Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My tastes have wimped out...

Go down 
+29
bass63
Eyesore
Shawn Of Fire
EmoElmo
BearOnUnicycle
krokus
jstate
tohostudios
bgsully
Lari
Sword Of The Heretic
manny
Wurthless
Dark Horseman
exact33
chewie
Lurideath
MetalRob331
MetallicSeminarian
Short-Fuse
Orion Crystal Ice
stepcousin
mc666
journeyman
Boris2008
corplhicks
80s Metal Lady
James B.
Alex Dee Rokket
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

My tastes have wimped out... Empty
PostSubject: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 10:44 pm

I can't listen to death and black metal much anymore. There are a few bands I like from way back in the day , and they're still enjoyable to listen to from time to time...

There was a time when this music made sense to me - it was heavy, it was aggressive ... br00tal and it fed into my bent up teen angst but that feeling is now gone. I can't help it - I feel more drawn towards music that breathes, that has melody, emotion, the right balance of edginess and softness... music that has clarity and puts me in a right place of mind.

I love heavy metal , all the classics and all the melodic bands. I won't ever let go of those because they always feature in my playlists but the really heavy stuff just gives me a splitting migraine these days. It gives me an anxious, unsettling feeling listening to that sort of stuff these days. Not sure what brought about this change but I can't stand listening to some dude growling about perverse vile stuff or some black metal band rasping in my ears - I just feel like saying just take some damn strepsils already!

Anyway my top 10 - 20 bands remain unchanged:

1. Iron Maiden
2. Saxon
3. Thin Lizzy
4. KISS
5. Queen
6. Judas Priest
7. Running Wild
8. Black Sabbath
9. Megadeth
10. Rainbow
11. Led Zeppelin
12. RATT
13. Dokken
14. Accept
15. Overkill
16. Sepultura
17. Molly Hatchet
18. Twisted Sister
19. Van Halen
20. Testament
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 10:51 pm

The music I listened to at age 15 is different from age 25 which changed again by the time I was 35 and continues to evolve to this day.  However, there have been times when I've stopped listening to something for 20 years or more and then all of a sudden come back to it.  

Your moods change, as it does you sometimes need to vary what you're listening to.

Listen to whatever makes you feel good, it's as simple as that.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 11:09 pm

Come to my house sometime:lmao: 

Praise/Worship to Thrash to Blues to Glam to Motown to Hippie music all in the same day

Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 11:39 pm

I could never listen to that kind of music. I remember buying a cassette of Napalm Death because I was doing an A-Z metal compilation cassette and needed an 'N'. I didn't know who they were. I listened to them on my walkman and I felt physically ill right down to my facial bones. I remember thinking, if there was a hell, this was what it would sound like, LOL. I found a CD by Nuclear Assault, and they were more up my alley and became my 'N' band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 11:40 pm

My "N" band would be Nektar.

Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:23 am

80s Metal Lady wrote:
I could never listen to that kind of music.  I remember buying a cassette of Napalm Death because I was doing an A-Z metal compilation cassette and needed an 'N'. I didn't know who they were. I listened to them on my walkman and I felt physically ill right down to my facial bones.  I remember thinking, if there was a hell, this was what it would sound like, LOL. I found a CD by Nuclear Assault, and they were more up my alley and became my 'N' band.
There was a time when I worshipped bands like Morbid Angel, Pestilence, Obituary and the like but frankly, and I don't know whether this is age or just a newly gained perspective on life, I cannot surround myself with those demonic sounds and all the hatred spewed. Musically that sound now makes me physically ill and mentally it depresses me so much.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:37 am

Thrash is about as far as I go sometimes, which in my mind is still pretty extreme (I hear laughter from the audience).
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:38 am

My tastes have wimped out... 838ed210

I demand that you go and jam some Carcass and Morbid Angel right now!!! angry 

(Just kidding, I spend half of my time listening to stuff like this)

I just think that as you get older you experience emotions other than blind rage and hornyness (in fact, you realise that hornyness is not an actual emotion! Laughing very hard )) I too have absolutely no interest in listening to songs about regurgitated guts etc...
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 1:12 am

My tastes have changed from my youth, yet I still revisit some of it from time to time. All music is good, it's a matter of appreciation, really. I have found that lately, I become drawn to a band and go on a listening tangent and listen to that one band for days at a time and move on to the next as if I just had to satisfy a craving or something. I haven't used play lists for months now and that is a change for me. No explaining the how's or why's, but that has become my new norm.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 2:27 am

Sounds like everyone else at this forum...congratulations!

