Wizard of Oz or Annie soundtracks. angry

So what are you subjected to? Also, for those that have kids, if you haven't brainswashed them yet, what has society brainwashed them into listening to.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 1:37 pm

My wife is one of those people who doesn't really follow music at all anymore... usually she's pretty much fine with whatever's on the radio. (as long as it isn't "current" top 40 or hip-hop)

She rarely, if ever, buys CDs and in fact her 'CD collection' amounts to maybe 50 discs total (most of which are country music - Garth Brooks, Dixie Chicks, Brooks & Dunn, Shania Twain, etc. - with some classic rock and golden oldies mixed in). Even the CDs she has rarely get played... now that I mention it, my brother got her the new Carrie Underwood CD for Christmas, and as I sit here typing this it's sitting on the desk, still in the shrink wrap. I'm like "Are you ever gonna listen to this?" and she sez "(Shrug) Ehh, I'll get to it eventually."

Occasionally she'll put the "country" or "classic rock" Music Choice station on our TV for background music when we're cleaning house or working on a project or whatever, but that's about it.

Truthfully I'm fine with all of the above, cuz I'm a big enough music geek for both of us and then some, so if she was as maniacal about her genres as I am about mine, we'd probably fight over whose CDs to play in the car, around the house, etc. all the time.

As for my young'uns, my oldest is 8 and the younger one is almost 4, so they haven't really shown interest in music at all yet. They do, however, torment my 7 year old niece mercilessly about her crush on Justin Bieber. Laughing very hard Any time my 8 year old sees J.B. on TV he goes "UGH! Dad, that guy is such a LAME-O!" It makes me so proud. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 1:45 pm

My gf listens to some pretty brutal stuff. Mostly it's these acoustic singer guys like Pete Yorn (or as I like to call him Pete Yawn), Greg Laswell (or as I like to call him Greg Gagswell), crap... I forgot the other one thats her favorite oh Andrew Bird (and as I like to call him Andrew Tird). Surprisingly enough though she does like some things that I like and she also has a few cds that I have like Smashing Pumpkins (that used to be her favorite band), Tool, Stone Temple Pilots nothing out of the ordinary.

She can't really tollerate my stuff. I was going through some cds the other day and a Slayers Angel Of Death came on so I turned the radio up and started thrashing around the house and playing the air guitar and air drums (yes air drums) in front of her. She thought it was funny, but she doesn't like that music at all.

She usually laughs at my music if it seems corney to her, which annoys me because I know some of the stuff I listen to they really don't take themselves seriously but she thinks they are being serious and she doesn't get it. She doesn't have a choice though we've been living together for the last month or 2 and things have been fine. I have a 200 cd changer so we each put a few cds in that we like and we just hit shuffle. Which reminds me I have to change up some of my picks. Can't wait to hear what Dimmu Borgir sounds like after a Pete Yorn song.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

She usually laughs at my music if it seems corney to her

Years ago when we moved from our apartment to our new house my wife was helping me pack my CDs in a box and she had a comment for just about every one of 'em (i.e. "Ewww! What the hell is this?" "What's wrong with this guy?" "UGH! That's just gross!", etc.)

So nowadays I try not to leave any of my CDs out where she can see 'em cuz I don't need to hear her sarcastic commentary. Your significant other's musical tastes 19976

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 1:58 pm

My wife hates most of my music, and she loves the Eagles (who I hate), Jackson Browne, and lot of indie stuff, most of it not my cup of tea but she puts up with my crap so it is all good.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Years ago when we moved from our apartment to our new house my wife was helping me pack my CDs in a box and she had a comment for just about every one of 'em (i.e. "Ewww! What the hell is this?" "What's wrong with this guy?" "UGH! That's just gross!", etc.)

So nowadays I try not to leave any of my CDs out where she can see 'em cuz I don't need to hear her sarcastic commentary. Your significant other's musical tastes 19976

HAHAHA! Yea mine did the same thing too when she was helping me rearrange everything to go on my new shelf. I don't know how many times I had to hear "Do you really need all of these?"

