Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!

Go down 
+45
Motorsud
firestarter
scottmitchell74
TH Joe
metalinmyveins
allthingsmetal
A Handful of Wayne
skullkrusher
Certif1ed
Gilbert
Leatherface
MoonChild
Ricky
QuothTheRaven
Joe
tohostudios
DallasBlack
stepcousin
Getizzyback
Ben Grimm
Troublezone
bassman
Alex Dee Rokket
adrian
DeathCult
iamrockerfun
Temple of Blood
chewie
thejokeriv
mlotek
metalken
MetalGuy71
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Olafsto
nevermore
mc666
Fat Freddy
manny
Thrasher73
Metal Misfit
JBall_Z
Sinistar
ultmetal
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Choose! The Heavy Metal Crown 1983
Accept - Balls To The Wall
1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
Black Sabbath - Born Again
1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 4 ]
Def Leppard - Pyromania
1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 4 ]
Dio - Holy Diver
1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 18% [ 12 ]
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 11 ]
KISS - Lick It Up
1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
Krokus - Headhunter
 1% [ 1 ]
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 3 ]
Metallica - Kill ''''Em All
1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 22% [ 15 ]
Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil
1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 5 ]
Motorhead - Another Perfect Day
1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the Moon
1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 3 ]
Quiet Riot - Metal Health
 4% [ 3 ]
Slayer - Show No Mercy
 6% [ 4 ]
Savatage - Sirens
 1% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 68

AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 2:55 pm

mlotek wrote:

Also missing is
EXCITER - Heavy Metal Maniac

Crap! I knew I would miss something important!

Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:03 pm

Are you going to add Raven....or should I just vote on what you have.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:15 pm

What a year for Metal!!!!!!! Very, very hard to pick. To me, it came down to Kill 'Em All (game changer), Melissa or Pyromania (game change in terms of the sheer number of albums a Metal band could sell and played the heck out of it ).

But, in the end I had to pick my fav Maiden album (and desert island disc), Piece Of Mind. This was a HUGE game changer for Maiden. With Nicko now behind the kit, this one added progressive elements and added so much more to what they could bring to the table. No offense to Clive, who is a FANTASTIC metal drummer, but Nicko's ability added another dimension to the band.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Sinistar wrote:
Are you going to add Raven....or should I just vote on what you have.

I can't add Raven to the voting. I can only have 15 items and I can't really delete anything from the poll to add them. They are part of the original list, just not part of the poll.

Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:24 pm

I thought you may not have been able to add anything.

Ok, then...

Although I am not a fan today....

KILL 'EM ALL gets the vote.

Changed the genre, as well as how I listened to metal. (along with Killing is My business)

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Man everyone of those choices are fantastic ! Very hard to choose. Kill Em All is very important to the overall picture, Iron Maiden was at the top of their game,Quiet Riot and Def Leppard got everyone buzzing about metal,it just goes on. As a huge KISS fan,I'm leaning towards the awesome Lick It Up. That was a great release and was the middle of fantastic trio of cds from the guys.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Damn that's a hard one! I bought and loved all these ones when they came out that year.

Def Leppard - Pyromania
Dio - Holy Diver
Krokus - Headhunter

I didn't get into Metallica until I heard Kill 'Em All right around when Ride The Lightning came out.

I went with Dio. I voted for what I played the most back then not what was good in hindsight, kinda like what James B. did.

Last edited by chewie on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I didn't even have to look at the other choices... I just went straight to Metallica's KILL'EM ALL. Nothin' against the other bands/albums on the list (and I do own/love a lot of them now that I've looked) but it was really no contest. KILL'EM ALL was a game changer.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:57 pm

i voted for QR. the one and only metal lp every reach the top 1 in 80s
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:59 pm

I remember this year well. It was when chicks started liking metal.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 4:15 pm

manny wrote:
I voted for Black Sabbath, Ian Gillan and Iommi's riffs=heavy metal heaven

X2 headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 4:17 pm

iamrockerfun wrote:
i voted for QR. the one and only metal lp every reach the top 1 in 80s

Not the "only", but certainly the first...unless you count AC/DC For Those About To Rock...which went to #1 in 1981.

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 4:52 pm

No Exciter?!

Well that's what my vote would go towards, Heavy Metal Maniac is by far my favorite release from 1983

I also really like Steeler - Steeler.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 4:56 pm

1983 was the year I was born and it seems like no coincidence that I also went on to become a heavy metal maniac.

What a great year for metal - nay, great would be an understatement. It was a monumental year for metal and it has gone down in, at least, the history of heavy metal if not of music as being a year that would shape the popularity of heavy metal music for generations to come.

Everything up to this point had been a steady build up, from the scattered remains of early - mid 70s hard rock / metal gradually rose a giant of steel, a movement that would see its day of reckoning throughout 1983.

