Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen recording a new album

Go down 
+18
Shawn Of Fire
Metal Misfit
Ben Grimm
exact33
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
onrypt
XYZ
Orion Crystal Ice
metallicleora
nevermore
iamrockerfun
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
stepcousin
ultmetal
manny
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 1:30 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
XYZ wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Room_care-787245

sorry, couldn't resist

Given the current discussions and the strong reactions that the news has brought about, I hardly see how the picture represents the current situation. Now, if this picture is suppose to represent the people that share your opinion on this subject, than perhaps it holds some truth.

I'm sorry, I understand now it's personal. Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 201269

But picture will remain until an album comes out and the air is clear of ego/drug/drink freak outs. Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_razz

No worries. The skepticism is understandable. Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 9:21 am

If Dave is singing, it will be good vocally at least. He has never had a slouch vocal performance [on tape] in his life. As far as the rest? We'll have to see how many creative/innovative braincells Eddie has left.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 am

I'm more than willing to give it a shot. Diamond Dave's last few solo albums weren't all that great and the less said about VHIII the better. But seeing them live on the reunion tour restored my faith in Dave's singing abilities. Eddie's still Eddie. He can play like no other human being.

As for the lack of Michael Anthony and his vocals, well, studio magic does wonders these days, so that's not too big of a concern for me.

The only downside to this would be Dave trying to come off as "sexy". His stage banter and personna on the last tour came off more like "creepy uncle" than "studly frontman". 50+ year old guys making sexual innuendoes is tough to watch.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
It couldn't possibly be worse than the Van Cherone album ... could it?

That I doubt!!!!! Hopefully it will be a kick-a$$ return to glory album, but then again it is 26 years after the release of 1984
Why? Same writers involved.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 11:54 am

The last two songs that Van Halen worked with David Lee Roth on, 'Me Wise Magic' and "Can't Get that Stuff' where two strong tracks, granted those two tracks where written and recorded back in 1996, but I am holding out hopes that if these tow 50 year old teenagers can keep their egos in check, they should be able to release a strong album.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 1:03 pm

Ill give it a listen. Count me in amongst the hordes of the curious...

Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 6:11 pm

I just don't care anymore I guess if Michael Anthony was actually in the band I would consider it a reunion of the classic line up, and I would check it out however this is not what this is so eeh, I wonder when the next Chickenfoot album will be out
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:51 am

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/van-halen-confirm-producer/

Quote :
Van Halen are now in the studio working on their new album.

Blabbermouth reports that the band are collaborating with producer Ross Hogarth, who’s previously worked with Motley Crue and Faster Pu$$ycat among others.

Although there are few details available, the line-up is David Lee Roth (vocals), Eddie Van Halen (guitar), Wolfgang Van Halen (bass) and Alex Van Halen (drums). It will be their first new studio album with Diamond Dave since 1984.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/150617

Quote :
According to Melodicrock.com, VAN HALEN will tour extensively in 2011, taking in North America, likely European dates and even some Australian dates, which local newspaper the Herald Sun stated Sunday that the band "...are very close to confirming an Oz visit next year." The line-up will remain as it was for the 2007 tour - guitarist Eddie Van Halen, drummer Alex Van Halen, bassist Wolfgang Van Halen and frontman David Lee Roth.

Numerous reports about new music coming from Van Halen are true. There is new music recorded with the expectation of an all-new studio album featuring David Lee Roth to be released in 2011.

Melodicrock.com says that Roth's vocals are being recorded away from the 5150 studio, with Eddie receiving various vocal tracks from the singer, but not always to the guitarist's satisfaction - it's work in progress between Eddie and Dave.

There is a deal in place between Warner Bros. and the band for a new album (as announced a few months back). There is a genuine fear from the label that the album may now not be ready before tour commitments begin. The album was definitely expected to be released in early 2011, but there has been so much going back and forth and re-arranging, so if the recordings are not turned in by early 2011, the label have developed a contingency plan. That is preparing re-masters of the SAMMY HAGAR-era catalogue, as well as preparing Blue-Ray releases of Live Without A Net and Live Right Here Right Now.

Additionally, they are preparing limited edition vinyl releases, which have just appeared on the Rhino/Warner schedule. 1984, Women And Children First and Van Halen II will be released on LP December 13.

And finally, the band apparently tested a few different producers, but the man at the helm for this album is one Ross Hogarth. In July he did make one reference to a new record he was starting: "The record I just started ROCKS!!! [it] will be amazing...that is all I will say..."

