Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?

Go down 
+11
Required Fields
GrandNational
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Smindas
ultmetal
mr.electric39
Hamer12
Shiney
mc666
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Empty
PostSubject: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 9:02 pm

Are there any bands that you like and you really don't know why? 80s metal and rock is the core of my tastes. I then dig on all its random variations from their out. I dig some rap, but generally rap that's unique, and not part of the norm. But I don't even find it odd that I like some rap, because I dig bands like Downset and Stuck Mojo and Rage Against The Machine.

It's band like The White Stripes and The Coral that baffle me. Haha. Admittedly, I don't own anything by The White Stripes, but I really dug every single I've heard. And people tell me I'd like the albums. So I could be wrong, mayBE I won't like them. But I LOVE The Coral. I'm not sure why. I don't get it.

SKELETON KEY
DREAMING OF YOU
BILL MCCAI
GOODBYE
SOMETHING INSIDE OF ME
DON'T THINK YOU'RE THE FIRST

I first heard "Skeleton Key" in England and was instantly reminded of The Dead Milkmen, one of my favorite bands growing up. But The Coral doesn't really sound like the Milkmen. I just find it odd that I could really dig a band like this. I can't get enough of them.

Anyone else like them? Got a similar story?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 9:58 pm

i don't listen to much anything else other than what i would call "hard guitar music". i call it that because it covers anything from death/black/grind/thrash to glam/grunge/punk/hard rock & anything in between. so i guess you might say i'm open minded in that realm, but closed minded to everything else.

my wife exposes me to alot of other genres, & artists that fall outside that definition, so i'm pretty tollerant. however, i would not listen to any of that for personal enjoyment. not as of yet anyway. nothing has appealed to me.

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 12:13 am

mc666 wrote:
i don't listen to much anything else other than what i would call "hard guitar music". i call it that because it covers anything from death/black/grind/thrash to glam/grunge/punk/hard rock & anything in between. so i guess you might say i'm open minded in that realm, but closed minded to everything else.

my wife exposes me to alot of other genres, & artists that fall outside that definition, so i'm pretty tollerant. however, i would not listen to any of that for personal enjoyment. not as of yet anyway. nothing has appealed to me.
I can understand that. I'm not into too many "out there" bands, but I definitely enjoy discovering bands outside my "normal" genres.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 5:12 pm

WOODBOX GANG
ARCADE FIRE
GNARLS BARKLEY
DEADSY

to name a few

Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 5:17 pm

Does Classical count? I dont mind putting some Mozart or Handel in the player once in a while. Bela Fleck, Stanley Clarke, The Yellowjackets, 2 Live Crew, I've even got a few ICP cd's that get a spin occasionally.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 5:33 pm

Outside metal, I sometimes listen to :

Queen
Billy Idol
The Ramones

but they still remain in the rock field...

I can also stand a few songs by The Police.

Musics I really don't like : rap, RnB, techno and all that electronic crap... sick

Ain't nothin' better than a loud and heavy guitar !!! 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 9:53 pm

My taste go everywhere all the time. I gnerally favor thrash and power metal the most, but I'm always grooving to bands like Counting Crows, Pink Floyd (My favorite of all time), Head Automatic, Modest Mouse (becoming one of my favorites) and even Casting Crowns. I even dabble in a little Celtic music and Celtic punk, a la Flogging Molly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 10:55 pm

Being a moody sod, I can enjoy most everything - other than nu-country,
99.9% of rap (always been a big Public Enemy fan), and most Pop (about
once a year, something will grab me). My roots lie in
hardcore/crossover/thrash, but I have a tattoo of Bob Marley (who was a
true punk in every sense of the word) on my arm, who is my real
inspiration.

I am also a huge Dead Milkmen fan. Saw them open for Mojo in '87
(?) and a couple tours later with the Mighty, Mighty Bosstones (another
great band) opening. My wife still sleeps in my old Big Lizard
t-shirt!
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 12:31 am

I dig movie soundtracks.... All the Lord of The Rings, Gladiator, I have a double disc of John Williams themes...

I like Enya, George Winston, a lot of 'new Age' type stuff....

a lot of stuff off the beaten path.... Keb' Mo.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 1:50 am

mr.electric39 wrote:
I dig movie soundtracks.... All the Lord of The Rings, Gladiator, I have a double disc of John Williams themes...

I like Enya, George Winston, a lot of 'new Age' type stuff....

a lot of stuff off the beaten path.... Keb' Mo.....
I dig any movie soundtrack with Lisa Gerrard on it! The Gladiator soundtrack is awesome.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 9:06 am

Outside my tastes. I like some old rap...Public Enemy, Run DMC, S.F.C. are some I still pull out on occasion.

