Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Riot: Thundersteel

Go down 
+12
Joe
Fat Freddy
Eyesore
Tall Tyrion
nevermore
Temple of Blood
manny
kmorg
krokus
Alex Dee Rokket
Gilbert
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

Riot: Thundersteel Empty
PostSubject: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 1:24 am

What's your opinion on this album?

I've been listening to it repeatedly for the last three days. Splendid speed metal platter. The best by far headbanger
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 1:30 am

For me this album is almost like the prequel to Judas Priest's Painkiller and to euro speed/power bands that would emerged in the 90s.

I don't think Mark Reale understood the effect this album would have in the long run. Perhaps I am alone in seeing it that way but at the time Thundersteel was released I don't think or at least I am not aware of any other albums that sounded similar, and had this speed/power anthemic feel all the way through.

I still think this album is Riot's best release. In fact this was the first Riot album I got (it was also the cheapest at the time). I didn't know what to expect but I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get into the earlier albums as much I guess because this album just raised my expectations so high. Of course I realise now that Thundersteel was more or less a one off for Reale, an experiment more than anything.

Don't hate me for it but as far as I am concerned, Riot might have as well released only Thundersteel because for me nothing released since or before has come to the epic greatness of this release.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 3:35 am

One of the best albums ever released.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 7:44 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
For me this album is almost like the prequel to Judas Priest's Painkiller and to euro speed/power bands that would emerged in the 90s.

I don't think Mark Reale understood the effect this album would have in the long run. Perhaps I am alone in seeing it that way but at the time Thundersteel was released I don't think or at least I am not aware of any other albums that sounded similar, and had this speed/power anthemic feel all the way through.

I still think this album is Riot's best release. In fact this was the first Riot album I got (it was also the cheapest at the time). I didn't know what to expect but I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get into the earlier albums as much I guess because this album just raised my expectations so high. Of course I realise now that Thundersteel was more or less a one off for Reale, an experiment more than anything.

Don't hate me for it but as far as I am concerned, Riot might have as well released only Thundersteel because for me nothing released since or before has come to the epic greatness of this release.

I echo his sentiments.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 9:15 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

Reading this gave me a sense of a deja vu, a while age I remember detuned telling me the same thing you just posted about 'Thundersteel' and'Painkiller', while I understand you are having a hard time getting into their older albums I do hope you go back to those early Riot albums at some point, alot of gems on those early classics
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 11:26 am

It's a great disc but nowhere near as aggressive as "Painkiller".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 11:44 am

I prefer Thundersteel to Painkiller by a large margin.

Songs like "Johnny's Back", "Bloodstreets", "Sign Of The Crimson Storm" and "Buried Alive" manage to strike a perfect balance between memorable melodies and kick ass jams. The vocalist could stand to lay off the helium now and again, but that's a small complaint.

Painkiller is a good album, but it really doesn't sound like Priest to me...the human metronome on drums derails it for me.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 1:30 pm

This album was amazing when it came out and has stood the test of time well. I love all eras of Riot.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 2:55 pm

Thundersteel is a great album. I need to dig this out and give it a spin.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Great album! I still prefer the Guy Speranza era, but they never had a bad album. Always solid.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Great album! I still prefer the Guy Speranza era, but they never had a bad album. Always solid.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 10:26 pm

Gilbert wrote:

What's your opinion on this album?

I've been listening to it repeatedly for the last three days. Splendid speed metal platter. The best by far headbanger
Great album, but ridiculously overrated.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 10:46 pm

It's the only Riot album I own.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39466

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 12:03 am

Thundersteel is great ! Overrated ? Nonsense ! An underrated band to be sure though.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 12:09 am

It's a great album, and since nobody has mentioned it yet, it has a cool album cover too!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 1:39 am

I definitely prefer the earlier Riot material, but Thundersteel sounded pretty fresh in 1988.

The Rhett Forrester era is underrated I think, especially if you've ever heard that live EP with Loanshark on it...that was the song that turned me into a Riot fanatic in the first place. I got Restless Breed first, then bought Fire Down Under as my second Riot album.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 1:05 am

The cover is amazing. I don't know why many people hate it.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 1:08 am

Classic album by a classic band. Riot needs more love from the world.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:37 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

You need to get Fire Down Under...

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:59 am

nevermore wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:

I agree.

me too.... He (Guy) was a great frontman onstage too (RIP) both Guy and Rhett

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:42 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

I'm one up on ya with on these guys. Thundersteel and Sons of Society are the only 2 I own. I prefer Thundersteel of the 2 though.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 1:10 pm

All I'm missing is Army of One. Riot: Thundersteel 395375
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Thundersteel is awesome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 1:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I'm one up on ya with on these guys. Thundersteel and Sons of Society are the only 2 I own. I prefer Thundersteel of the 2 though.

I used to have their THE PRIVILEGE OF POWER disc too (follow up to THUNDERSTEEL) and that one didn't do much for me so I ditched it.

detuned wrote:
You need to get Fire Down Under...

Peeps have been telling me that for years, but I've never gotten around to digging any deeper into their stuff....

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riot: Thundersteel   Riot: Thundersteel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riot: Thundersteel
Page 1 of 1