Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS

Go down 
+39
Certif1ed
Dave the Boss
kmorg
Getizzyback
Troublezone
Garrison4JC
Gilbert
metalinmyveins
Vexer6
EvyMetal
Joe
mc666
metalken
adrian
Ben Grimm
stepcousin
bassman
DeathCult
DallasBlack
scottmitchell74
Olafsto
thejokeriv
nevermore
JBall_Z
MoonChild
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
chewie
MetalGuy71
Leatherface
Fat Freddy
Thrasher73
exact33
Sinistar
tohostudios
manny
krokus
ultmetal
43 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Choose! The Heavy Metal Crown 1981
Anvil - Hard ''''N'''' Heavy
1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_lcap0%1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_lcap17%1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_rcap
 17% [ 11 ]
Def Leppard - High ''''n'''' Dry
1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_lcap14%1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_rcap
 14% [ 9 ]
Iron Maiden - Killers
1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_lcap32%1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_rcap
 32% [ 20 ]
Judas Priest - Point of Entry
1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_lcap0%1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Krokus - Hardware
 0% [ 0 ]
Loudness - Birthday Eve
 0% [ 0 ]
Mötley Crüe - Too Fast for Love
1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_lcap6%1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_rcap
 6% [ 4 ]
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_lcap5%1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_rcap
 5% [ 3 ]
Riot - Fire Down Under
1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_lcap10%1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_rcap
 10% [ 6 ]
Raven - Rock Until You Drop
1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_lcap3%1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_rcap
 3% [ 2 ]
Saxon - Denim and Leather
1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_lcap6%1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Vote_rcap
 6% [ 4 ]
Tygers of Pan Tang - Spellbound
 0% [ 0 ]
Van Halen - Fair Warning
 0% [ 0 ]
Venom - Welcome to Hell
 6% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 63

AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Empty
PostSubject: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 am

The NWOBHM continues to grow in Europe, while many US bands, and some longtime European bands struggle with their identity. Kiss releases a prog-rock album, Queen records the soundtrack to "Flash Gordon", Alice Cooper begins to regain some sense of his sound after exploring new wave, Uli Roth leaves the Scorpions to form his own band Electric Sun.

Many new bands form this year including Anthrax, Metallica, Dark Angel, Slayer, Steeler, Motley Crue, Pantera, Loudness, etc. American and European music magazines finally awake to the fact that Heavy Metal is not only still alive but thriving.

Some of the biggest non-metal releases that year were Kings of the Wild Frontier- Adam and the Ants; Double Fantasy- John Lennon &Yoko Ono; Tattoo You - The Rolling Stones; Escape - Journey, 4 - Foreigner; Ghost in the Machine - The Police & Hi-Fidelity - REO Speedwagon.

AC/DC - For Those About to Rock We Salute You
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (finally released in the US in 1981)
Accept - Breaker
Alice Cooper - Special Forces
Anvil - Hard 'N' Heavy
Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
Blue Öyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin
Def Leppard - High 'n' Dry
Demon - Night of the Demon
Electric Sun - Fire Wind (Uli Roth solo)
Frank Marino - The Power of Rock 'n' Roll
Gillan - Future Shock
Gillan - Double Trouble
Girlschool - Hit and Run
Hanoi Rocks - Bangkok Shocks, Saigon Shakes, Hanoi Rocks
Helix - White Lace & Black Leather
Holocaust - The Nightcomers
Iron Maiden - Killers
Joe Perry Project - I've Got the Rock and Rolls Again
Judas Priest - Point of Entry
Kiss - Music from "The Elder"
Kix - Kix
Krokus - Hardware
Loudness - Birthday Eve
Motörhead - No Sleep 'til Hammersmith
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
Riot - Fire Down Under
The Rods - s/t
Rush - Moving Pictures
Sammy Hagar - Standing Hampton
Rainbow - Difficult to Cure
Raven - Rock Until You Drop
Samson - Shock Tactics
Ted Nugent - Intensities in 10 Cities
Thin Lizzy - Renegade
UFO - The Wild The Willing and the Innocent
Van Halen - Fair Warning
Venom - In League With Satan (their first 7" single)
Venom - Welcome to Hell
Whitesnake - Come an' Get It
Y&T - Earthshaker

Last edited by ultmetal on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:02 am

F.ucking hard. I go for SAXON:DENIM AND LEATHER.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:04 am

I voted for Iron Maiden 'Killers' but my vote could have easily gone to Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, and Van Halen.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:19 am

High N Dry. One of my alltime favorite albums.

Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:24 am

This is probably my FAVORITE year.

Venom - Welcome to Hell (I really love this record, I didn't hear it until 86 though....thought I was putting my moral soul in danger by doing so)

That is funny you say this, I did not hear this album til around 1984/85 and I felt the same way!!! I still love the album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:37 am

It was a toss up for me between Raven, Maiden and Motley Crue. Those albums consumed me in 1981. I voted for Raven...no real reason why. I could have voted for any of those. Saxon - Denim & Leather is another I could have voted for. It's a calling card for any metal fan from that era.