The albums on that list have all gone on to inspire so many. Whether it is Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil and Quiet Riot's Metal Health impact on the glam / popular metal scene, or Metallica's Kill Em All and Slayer's Show No Mercy on the thrash scene ... all the bands both the better known and the lesser known have shaped heavy metal music so profoundly that nearly 30 years on we still talk about all these bands as though they have just come onto the scene.

I was going to mention this in another thread but you know what it comes down to is not the immediate popularity of a band or an album - good as that may be - but what counts more is lasting power. The ability to transcend time and trends and be popular whenever and wherever - to have fans of all ages from those back in the day to those who have just discovered the band, and may not be old enough to remember anything from that period.

It is this timeless value that keeps heavy metal alive and the fact that all those albums are still being played by metalheads around the world is testament to that fact and to the growth of metal over the years.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 5:36 pm

I voted for Dio, with Slayer a close second. I know those aren't the most popular in terms of sheer numbers of fans, but in terms of the loyalty of fans they are difficult to beat.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 5:41 pm

I vote Kill 'em All.

It's the first "quality" thrash metal (album/production).

Nothin' against Slayer and Anthrax... but Metallica had a much stronger debut than the others at the time.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Holy Diver !!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 6:33 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
Hey , it looks like I'm the first one to cast a vote. I went with Motley Crue. It was the soundtrack of 1983.

Yea that's what I thought, man I wore it out.

Pyromania comes in 2nd for me.

This was about the time I was kinda getting a little tired
of AC/DC and was a little disappointed with Fly On The Wall
and Phil Rudd's departure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:06 pm

I looked through the list and tried to figure out which of those albums I *still* listen to on a semi-regular basis. That ended up being Born Again and Show No Mercy.

I voted Born Again. Runner-ups would be Show No Mercy, Another Perfect Day & Kill 'Em All.

Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
JBall_Z wrote:
Hey , it looks like I'm the first one to cast a vote. I went with Motley Crue. It was the soundtrack of 1983.

Yea that's what I thought, man I wore it out.

Pyromania comes in 2nd for me.

This was about the time I was kinda getting a little tired
of AC/DC and was a little disappointed with Fly On The Wall
and Phil Rudd's departure.

ah, you're jumping a bit. Phil Rudd was still on Flick of the Switch in 1983 Very Happy
(but I agree, Fly On The Wall (1985) was the start of what I considered them putting in filler material.)
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:31 pm

Accept - Balls to the Wall
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Dio - Holy Diver
Dokken - Breaking the Chains
Fastway - Fastway
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
KISS - Lick It Up
Krokus - Headhunter
Metallica - Kill 'Em All
Queensrÿche - Queensrÿche
Saxon - Power & the Glory
Y&T - Mean Streak

all of these were great, with bonus points going to Queensryche, Ozzy, Saxon, Krokus, and Dio.

But my pick has gotta be Kill "em All, closely followed by Piece Of Mind.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:40 pm

This time I have 9 of those releases and I voted for Maiden but it was a touch decision between this and Dio.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Here is how I rank them:

1. Metallica - Kill ''Em All
2. Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
3. Motley Crue - Shout At the Devil
4. Dio - Holy Diver
5. Slayer - Show No Mercy
6. Krokus - Headhunter
7. Raven - All For One (yes I know not on the list ... yet)
8. Def Leppard - Pyromania
9. Ozzy Osbourne - Bark At the Moon
10. Mercyful Fate - Melissa

Honorable mentions:

11. KISS - Lick It Up
12. Accept - Balls to the Wall (classic but I prefer Breaker and Restless & Wild)
13. Motorhead - Another Perfect Day (or another perfect Motorhead album - this actually happens to be my favorite Motorhead album if you believe it ... it's very different from the rest which is what makes it so special for me)
14. Quiet Riot - Metal Health (some very memorable tracks but not quite as consistent as Shout at the Devil - for glam metal album of the year)

15. Savatage - Sirens

16. Black Sabbath - Born Again (the worst black sabbath album imo - this wasn't at all a highlight of 1983 but it's part of the band's history. Some people love it - I don't)

Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 pm

stepcousin wrote:

Dokken - Breaking the Chains

Queensrÿche - Queensrÿche

Saxon - Power & the Glory

Yes those albums too - damn so much good stuff came out!

Power & The Glory is classic Saxon through and through. Just before their more commercial wave of albums this would prove to be the last of the 'classic' Saxon era. Very strong material on here.

Dokken's Breaking the Chains is an underrated gem. It's often overshadowed by other Dokken albums that came out in mid - late 80s but this is still a solid release. If anything it is the beginning of Dokken's style. A bit unrefined but the band showed what they could do with this release.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 8:06 pm

I voted Holy Diver.

IMO, Dio never topped that album.

PostSubject: Re: 1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!   1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1983 Heavy Metal TAKES OVER THE WORLD!
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next