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 2:25 pm

My wife pretty much listens to Top 40 poop and other than that has little to no interest in music. I recently purchased 4 tickets to an upcoming Katy Perry concert for her birthday for a "girls night out".

She tolerates my hard rock, but usually scoffs at the heavy metal. I get it. I don't blast Overkill, she doesn't blast Katy Perry.

The kids have a few cds that they like when riding in mommy's car. Laurie Berkner (sp?) is a favorite. However, when we're in daddy's car, it's rock n' roll. Nothing too extreme. Too young for that now. I don't want to burn them out by the time they're angsty, surrly teens. But some Beatles or classic Aerosmith will hopefully point them in the right direction.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 2:34 pm

My wife runs the gamut from Gordon Lightfoot to Duran Duran to White Lion to TSO. She likes old and new music and when she hears a new song she likes she will try and find out who it is if the radio doesn't tell her. Some of her favorite artists include:

Duran Duran
Collective Soul
Pink
Pink Floyd
Shinedown
Extreme
Trans-Siberian Orchestra (listens to it year round)

My son is 17 and a Metalhead...he mixes old and new in his favorites:

Iced Earth
HIM
Slipknot
Firehouse
Cinderella
Whitechapel
Disturbed
Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
Godsmack
Testament
Savatage

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

HAHAHA! Yea mine did the same thing too when she was helping me rearrange everything to go on my new shelf. I don't know how many times I had to hear "Do you really need all of these?"

when we moved last year she was chiding me over having to move 11 boxes of cds. She said I would have a lot easier time if I didnt have them all..

My wife is into Michael Card, Phil Keaggy, Newsboys, Third Day, jaci Velasquez and that type of stuff. She doesnt really listen all the much though with homeschooling two kids Smile

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 pm

women...they just dont understand

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 4:37 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

The kids have a few cds that they like when riding in mommy's car. Laurie Berkner (sp?) is a favorite. However, when we're in daddy's car, it's rock n' roll. Nothing too extreme. Too young for that now. I don't want to burn them out by the time they're angsty, surrly teens. But some Beatles or classic Aerosmith will hopefully point them in the right direction.

Nice!!!!!! My kids are exposed to metal!!!!! My 8 year old son loves the stuff, I took him to his first concert last year (KISS). Of course, he loves to hear Rock And Roll All Nite over and over. A few months ago, Cat Scratch Fever came on and he LOVED it. He then was wondering if he would get it from Scully (our cat) - LOL!!!! He also tries to my daughter worked up by singing his own lyrics to songs. When playing "When The Wild Wind Blows" was sing 'Have you heard what they said about Kendall (my daughter's name) today"

My daughter isn't into it as much, but she LOVES Tear Down The World by We Are The Fallen so I play that one often. Good thing I love it!!!!

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 4:44 pm

My wife likes metal, especially the melodic and/or gothic type. Like H.I.M. is her favourite band, for instance. Classic heavy metal goes down well, too. She just doesn't like the extreme stuff. Or glam, for that matter. I guess that comes from her love of grunge, especially Nirvana, which I really don't care much for.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 5:18 pm

My ol' lady is an "old school" country girl at heart. Does not care much for the current stuff besides a tune here and there. She likes 60's folk and most of the Haight/Ashbury bands and of course, prasie/worship stuff.