(Thanks Melodicrock.com)
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:06 am

It sounds like Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth are getting along so well, they can't even be in the same studio!!! I am curious as hell and these two guys are very talented, I just wish they had given Michael Anthony and Ted Templeman a call.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:27 am

Cherone didn't copy Hagar.

When Hagar was singing, VH tuned down a half-step. Plus, Hagar used a LOT more high notes/screams than Cherone did.

When Cherone was singing, EVH was all about telling everyone how it was in standard tuning and that proved how much of a better singer Cherone was than anyone else they had before. All that meant was Cherone had to reach pretty high to hit those notes and it came out scratchy and screamy which caused everyone to draw comparisons to Hagar. Cherone always had a roughly edged voice anyway.

Had Hagar been a part of that album A) the songs would have been shorter, B) the lyrics would have been more VH-like and C) it would have been tuned down a little.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:29 am

manny wrote:
The last two songs that Van Halen worked with David Lee Roth on, 'Me Wise Magic' and "Can't Get that Stuff' where two strong tracks, granted those two tracks where written and recorded back in 1996, but I am holding out hopes that if these tow 50 year old teenagers can keep their egos in check, they should be able to release a strong album.

I agree. I also remember EVH complaining afterwards that DLR took FOREVER to get vocals down that he (EVH) was happy with...otherwise there would have been more than 2 songs. That could be what's going on now. EVH is simply more picky (ie. weird and eccentric) than he was 30 years ago.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:18 pm

The songs could feasibly turn out good, in theory, but with no Michael Anthony, it just won't work for me.

I refuse to give the Van Halen bros. any of my money after they dicked over that guy.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:58 am

The lastest news on Van Halen,

Larry Solters, the spokesman for Van Halen, has dismissed as "untrue" a report the MelodicRock.com web site that indicated that work on the first Van Halen album in more than 25 years with David Lee Roth on vocals was moving forward.

The site reported earlier in the week that the band had hired producer Ross Hogarth for the record, which was tentatively due out sometime in 2011. The report also stated that Roth was recording his vocal tracks at a different location than guitarist Eddie Van Halen's "5150" studio, adding that Eddie is "receiving various vocal tracks from the singer, but not always to the guitarist's satisfaction...it's a work in progress between Eddie and Dave."

The account also stated that Eddie had recorded most of the bass parts for the album. The band's touring bassist is his son, Wolfgang, who replaced founding member Michael Anthony.

Solters told MelodicRock.com that there is "no tour on the books" right now and "no new album on the books." He did, however, concede that the guys hung out together "working on stuff," but as of right now — there will be no album or tour in 2011.

Music publishing company Warner/Chappell Music announced in August that it had extended its publishing administration contract with guitarist Eddie Van Halen and drummer Alex Van Halen, noting that the band "is currently in the studio recording an album with (singer David Lee) Roth that is due for release in 2011."

Meanwhile, according to Billboard.com, Van Halen manager Irving Azoff, who is also the executive chairman of Live Nation, mentioned on two separate conference calls that Van Halen was expected to hit the road next year, presumably in support of a new record.

Word of a new Van Halen album, the band's first with David Lee Roth on since 1983, first began circulating in late June when MelodicRock.com reported from an unnamed source that the project was halfway completed.

Van Halen spokesperson Janie Van Halen, Eddie's wife, denied the rumors, telling Rolling Stone, "I don't have any updates at this time."

Eddie himself told Rolling Stone last year that he was working on material for a new record, but was waiting for his hand to heal from surgery and for Wolfgang to graduate from high school.

A new Van Halen record would be the band's first full studio effort since 1998's "Van Halen III," which featured Gary Cherone on lead vocals.

Van Halen's 2008 reunion tour with Roth grossed more than $93 million and drew nearly one million fans to 74 shows.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 10:00 am

GrimBeornTheOld wrote:
The songs could feasibly turn out good, in theory, but with no Michael Anthony, it just won't work for me.

I refuse to give the Van Halen bros. any of my money after they dicked over that guy.

You know he didn't even play bass on the albums most of the time, right? He only sang backing vocals on the albums (which I admit are part of the VH signature)...the music is 100% EVH & Alex...

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 10:06 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
GrimBeornTheOld wrote:

You know he didn't even play bass on the albums most of the time, right? He only sang backing vocals on the albums (which I admit are part of the VH signature)...the music is 100% EVH & Alex...

They should continue that tradition and not let Wolfie play on the record either.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 10:28 am

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
GrimBeornTheOld wrote:

They should continue that tradition and not let Wolfie play on the record either.

