Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mortification - Blood World

Go down 
+20
Sutekh
nevermore
Dave the Boss
mc666
MetalH
ryanmetalman
powermacho
GrandNational
stepcousin
akeldama
Troublezone
exact33
stevegarveyfan
Stender
Orion Crystal Ice
scottmitchell74
325ad
Thrasher73
ultmetal
mr.electric39
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:29 am

mc666 wrote:
after their first 3 albums, they've always been hit or miss for me. no real bad albums, but none all that great either.

This, though I think they've made a couple of real stinkers.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 1:10 pm

mc666 wrote:
after their first 3 albums, they've always been hit or miss for me. no real bad albums, but none all that great either.

Of those after the first 3, which do you think are the most solid?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 1:15 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
I like it just fine.Lots better than some of their other releases

I agree.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 1:16 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
mc666 wrote:

This, though I think they've made a couple of real stinkers.

Its kinda funny now that I look at it but my interest in Mort has declined by steadily by release after 1998:

I like these:

Break the Curse (1990)
Mortification (1991)
Scrolls of the Megilloth (1992)
Post Momentary Affliction (1993)
Blood World (1994)
Primitive Rhythm Machine (1995)

These are hit or miss:

EnVision EvAngelene (1996)
Triumph of Mercy (1998)

and I have no interest in these anymore:
Hammer of God (1999)
The Silver Cord is Severed (2001)
Relentless (2002)
Brain Cleaner (2004)
Erasing the Goblin (2006)
The Evil Addiction Destroying Machine (2009)

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 1:59 pm

ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Of those after the first 3, which do you think are the most solid?
probably Blood World. i like a lot of Hammer Of God as well, but it's also loaded with filler.

Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 7:59 pm

ryanmetalman wrote:
stevegarveyfan wrote:
Not a horrible album, but you have to remember that some of us were used to Jayson Sherlock's drumming, and then Phil Gibson's on the Blood World album. The drumming, while solid, just wasn't the same. And the overall style was such a departure from that to which I had become accustomed. Not a bad album, but it doesn't grab me like the first three.

Exactly. And I think a lot of it had to do with the timing. While it is a good album, before this record was released, Morty was "labeled" as death metal. Obviously there was more to it than that, but a lot of fans lost interest because of the change in musical direction. The thunderous drums ended and Steve stopped growling with that one. Mort put out two of their heaviest records with "Scrolls" and "Post-momentary." The very next album was "Blood World."

Agreed. Whilst it became their highest selling record in the US, the musical direction was certainly different, with more hardcore and classic metal influences evident. Steve's vocal style took on the 'Rambo' style shout, rather than the expected growl. This did alienate some of the Australian fanbase at the time, who were confused by it.

In hindsight, with Mort's continual reinvention, it isn't surprising, and BW is a pretty solid album with some great grooves. At the time, however, it was a big leap. And having said that, I think that Envision Evangeline is a better album!
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 12:06 am

I agree with Sutekh in that I enjoy EnVision EvAngelene a bit better than I do BloodWorld.
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 12:23 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:
I agree with Sutekh in that I enjoy EnVision EvAngelene a bit better than I do BloodWorld.

As do I. In fact, strangely, I think it is one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 8:15 am

EnVision is fantastic IMO.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 8:21 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:

I would still go with BW but Envision has its moments.

Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 12:06 pm

I think the only good song on EnVision is the title track. The rest bores me to tears, although Noah was a Knower is good for a laugh or two.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 12:32 pm

Never listened to a note from anything past Post Momentary Affliction. I was never really taken with the first three so I never pursued anything after that. The thing that always lacked for me is the presence of riffs and I never liked the dominance the bass has always had.

But...I need to investigate. I will say I wasn't overly excited about the shouting vocals beginning to surface on PMA. He's got a classic death growl though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 12:37 pm

I can find stuff to like on almost all the Mort albums. Some more then others but usually stuff grows on me after a few listens.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 12:47 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Never listened to a note from anything past Post Momentary Affliction.
that was the best they had to offer really. after that they lose focus.

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 1:04 pm

yeah. I dont they figured out what style of music they wanted to play...

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 2:53 pm

exact33 wrote:

I think they knew exactly what they wanted to do. Steve was just never concerned with having to fit into a certain mold, other than it being metal. He's a fan of death metal, thrash metal, classic metal and hardcore, so all those play a hand in his music.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 2:56 pm

Primitive Rhythm Machine is my fave.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 4:59 pm

ultmetal wrote:
exact33 wrote:

I think they knew exactly what they wanted to do. Steve was just never concerned with having to fit into a certain mold, other than it being metal. He's a fan of death metal, thrash metal, classic metal and hardcore, so all those play a hand in his music.
Hmmmm.....similar to Living Sacrifice aye?? lol!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 8:18 am

ultmetal wrote:
exact33 wrote:

I know that but I dont think the music was as focused as it was on the earlier albums. When a mort album comes out i will give it a listen but so far none of the newer ones have held my interest. I just find myself in the early albums are best camp.

shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 9:41 pm

akeldama wrote:
I've been jamming Blood World a lot this whole week! Symbiosis is prolly my fave song off the album.

The live version of Symbiosis on Live Planetarium is better but it is a good song.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 8:26 am

shamgar75 wrote:
akeldama wrote:
I've been jamming Blood World a lot this whole week! Symbiosis is prolly my fave song off the album.

The live version of Symbiosis on Live Planetarium is better but it is a good song.

Do you think it's better, or is it just the version you heard first and thus you like it better?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 1:31 pm

I agree with those who posted that BW threw them for a loop, as it really was a departure of a style that got the band it's fanbase in the first place. It was never the same again. Sure, Steve has released some great music after the first three, and Blood World is amongst the finest. But it sure isn't the same band anymore....

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 7:41 pm

ultmetal wrote:
shamgar75 wrote:
akeldama wrote:

Do you think it's better, or is it just the version you heard first and thus you like it better?

Surrounded by the earlier material on Planetarium, Symbiosis seems a more natural fit there than on BW. I also like the live version better!
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:32 am

I think Morty's best era is from Break The Curse through to Envision. They've maintained catchy tunes since then, but I found the handful of albums released from Triumph onwards to be rather wanting production wise.
For me, I think they started to improve again from Relentless and more so from Brain Cleaner.

On topic, I have always enjoyed Bloodworld. It's a different sound to prior releases but it also seemed quite fast and fresh back then. Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 11840
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:24 pm

ultmetal wrote:
shamgar75 wrote:
akeldama wrote:

I actually got Blood World first. Loved Symbiosis when I heard it on
there. A few years later I got the Live Planetarium and heard it on
there; loved the sound better. It sounds heavier. Just my opinion. Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mortification - Blood World   Mortification - Blood World - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mortification - Blood World
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: