Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Halford - Made of Metal

Go down 
+24
iamrockerfun
MetalAndy
ultmetal
DallasBlack
mez
Ben Grimm
FlyingV
krokus
Metal Misfit
JBall_Z
A Handful of Wayne
Approval Guy
mc666
Dave the Boss
tohostudios
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
exact33
manny
Gilbert
Alex Dee Rokket
Eyesore
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:16 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:
It's not even really metal though. Just hard rock.

Mad

Are you mad that I said that or are you mad that it's hard rock? Razz
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 7:08 pm

The hard rock vs. heavy metal debate frustrates me. By some people's standards, heavy metal didn't exist until 1983 with Slayer and Metallica. In reality, heavy metal has been around since the 70's. Hard rock and heavy metal were and are interchangeable terms and always have been. It's not until the last decade that suddenly those under 30 seem to make the big distinction, "oh, it's not metal, it's just hard rock."

In fact, guys like Rob Halford define what heavy metal is. While some will argue that bands like Saxon, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, UFO, etc are "just hard rock", these were the guys that defined the genre in Europe. In the U.S. it was Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult, etc.

I've not heard every song on "Made of Metal", but the few I have heard sound like heavy metal to my ears.

Here is an excerpt from an Amazon review:
Quote :
Some people foolishly complain this is a hard rock album and not Metal. Umm I will trust Rob Halford's judgment on what is Metal. These people need to put down their Lamb of God and Trivium albums and get back to true Judas Priest style heavy metal. Made of Metal is a stunning and diverse collection of songs from the greatest singer in Metal.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 7:19 pm

don\'t know

It's not that serious to me. Call it what you want and I'll do the same. I like it regardless. headbanger
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 436688

It's not that serious to me. Call it what you want and I'll do the same. I like it regardless. Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 11840

We're good MM. It's just a frustration on my part. Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 11840

Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 8:23 pm

ultmetal wrote:
The hard rock vs. heavy metal debate frustrates me. By some people's standards, heavy metal didn't exist until 1983 with Slayer and Metallica. In reality, heavy metal has been around since the 70's. Hard rock and heavy metal were and are interchangeable terms and always have been. It's not until the last decade that suddenly those under 30 seem to make the big distinction, "oh, it's not metal, it's just hard rock."

In fact, guys like Rob Halford define what heavy metal is. While some will argue that bands like Saxon, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, UFO, etc are "just hard rock", these were the guys that defined the genre in Europe. In the U.S. it was Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult, etc.

I've not heard every song on "Made of Metal", but the few I have heard sound like heavy metal to my ears.

Here is an excerpt from an Amazon review:
Quote :
Some people foolishly complain this is a hard rock album and not Metal. Umm I will trust Rob Halford's judgment on what is Metal. These people need to put down their Lamb of God and Trivium albums and get back to true Judas Priest style heavy metal. Made of Metal is a stunning and diverse collection of songs from the greatest singer in Metal.

I'm right there with ya brother. I love this quote from Amazon... "Umm I will trust Rob Halford's judgement on what is Metal." Me too. Thank you very much. Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 604261
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 11:50 am

ultmetal wrote:
The hard rock vs. heavy metal debate frustrates me. By some people's standards, heavy metal didn't exist until 1983 with Slayer and Metallica.

Straw man alert!

I doubt anyone claims that BLACK SABBATH weren't playing metal music.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 1:03 pm

I've seen discussions where that's been said. Some think there wasn't metal until thrash.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 1:16 pm

I heard this yesterday and I agree that there are some great songs on here, but also a lot of filler too. I guess Rob decided not to scream anymore too which is a shame.

And No if you add keyboards to it, it does not make it power metal! It then becomes a metal album with keyboards. People thinking keyboards is power metal is lame!
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 8:23 pm

I gave it anothrer listen to it today and I really like the album, I could have used a few more Halford screams, but you know what I have many albums full of Halford screaming, and these songs are still good to me
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23273

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 8:39 pm

The attempt to define the difference between hard rock and metal is just an attempt for one side (the tr00 metal folks - whatever that means) to try and make others feel inferior.

Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 4:36 pm

There's clearly a difference between hard rock and metal. I won't go into that, but this new Halford is definitely Metal.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 5:26 pm

exact33 wrote:
The attempt to define the difference between hard rock and metal is just an attempt for one side (the tr00 metal folks - whatever that means) to try and make others feel inferior.

+10000000
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 5:43 pm

I think too, younger folks have a hard time thinking stuff like Deep Purple once helped define metal.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 5:58 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I think too, younger folks have a hard time thinking stuff like Deep Purple once helped define metal.

And some folks somehow think metal inherently has more integrity than hard rock music so they attempt to lump all the good hard rock music that they like as "metal" to give it more respectability.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:

And some folks somehow think metal inherently has more integrity than hard rock music so they attempt to lump all the good hard rock music that they like as "metal" to give it more respectability.

ToB I think it is the other way around, you mention metal to fans of just 'hard rock' they turn their noise up at it, call it hard rock and you get to go into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 10:17 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
The hard rock vs. heavy metal debate frustrates me. By some people's standards, heavy metal didn't exist until 1983 with Slayer and Metallica.
Straw man alert!

I doubt anyone claims that BLACK SABBATH weren't playing metal music.

Actually I have had people argue just that. QUOTE "Black Sabbath play blues inspired hard rock." UNQUOTE

If that's not enough for you, read my Hall of Shame and read another guy who thinks that metal started with Iron Maiden and Slayer.

Not a straw man argument at all. Apparently for you, and many others, think that Sabbath were the only heavy metal band in existence until the 1980's. As well, according to you, heavy metal didn't even exist in the U.S. at all until the 80's. History revisionism at it's finest.

TheNazgul wrote:

"Machine Head" was one of the defining heavy metal albums of the 70's.

Ever read the liner notes in the remastered version on Warner Bros.?
"Two out of three hard rock fans agree: heavy metal was born in March 1972 with the release of Deep Purple's Machine Head".

Last edited by ultmetal on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 10:48 pm

I think the album is great. There is a big mix on this album, and some really creative stuff. Like One Foot In the Grave is just a left hook for Halford and it is downright great. Other songs sound like something pulled from Turbo album and so forth. It is a great effort on Rob's part and worthy of every metalheads purchase!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 1:49 am

Got the album yesterday. Quite enjoyable actually. Nothing special though
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 9:18 am

Listening to it now! Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 11840

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 12:01 pm

I just got done listening to this for the 4th time last night. I really WANT to like it, but its just very run of the mill. Nothing special about this album at all.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I just got done listening to this for the 4th time last night. I really WANT to like it, but its just very run of the mill. Nothing special about this album at all.

Maybe that's how they cranked it out so fast.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 12:37 pm

Wow, I just don't get all the complaints about it being average or whatever. I think it's awesome. Maybe a bit more melodic and fluffy than I would have liked, but it'll probably be Top 5 of the year for me.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 10:53 am

I love this album no doubt! And if this ain't metal, than I don't know what the hell is.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 1:36 pm

It's only rock 'n' roll but I like it! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 1:48 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
It's only rock 'n' roll but I like it! Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 778825

Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 604261

PostSubject: Re: Halford - Made of Metal   Halford - Made of Metal - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halford - Made of Metal
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next