She tolerates my listening habits to an extent. I rarely get to listen to thrash if she is home.
Of course if she is, I have the option to play it at low volume but what fun is found in that ?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 5:32 pm

My wife is totally in the dark as to why I like metal, we've just agreed not to talk about it. When we're in the car together we usually will have some praise and worship music playing. Stuff like Hillsongs, Lincoln Brewster, Danny Chambers, or Darryl Evans. My 5-year-old and I like to sing along with it and I'm happy to get her started singing early. I save my metal stuff for when I'm home alone or in my truck at work, which is a lot because I drive about a thousand miles a week.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 6:01 pm

One of the things I liked most about my last serious girlfriend was how much music we had in common. Everything from The Ramones to Savatage to Steely Dan. Together we saw: Collective Soul, Drivin n Cryin, The Outlaws, The Rolling Stones, Marc Cohn, Jackyl, Damn Yankees, etc. We also went to some WWE live events and watched boxing, baseball and football together.

Too bad I let that one get away...

Nowadays, the cats don't much give a rip what I listen to as long as it's not industrial. Something about blasting those weird clanks, bleeps and loops sends them under the bed.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 6:13 pm

I sure am lucky!

My wife got to gab to and have Mustaine sign her copy of Megadeths greatest hits album, been to every Black Crowes, Yes, Dream Theater, Camel, Y&T, Porcupine Tree, Rush(my boys went to that one.... they love 'em), saw JP and Slayer when the played at Sleeptrain and whoever concert that I have been to since we've been together.

She really liked Sister Sin(we ended up buying their cd) when they opened for MSG and when she got tired ended up accidently sitting next to Scott Travis, but didn't want to bug him(she LOVES Racer X).

She likes pretty much what I do except when it comes to Electronic Music, Jazz that gets too weird or blues where its one guy with an acoustic guitar singing and stompin' on a piece of wood(my favorite kind).

Alice In Chains
Racer X
Megadeth
Benny Goodman and any other Big Band Jazz
Black Crowes
Steely Dan (she's an english teacher and loves their lyrics)

She likes metal unless the dogs start barking or cookie monster shows up.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 7:19 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Nowadays, the cats don't much give a rip what I listen to as long as it's not industrial. Something about blasting those weird clanks, bleeps and loops sends them under the bed.

Our old cat Lester (who went to Kitty Heaven three years ago) used to lay in front of the stereo speakers when I had music playin'. I guess the vibrations from the bass felt like a Kitty Massage. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 7:48 pm

my wife lived on a farm until the mid 80's so she rarely heard hard rock until the 80's. She only likes mid to late 80's pop, and she listens to the christian radio stations we have available. She doesnt like my 70's rock, cheesy 60's rock, or any thrash or heavy metal I play. But I cant live with that, at least she's not a poser or a wannabe.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Our old cat Lester (who went to Kitty Heaven three years ago) used to lay in front of the stereo speakers when I had music playin'. I guess the vibrations from the bass felt like a Kitty Massage. Your significant other's musical tastes 201269

Mine do that too until I pop in something like KMFDM or Ministry. It's hilarious; all of a sudden they'll jump up and run for the nearest cover.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 8:03 pm

BTW, I blame Rob Zombie for my cats' behavior.

Five minutes after I brought Tux home from a rescue group, I blasted AstroCreep 2000 and he ran for cover. Now, whenever I play anything remotely industrial, he bolts and Godiva just follows his lead.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:16 pm

My last bf was kind of a hipster, didn't like most heavy metal, really into indie rock. I guess that rubbed off, since now I'm really into it too.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:37 pm

tohostudios wrote:

the cats wouldnt be the only ones Smile

ahh.. It would be interesting to get a package and not have to sneak it into the house for fear of reprisals. Blaming toho only goes so far...

Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:43 pm

My significant other AKA my hand, likes the same music I do.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Stender wrote:
My significant other AKA my hand, likes the same music I do.

lol!

Sometimes that's the best significant other to have.

or a beer.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 10:56 am

My girlfriend already liked the Scorpions and Led Zeppelin before i met her but i turned her on to some of my bands like Trouble, Overkill, Flotsam & Jetsam, Crowbar, Nevermore and Coroner.

She was also into a few post-grunge bands like Bush, Godsmack and Cold...

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your significant other's musical tastes   Your significant other's musical tastes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your significant other's musical tastes
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next