Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How have your tastes changed?

Go down 
+25
sovdat
SAHB Healer
candlemass
rattpoison
sam
EvyMetal
mc666
SideShowDisaSter
the sentinel
Stender
DallasBlack
Troublezone
exact33
scottmitchell74
MetalRob331
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
krokus
tohostudios
iamrockerfun
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
nevermore
kmorg
Tall Tyrion
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

How have your tastes changed? Empty
PostSubject: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:16 pm

As you've gotten older have you mellowed in your music tastes, stayed about the same, or gotten heavier?
I started as a NWOBHM and hair metal fan, moved into some extreme death, grind (ala Suffocation) and thrash. Now I can listen to almost any style of metal.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:20 pm

I've definitely broadened my horizons. As I get older, I find myself
gravitating more towards heavier stuff (although that may be because
metal in general is also gettingt heavier on average), but I also am
appreciating other things that would have bored me when I was younger,
such as ambient and the country blues. I am on a big country blues kick
right now as a matter of fact.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:22 pm

I am going through phases. But for the most I like what I like, and that stays the same.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:25 pm

I have gravitated towards a lot more heavier music. And I'm more open-minded than I used to be.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:27 pm

I like a wide range of stuff (including, but not limited to, old school thrash, NWOBHM, traditional metal, vintage punk, hair metal/hard rock, power metal, and tiny pinches of death metal and grunge) but never went whole hog for the "extreme" stuff (I prefer singers over growlers) and still don't care for it to this day.

So I guess in that regard I'm still the same stubborn old pr*ck I've always been.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:43 pm

I have definatley broadened my tastes. In my youth, most of the metal I listened to was of the hair/glam variety, with some of the classic stuff thrown in. The only "heavy" music I listened to was the "Big 4 of Thrash". As I matured, the music got heavier and the glam/hair stuff took a backseat, but I've also opened up to "proggier" stuff like Dream Theater or Pink Floyd that I never would have listened to back in art school.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 2:50 pm

I know people who, as they get older, listen to new stuff and forget about the old stuff they use to listen to. For me, I still love the stuff I did as a kid and teen, but have just added a whole lot more.

I've also met people who started listening to other genres and totally forgot about the old rock and metal stuff they use to listen to, only to re-discover it 10, 20 years later. I think that must be cool.

I'm not as much into death metal as I once was. That is one genre I grew bored with. I still like a lot of the older albums, but newer bands just don't seem to do if for me. It's actually the vocals I have a hard time with. The seem mostly monotone and without charisma. The bands could all share the same vocalist and no one would be the wiser.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 2:51 pm

very short time in 90s i was listening Black & Death Metal ... what a crap. i'm only old schooler. sometimes get a new waves but probably never change the taste of old school. cos old school still kickin ass.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 2:55 pm

My tastes have definitely broadened as I've gotten older. I'm much more open to non-hard rock music than I used to be. I'm like Freddy though in that I never did get into extreme music; I hate growling and screaming.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 3:35 pm

Before i could not listen to a band like RUSH or THIN LIZZY(i though they were boring) but now i like them very much. Still i love my black/death/thrash and i think i will always do.
I have always been a open minded guy if we talk about music of our movement. Some friends only listen to thrash metal, some others only to hard rock or aor, but i listen to everything thats a part of our metal movement, from HEAVY ROCK, SLEAZY/GLAM METAL till BLACK METAL and from PUNK METAL, NS METAL, DEATH METAL till WHITE METAL. From NWOBHM till South american violent and primative thrash/black metal and from SPEED METAL till HARD ROCK.
But dont talk to me about bands outside our movement because i will tell you to f.uc.k off.
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 3:43 pm

I can honestly say that my tastes in metal have grown less typical and more eclectic as I've gotten older.

I've loved metal since I first started listening to music, and I started off with various hair bands. As I got older I became more and more attracted to the more underground forms of metal. It was difficult though, because I had to rethink my entire concept of melody and rythm (the first death metal album I owned was Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness". That made me change my views REAL freakin' quick). I eventually started to listen to power metal (keyboards are king!), black metal (Scccccrreeeeeccchhh!) and the aformentioned death metal (Raaaaaawwwwwrrrrr!).

Also, as I got older I became drawn to conceptual bands, especially bands in the metal genre. I also love story songs in heavy metal. That's one of the attractions I had to power metal (and some black metal).
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 3:52 pm

I am a lot more picky now then i used to be. I mostly listen to Power, Prog, Traditional, and Melodic metal. I like a lot of modern rock and alt rock bands as well.. I used to listen to some extreme metal but that all sounds the same to me..
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 6:03 pm

Quote :
As you've gotten older have you mellowed in your music tastes, stayed about the same, or gotten heavier?
I
started as a NWOBHM and hair metal fan, moved into some extreme death,
grind (ala Suffocation) and thrash. Now I can listen to almost any
style of metal.

