Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981

Go down 
+12
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
corplhicks
akeldama
MetallicSeminarian
Shawn Of Fire
Dark Horseman
James B.
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Fat Freddy
fingers
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Empty
PostSubject: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 6:35 am

Just want to know how long he lasted in metal Church back in 1981 was it just one audition or he played drums on some of the early demos?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 8:05 am

Metal Church's Wiki page only mentions a "brief audition period" with Ulrich in the band.

MC's first demo (Red Skies) came out in 1981 and Lars wasn't on it. By that time he's already started trying to get Metallica together.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 10:09 am

Did Lars go to Seattle or was MC in LA at that time?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 10:52 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Did Lars go to Seattle or was MC in LA at that time?

MC were originally Frisco based. They split up and Kurt Vanderhoof moved to Washington State where he set up shop again, still using the MC name with new players.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Lars was a terrible drummer when Metallica first popped up in El Lay, no wonder MC didn't pick him. Laughing very hard

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Was? Sad part is how big they got with his average at best playing while other, better players were left behind. That's the entertainment business I guess.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Lars is proof that it's not about your skill level, it's about what you do with what you have.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Lars is proof that it's not about your skill level, it's about what you do with what you have.

Exactly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 3:09 pm

As much as people bitch and complain about Lars you can't fault the guy for his business sense. I'd like to see everyone that complains about Lars have to compare their bank accounts to his.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 3:12 pm

Well, bitching is still free so it doesn't affect either his nor my bank accounts.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 3:47 pm

I must be an idiot when it comes to drumming. I had no idea Lars was ever considered a mediocre drummer.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39578

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 4:14 pm

I never realized Lars was considered mediocre either. And I don't have the ear to have ever caught it either.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Lars didn't start to sound mediocre to me until Bob Rock got his hands on him and started re-training him to play differently for their 90s albums.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 4:25 pm

S.D. wrote:
Lars didn't start to sound mediocre to me until Bob Rock got his hands on him and started re-training him to play differently for their 90s albums.  

I would agree with this by and large. I don't think he was ever jaw-dropping, but his playing on the first 4 is decent (especially AJFA).
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 4:50 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I would agree with this by and large. I don't think he was ever jaw-dropping, but his playing on the first 4 is decent (especially AJFA).

Lars used to win those "drummer of the year" awards in the press all the time back in the day...... The first whispers of "lars sucks on drums" started in the mid 90's, around the Load era.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 9:57 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Lars used to win those "drummer of the year" awards in the press all the time back in the day...... The first whispers of "lars sucks on drums" started in the mid 90's, around the Load era.

Yep! That was coincidentally around the time he started sucking on drums.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Yeah,he was a very good drummer back in the day.Especially AJFA.Anyone have any doubt just check out some live clips from that era.Im no Lars fanboy but he definitely had skills then.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 1:36 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Was? Sad part is how big they got with his average at best playing while other, better players were left behind. That's the entertainment business I guess.

He was terrible in the beginning era of Metallica.   (IMHDO) After seeing them a few times, the talent in the band was this red headed guitar player headbanger 

Lars actually improved and showed some talent.   (IMHDO) After major success, Lars quit practicing, perhaps maybe even caring and it showed in his playing

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 2:12 am

I still contend that Hetfield was VERY influenced by Mustaine's style but became successful on much of his own merit.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 3:16 am

Dark Horseman wrote:

His playing may have been average at best, but his drive and determination to make Metallica as big as they possibly could be was world class. They didn't become huge despite Lars, they became huge because of him. The guy had a spot on Slagels' record before he had a band!!!

If the more talented players wanted it as much as he did. Things might have gone better for them.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39578

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 10:45 pm

James B. wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

He was terrible in the beginning era of Metallica.   (IMHDO) After seeing them a few times, the talent in the band was this red headed guitar player headbanger 

Lars actually improved and showed some talent.   (IMHDO) After major success, Lars quit practicing, perhaps maybe even caring and it showed in his playing

In this area, I'd value your opinion. It takes a drummer to judge on another drummer. Drumming, to me, just was background noise to keep the beat. I never realized what really goes into (and I know there's more to it than just banging on the kit) so I'll go by what you're saying.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 10:50 pm

The fact that the newer material didn't demand much ("stripped down" is the buzzword) didn't help that decline at all.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 11:20 pm

007 wrote:
James B. wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

In this area, I'd value your opinion. It takes a drummer to judge on another drummer. Drumming, to me, just was background noise to keep the beat. I never realized what really goes into (and I know there's more to it than just banging on the kit) so I'll go by what you're saying.

This. As a guitarist, I enjoy nitpicking other well-known guitarists' work (relevant: Kirk Hammett is just not that great). Drumming is a different beast that I rarely complain about because I rarely hear anything wrong going on. Sometimes something will catch my ear (Nicko has that effect) but it's once in a blue moon, so all drummers to me are almost equal. Hearing it from another drummer is a different, and respectable, story.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 2:01 am

007 wrote:
James B. wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

I am the furthest thing from a musician, but the 5/4 time changes between Lars and Cliff on Master of Puppets was never done before. At least, I never heard anything like that before [or since, really]. One of the reasons I still sleep on a MoP pillow every night. I might just be shooting rainbows with that observation though.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 9:39 am

corplhicks wrote:
007 wrote:
James B. wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

This. As a guitarist, I enjoy nitpicking other well-known guitarists' work (relevant: Kirk Hammett is just not that great). Drumming is a different beast that I rarely complain about because I rarely hear anything wrong going on. Sometimes something will catch my ear (Nicko has that effect) but it's once in a blue moon, so all drummers to me are almost equal. Hearing it from another drummer is a different, and respectable, story.

Kirk is damn good at what he does and he doesn't get enough credit. He showed a huge leap in his talent on Ride The Lightning.. those lessons with Joe Satriani paid off big time. If you listen to him play you can hear the Uli Jon Roth influences all over his solos (especial Kirk Solo time live)

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
007 wrote:
James B. wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

I am the furthest thing from a musician, but the 5/4 time changes between Lars and Cliff on Master of Puppets was never done before.  At least, I never heard anything like that before [or since, really].  One of the reasons I still sleep on a MoP pillow every night.  I might just be shooting rainbows with that observation though.

Yep! Back before Lars got lazy (can't think of another way to put it).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981   Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lars Ulrich's role in Metal Church in 1981
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next