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 2:42 am

mc666 wrote:
Laughing very hard 

Awesome.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 7:07 am

the last 3 years or so I've gotten back into vinyl again, mainly 60's, 70's and 80's rock and heavy metal, but lately I can't stop listening to thrash. I don't listen to death metal or black metal anymore, but I will always love thrash. So lately I've been un-wimping out, but I'm sure I'll go through some phase in the near future for CSN&Y or Johnny Cash or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 9:10 am

I love thrash, there is always room for more thrash metal in my collection be it from the 80s or the retro wave. Thrash is about as extreme as I can have my music - it has the right speed and aggression for it to be enjoyable to me.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 9:13 am

mc666 wrote:
negative, sir Twisted Evil 

Give me:

power
heavy
progressive
prog
thrash
speed
black
doom
death
drone
even some 'core

I want it allllllll
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 9:24 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
mc666 wrote:
negative, sir Twisted Evil 

Give me:

power
heavy
progressive
prog
thrash
speed
black
doom
death
drone
even some 'core

I want it allllllll
Respect.

I guess I should amend my statement to the majority of the forum.

Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 9:38 am

I enjoy the heavier bands on occasion-but they have to be really talented-Nile and Immortal would be my favorite death metal and black metal bands respectively .I listen to everything from Huey Lewis and the Reverend Horton Heat to Pat Benetar and Hall & Oates. When you get older I think your tastes expand, and the old stuff gets a little stale sometimes. I even enjoy conscious rap on occasion .My favorite genres of metal are stoner, thrash, doom, power and the occasional hair band. Iactually enjoy death metal now then when it first came out-bands like Opeth and At the Gates really helped me to enjoy some death-that stuff like early Carcass is down right unlistenable, same thing with Napalm Death.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 11:46 am

I like some extreme metal when I'm in the mood for it. I typically get my fill of it pretty quick and don't revisit it for a few weeks. Except for thrash. I'm almost always in the mood for thrash.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:12 pm

If it sounds good I will listen, no matter what the genre.  I think we all go through those stages when we are younger and just starting out with metal to find those crazy heavy bands.  I know when I seen the cover of Cannibal Corpse - Vile.. I HAD TO HAVE IT!!  I put the album in and I thought WHAT IS THIS!!!!!!

I then went on to buy bands such as Deicide, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Unleashed (who I still love) and then stumbled upon Six Feet Under who I still really enjoy..

Last edited by MetalRob331 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Everyone's tastes change over time in music and audible senses. I will always like the old school sounds and bands in death metal. I have a real hard time listening to the herber skerber bands though as they do all sound the same. the old school does breathe and show emotion and other stuff. I for one have a VERY hard time listening to the new wave of thrash because its all been done and nothing new really. Its just me though I guess.

I bet if you heard some of the death metal I have been jamming out to, you'd still like it, at least somewhat anyway.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Until you find yourself drinking cocktails and listening to exotica/space age pop music, I think that you are still ok.

......oh........ wait............ hmmmm............
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 3:11 pm

my tastes have changed through the years. I now listen to everything from rock, metal, glam, death metal, kraut/space rock, a little doom, thrash, jazz, blues, prog metal and rock, swing, 80s pop, southern rock, big band, classical, and country if its Johnny Cash.

I enjoy it all and I don't think my tastes have wimped out - its just what I enjoy and its fine.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 3:32 pm

My other favorite genres are Jazz and Easy Listening (70's/80's Soft Rock to be specific). Sometimes I can't take the loudness of metal and I prefer something calm and relaxing, even if it's Pink Floyd.

Saaaaaailing....takes me awaaaaaay...to where I've always heard...it...could...be.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Give it a break and i'm guessing you'll appreciate some of the heavier stuff again. It's never my main diet but some Extol, Bolt Thrower or Feast Eternal get played now and again.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 8:15 pm

I've been listening to music for a lot less time than the majority of you (6 or 7 years now, at the quantity I'm currently consuming), and I've already went through quite a few taste-evolutions. Extreme metal has its place, but I like to have more variety in my listening habits. I've found out, over the course of the past two or three years specifically, that there's great music in literally any genre you choose to seek out.
The band that made me realize that being heavy isn't the only qualification needed for good music was Yes, and after I got into them, I sought out all kinds of progressive rock, jazz-fusion, heavy psych, and experimental music; and surprisingly exploring those types of genres opened me up to more extreme music than I was into before (prog death, avant-garde metal, black metal, etc).

So I suppose the point of this rant was to further explain the fact that tastes are prolific and will change with you as you change as a person.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 3:01 pm

My taste have expanded beyond my love of metal/classic hard rock, punk and hardcore, but I still love a good death metal CD now and again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My tastes have wimped out...   My tastes have wimped out... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My tastes have wimped out...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next