Good question......

My OVERALL musical focus had sharply narrowed to include mostly just
metal in one form or the other. But within metal itself I'm more broad
now than 10-15-19 years ago.....

The Thrash revival and the revival of sorts of some GREAT Christian Death Metal has brought me back to the brutally heavy stuff.

I'm picky about my Thrash and Death metal, but I've noticed some really good stuff the last few years.

I completely missed the hair metal/sleaze thing in the 80's - with a few exceptions like Bride, Whitecross and G n R. But now I've gotten into that stuff pretty heavy.

I've come to adore Euro Powermetal, so called American Powermetal, melodic metal and to re-adore classic metal (most of which was called Powermetal!????!!).

About 10 years or so ago my interest in hardcore and punk died off. It's never come back.

Last edited by scottmitchell74 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 6:15 pm

Yeah...I started by listening to The Beatles and now I'm a metalhead. I still listen to the Beatles and cool things like that.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 6:40 pm

My tastes have changed a lot. For me it was always and nothing but Christian death/thrash. Wouldnt even listen to it if it wasnt in that genre. Now today I listen to mostly power and prog and have been branching out into psyc rock/krautrock lately... I still like classic rock a lot though too Smile

I dont really miss the death/black stuff anymore. It is ok from bands like ensiferum etc but the majority kinda bores me.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 6:48 pm

I don't like that much death metal like i used to. Other than that i'm still the same.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 6:50 pm

At one point for me it was fast and brutal. Thrash and death (mostly death) was the main music genre that I was into. But over the years I've grown bored of fast and brutal, I am much more into melodic styles over extreme (i.e. power, progressive, classic, speed, gothic, progressive, and the like). While I will listen to fast and brutal occasionally, it is only with bands that stand out (i.e. no Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, and the pletora of copycats).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 8:07 pm

I started with powermetal and 80's hard rock and slowly became interested into death metal and thrash. right now I'm going through this massive thrash venture which has also broadened my interests in hardcore and punk (the core stuff not pop punk Hawk nelson garbage). Even though power metal is what started it all I dont really listen as much as I used to.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:44 pm

I have pretty much stayed the same as far as styles of metal, but I have become more tolerant to other styles. For example, I am not a huge fan of either Slayer or Winger (to very opposite ends of the spectrum) but I would never judge and condemn a person for telling me that one of those groups is their favorite. I think, if anything, I have become more appreciative of sixties and seventies metal and have purchased and played more of it the last 5-7 years. I have gotten into some newer bands like As I Lay Dying, Hatebreed, and Killswitch Engage and some older bands like Krokus, Accept, Lion, and TNT that I was never all that familiar with because I stuck with my mainstays of Priest, Maiden, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Whitesnake, Dokken, Vanhalen.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4602

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 11:02 pm

My tastes have actually narrowed as the years have passed. I've tried most genres of music outside of metal, but got bored with all of them very quickly. I have run through most sub-genres of metal, only to get no real lasting impression from most. I have also lost most of my interest in death metal (was REALLY big into for a few years). I listen to thrash mostly, and a good bit of plain ol' heavy metal, with a smattering of death metal, and some power metal here and there (the ballsy stuff, not the flowery crap that has grown like some vile fungus).

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 11:09 pm

I'll answer this question this way.

Tonight I have been watching music DVDs and here is what has been played so far.

1. Rainbow - Live In Munich 1977
2. Whitesnake - Live In The Still of the Night
3. Dissection - Rebirth of Dissection
4. Garth Brooks - This is Garth Brooks

Take what you will from that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 11:19 pm

i'm almost 35 and my list of favorites is almost the same from when i was 20-22
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 12:17 am

mine haven't changed really.

EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 3:11 am

I'm still a youngin' according to some of you folki, but in Middle School I was wa into punk. All punk for that matter. And then I kind of travelled outta that phase although I still listen to some of it sometimes. Then when Metal became a big part of my musical interest, I first started with the basics, Thrash & pure Heavy Metal. NOW, I can't get enough Prog and Power. I still listen to a lot of different genre's though.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 7:44 am

for a taste of what my latest haul will be once I order:

Quantum Fantay - Ugisiunsi
Quantum Fantay - Agapanthusterra
St Mikael - Mind of Fire
Hidria Spacefolk - Symbiosis
Hidria Spacefolk - Balansia

Never would have even given them the time of day at the beginning of 2007....

Alex

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How have your tastes changed?   How have your tastes changed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How have your tastes changed?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next