He won't, I'm sure...EVH will handle that.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
GrimBeornTheOld wrote:

You know, I never knew this. Doesn't come as a shock as many bands (Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult, and Queen to name a few) did this a lot back in those days.

You have any idea what songs he did and didn't play on?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 4:45 pm

GrimBeornTheOld wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
GrimBeornTheOld wrote:

You know, I never knew this. Doesn't come as a shock as many bands (Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult, and Queen to name a few) did this a lot back in those days.

I don't know exact songs, but I know that EVH is just so particular about what he writes that he chooses to play a large part of it himself...moreso after the first album, I believe. It's one of those unspoken things that has gone around for decades. EVH and Alex write all the music front to back then the music is given to the singer. EVH just ends up playing all/most of the bass. I know Mike has played some, but like I said I don't know which songs. Sammy & DLR have gone on record several times saying that Michael was on the verge of getting fired all the time on every record...Sammy had to fight to keep Michael several times, most notably on the 2004 tour...EVH didn't want Michael then...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
GrimBeornTheOld wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
GrimBeornTheOld wrote:

I don't know exact songs, but I know that EVH is just so particular about what he writes that he chooses to play a large part of it himself...moreso after the first album, I believe. It's one of those unspoken things that has gone around for decades. EVH and Alex write all the music front to back then the music is given to the singer. EVH just ends up playing all/most of the bass. I know Mike has played some, but like I said I don't know which songs. Sammy & DLR have gone on record several times saying that Michael was on the verge of getting fired all the time on every record...Sammy had to fight to keep Michael several times, most notably on the 2004 tour...EVH didn't want Michael then...

Billy Sheenan states in a few interviews that he was offered the Van Halen gig many times during the early 80's, and either the offers where then taken off the table, the book about the band a few years ago did nothing to clear up the issue what their beef was with Anthony if it had to do with his perfomances or if it was a matter of personalities.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 4:54 pm

I think that Eddie wanted someone that could contribute more musically and Mike basically only had one asset in their eyes... his backing vocals.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 5:28 pm

Very interesting about Sheehan, and most of what has been said makes sense and is plausible. The whole thing about having a fastidious perfectionist on board is they think no one else can get it right, so they believe only they can get it "right."

I remember hearing rumors that Ace Frehley didn't play on most of Destroyer.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Quote :
I remember hearing rumors that Ace Frehley didn't play on most of Destroyer.

According to Wiki, he was replaced only on 3 songs...

Destroyer is the first Kiss album to prominently feature outside musicians, such as members of the New York Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra. However, one musician was not credited: Dick Wagner, from Alice Cooper's band, replaced Ace Frehley on tracks such as "Sweet Pain" (as Frehley didn't want to interrupt a card game he was playing during recording sessions for the song) and even on a song that Frehley himself co-wrote, "Flaming Youth". Wagner also played the acoustic guitar found on the song "Beth".
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 12:16 pm

Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 83628

According to blabbermouth.net, Austria's Mulatschag TV interviewed Alter Bridge guitarist Mark Tremonti and one of the topics discussed was his friendship with Van Halen bassist Wolfgang Van Halen.

When asked about it, Tremonti said, "We played with Van Halen years and years ago at Madison Square Garden and Palace in Detroit. The first time I saw Wolfgang, he was just a little… probably five-year-old kid or six-year-old kid. Eddie [Van Halen guitarist and Wolfgang's father] that day gave me one of his guitars, so I got to know Eddie. Then years went by and Wolfgang ended up being a fan of Alter Bridge, so we got to know him through Alter Bridge. And Wolfgang invited us to go see soundcheck when Van Halen did a tour a couple of years ago, and we were the only in there, so it was quite a treat. And then recently I was in Los Angeles and Wolfgang invited me to his Dad's house and I got to go to 5150 studios and watch Eddie and Alex [Van Halen] and Wolfgang play their new record from front to back. So I was one of the only people who have heard the new Van Halen. It was incredible."

Van Halen's new studio album is tentatively due in the fall, which is when the band is also expected to tour.

Back to top Go down
oldschooldoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 10:59 am

I caught part of a live interview on my local classic FM station.
DLR said, "For those who remember the glory days(of VH) GET READY".
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 11:10 am

oldschooldoom wrote:
I caught part of a live interview on my local classic FM station.
DLR said, "For those who remember the glory days(of VH) GET READY".

His official website had this message...

http://www.davidleeroth.com/

Cryptic, but something big is coming

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen recording a new album   Van Halen recording a new album - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen recording a new album
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next