Lots of great albums that year again. Several that aren't in the poll are phenomenal. Gillan are a WAY underrated heavy metal band from the early 80's. Their music was dark and heavy with a cleverly sinister lyrical approach, and of course, the unmistakable vocals of Ian Gillan.

Anvil's Hard 'n' Heavy is a good record but I didn't discover them until the next album.

The second Joe Perry Project album is great too, though not quite up to the same level as the first album.

Tygers of Pan Tang - Spellbound is an out and out classic. I just wasn't really aware of them until a few years later.

Accept Breaker is the band finally discovering their sound. A classic in it's own right, though their next album would be THE ONE!

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:45 am

manny wrote:
I voted for Iron Maiden 'Killers' but my vote could have easily gone to Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, and Van Halen.

I went Killers too but Mob rules was in the running. This is one of my fav maiden albums.

Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 am

Something weird happend. Just about all the text I'd written for my above post has been lost. darn.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 am

I sort of figured Maiden would run away with this one. Why not? It's an amazing album! They blew Priest out of the water. Though I like Point of Entry, few fans would say it was their best, and most would say it was their weakest album to date.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:54 am

Went with the Crue. Great Debut,they were young and hungry.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:55 am

ultmetal wrote:
I sort of figured Maiden would run away with this one. Why not? It's an amazing album! They blew Priest out of the water. Though I like Point of Entry, few fans would say it was their best, and most would say it was their weakest album to date.

I think it is the strongest album of the year. The tracklisting became a veritable staple of songs that they play live even all this time later...

Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:56 am

I never even bothered buying point of entry.

Maiden passes Priest for the throne with this record.

I really believe Priest's trail blazing years were 76-79....and trailblaze they did. They went for more mainstream appeal in the 80s. which is alright....they paid their dues, and laid the groundwork for others.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:58 am

Killers for me too. What a great year though. All were fantastic releases making it for a difficult choice.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:00 am

Sinistar wrote:
Something weird happend. Just about all the text I'd written for my above post has been lost. darn.

That was my fault I was responding to your message when I got a load of work to do and I hit edit instead of quote my apologies bro. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:02 am

manny wrote:
Sinistar wrote:

That was my fault I was responding to your message when I got a load of work to do and I hit edit instead of quote my apologies bro. Embarassed

Thanks for letting me know.

Apology accepted.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:04 am

Gaaack! Man, this is tough. 1981 was the year I really started exploring the world of popular music (I was 11 years old at the time).

My sentimental favorite would have to be Judas Priest's POINT OF ENTRY (first Priest song I ever heard -- "Headin' out to the Highway" -- was off that album).

However, on sheer strength of the material, I'd have to give Def Leppard's HIGH N DRY my vote. That thing still sounds great today.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Gaaack! Man, this is tough. 1981 was the year I really started exploring the world of popular music (I was 11 years old at the time).

My sentimental favorite would have to be Judas Priest's POINT OF ENTRY (first Priest song I ever heard -- "Headin' out to the Highway" -- was off that album).

However, on sheer strength of the material, I'd have to give Def Leppard's HIGH N DRY my vote. That thing still sounds great today.
Did you forget to actually vote FF? Def Leppard still only has my one vote.
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:09 am

Condensed version of what I wrote...

Love many of those records.

Riot - Fire Down Under
Venom - Welcome to Hell

Saw KILLERS in a mall record store.....the cover scared me.....HAD to have it.

It was between

Raven and Maiden for me.....

Picked Maiden for the history, being that I didn't explore Raven until many years later, and KILLERS is my fav Maiden record by far.

Mob Rules is a runner up....bought that when it came out as well.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:09 am

tohostudios wrote:
Did you forget to actually vote FF? Def Leppard still only has my one vote.

Whoops. Now I done did.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:15 am

Sinistar wrote:

Probably my fav MC. This one really stands the test of time.

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:15 am

Went DL as a sentimental favorite but so many great ones. Still play that Riot a lot, Killers, D&L, man, almost all of them.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18952

Venom.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:23 am

exact33 wrote:
Sinistar wrote:

Probably my fav MC. This one really stands the test of time.

Yea, MC's best record. I like Shout....it's not on the same level with this one though.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:56 am

Riot was not a band I discovered til 'Born in America' album which was released in 1983/84, and this was when I first started getting into metal but it would not be til 1988/89 til I heard 'Fire Down Under'
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 11:17 am

Even though they deny their roots in Heavy metal, I still voted for Leppard's High n' Dry. I almost voted for Motley though. Love that album as well.

PostSubject: Re: 1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS   1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1981...THE HEAVY METAL EXPLOSION ERUPTS
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next