Keith Green is WAY outside my usual tastes, but there is just something about his music and lyrics I really dig.

Phil Collins solo material is a bit outside my tastes as well, but I like a lot of it. I guess being a big Genesis fan from way back, his material just spills over into that. Same with Peter Gabriel.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 9:39 am

Parksey wrote:
My taste go everywhere all the time. I gnerally favor thrash and power metal the most, but I'm always grooving to bands like Counting Crows, Pink Floyd (My favorite of all time), Head Automatic, Modest Mouse (becoming one of my favorites) and even Casting Crowns. I even dabble in a little Celtic music and Celtic punk, a la Flogging Molly.

I'm pretty similar to Parksey. I abuse the Floyd constantly, and I also dig Flogging Molly. But I mean, I'll listen to anything really. I'm quite keen on classical and recently have been enlightened to jazz fusion. Pretty much most music is good.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 2:52 pm

I'm a fan of swing music. Big Bad VooDoo Daddy, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Louie Prima, that sort of stuff. And growing up in an Italian household, I have to listen to Sinatra (it's some kind of law I think Very Happy ) and Dean Martin from time to time.

As far as country music, it pretty much begins and ends with Johnny Cash.

Everything else in my collection would fall into the "guitar-based music" aka rock, rockabilly, blues and of course METAL 🤘
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 3:18 pm

I own one Weird Al Yankovic CD (his classic "Dare To Be Stupid"), the soundtrack to "The Rocky Horror Picture Show," and two CDs of musical numbers from "The Simpsons"... everything else is either metal, hard rock, or punk. It's not that I dislike other genres, I just don't go out of my way to own CDs from them. (There are already more than enough metal CDs on my want list, so I reallly don't NEED to start adding other genres and making that list longer than it already is!) My wife has a mish-mosh of CDs that range from country to oldies to classic rock to reggae (!) so I hear plenty of non-metal stuff without having to buy any of it for my own collection.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2007 2:59 am

I have a ton of blues albums from the 50's and 60's by Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, James Cotton, etc., although I guess I love these just as much as I love my metal albums, so this wouldn't apply, but I do have a couple of Enya CD's hidden somewhere, so I guess that counts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2007 10:41 pm

Own every Genesis album...Bryan Adams, own all of that, jack...Loverboy is a guilty pleasure, natch.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2007 11:47 pm

About 95% of what I own is metal. It's not that I don't listen to other forms of music, it's just that there's too much quality metal out there, I guess.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 7:10 am

I've always liked the Beach Boys and 50's rock (you know,usually the background music on Happy Days)
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 5:55 pm

A couple of years ago I really got way off into 70's pomprock, stuff like Prism and Loverboy and Magnum and even Styx (hence the T- shirt). As I used to hate all this stuff back in the day, sick I was really baffled by having a weakness for it all of a sudden. It kind of crept up on me through certain songs by bands I've always liked, such as Queen, Angel, Cheap Trick, etc, but all of a sudden I was hooked on whole bunch of obscure and not at all metallic bands, and I didn't know why. (Morningstar, American Tears, Touch, Shooting Star). scratch
I finally realized that it was a mid-life crisis that was causing it. I was having post divorce nostalgia for cruising around in my old GTO while my 70's girlfriend listened to this stuff while I tolerated it. But until I figured out what was going on with me I was shocked and dismayed by the whole phenomenon. affraid A very shameful experience for a metal guy to go through, but I'm ok with it now. At least I didn't lose my taste for metal.
🤘
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 6:14 am

nowadays i listen mainly to rock and metal as the chart music in the uk is either indie rock or r and b for all the chavs and both of those suck or else it is one hit wonders

but strangly i have a penchant for eighties pop music which is better than modern pop music
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 11:33 am

I shoudl admit, I picked up a Chris Isaak cd yesterday...
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 11:46 am

I'm also a 95% metal guy - but I have weaknesses for:

The Cranberries - My favorite modern/alt rock band

Bob Marley - Reggae/Dub/Calypso in general. I got into Marley when I lived in Africa and Dub and Calypso via my wife who is from Barbados. Well done Reggae/Dub/Calypso is infectious!

The Jackson 5 and Mike's better earlier stuff (CD 1 from History pretty much)
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 11:51 am

Quote :
but strangly i have a penchant for eighties pop music which is better than modern pop music

Not so strange....80's pop music slays most of what's come in the last 10-15 years in my opinion...
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 5:52 am

i meant it strange that i like both rock and metal and eighties pop
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 8:56 pm

I like both Jewel and Sara Evans ( not just cause they're super hot but they are both very talented. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?   Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Way Outside Your Realm Of General Tastes?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next