Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thin Lizzy announce new line up

Go down 
+15
JBall_Z
Fat Freddy
Dave the Boss
shamgar75
nevermore
James B.
Schbopo
Wargod
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
Zdan
Olafsto
ultmetal
kmorg
manny
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 10:37 pm

I wish John Sykes was playing.

But it is cool to keep the music alive.

Like Ult said, Phil was Thin Lizzy. Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 11:27 am

ultmetal wrote:
Why is it so pathetic? What's so bad about these guys keeping the music alive? It's not like they are making new recordings under the name. They are just touring and keeping the music alive.

+ 1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 12:30 pm

Serious question. Why, if the singer stays and everyone else leaves it's ok to keep the name but if the singer is gone they should change the name?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 12:33 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Serious question. Why, if the singer stays and everyone else leaves it's ok to keep the name but if the singer is gone they should change the name?

That is not always the case Black Sabbath changed singers many times and kept the name Black Sabbath, it depends on who legally owns the name.

I have no idea who owns the name Thin Lizzy, but his estate (Phil Lynott's mom) I believe has given them the blessing on using the name Thin Lizzy, as long as they do not release any new studio recordings under that name, at least I believe I read that somewhere.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 2:21 pm

manny wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:

That is not always the case Black Sabbath changed singers many times and kept the name Black Sabbath, it depends on who legally owns the name.

I have no idea who owns the name Thin Lizzy, but his estate (Phil Lynott's mom) I believe has given them the blessing on using the name Thin Lizzy, as long as they do not release any new studio recordings under that name, at least I believe I read that somewhere.

Same deal with GnR. According to Slash's book, Axl forced everyone in the band, at different times, to sign over the name to him. Before Steven Adler was officially fired, as part of a "sobriety contract", he signed over his rights to the band name. It was either sign the contract or be fired right then & there.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 2:25 pm

The Doors when they "reunited' a few years ago as The Doors of the 21st Century, they where sued by both Jim Morrison's estate and Doors drummer John Densmore, they lost the case and changed their name to Riders on the Storm, til they finally disbanded again.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 2:56 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

Depends on the band and the impotrtance of one individual.
Do you think it would be ok for the rest of the members to continue as Dio if RJD decided to quit?
And it`s not always the singer, would it be ok if some earlier members decided to reunite Rainbow without Ritchie Blackmore?
I don`t think so.
IMO it is the same with Phil and Thin Lizzy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Olafsto wrote:
would it be ok if some earlier members decided to reunite Rainbow without Ritchie Blackmore?

It's been done. Joe Lynn Turner and a couple of other ex-Rainbow dudes now have a band called "Over the Rainbow," which has Ritchie's son Jurgen on guitar in his Dad's place.

http://www.myspace.com/overtherainbowrocks

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Olafsto wrote:
would it be ok if some earlier members decided to reunite Rainbow without Ritchie Blackmore?

It's been done. Joe Lynn Turner and a couple of other ex-Rainbow dudes now have a band called "Over the Rainbow," which has Ritchie's son Jurgen on guitar in his Dad's place.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/overtherainbowrocks
http://www.myspace.com/overtherainbowrocks[/quote[/url]]

And as much as I respect Joe LynnTurner as a talent and the rest of the guys in this line up, recruiting Blackmore's son is very cheesy.

Of course Freddy they are called Over the Rainbow, if this version of Thin Lizzy called themselves Thinner Lizzy or Not so Thin Lizzy then maybe it would be ok
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Quote :
And as much as I respect Joe LynnTurner as a talent and the rest of the guys in this line up, recruiting Blackmore's son is very cheesy.

Would it be wrong to assume that Ritchie is ok with this?

If Ritchie and his son are at odds with each other and this was done outta spite, then yea, it's kinda douchy. If Ritchie's ok with it (he's made it pretty clear he's not interested in reliving the past), I don't have a problem with it.

Is Over the Rainbow recording new music or just touring? If they are just touring, it sounds like the same thing the Thin Lizzy guys are doing, just keeping the music alive.

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Ritchie is good with it. He gave the project his blessing. Ritchie isn't going to play rock ever again, so it might as well be his son.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Like Spec said, Blackmore has no problem with his son working with Joe Lynn Turner, and at the moment the band serves as a tribute band to all of the eras of Rainbow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 4:29 pm

Well, apart from the legal rights I think most bands should be able to carry on with change of singer. Though, if it's someone's name like Dio that would be weird.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Phil was a singer/songwriter/bass player, plus the guiding force behind the band in every way. Thus as far as I'm concerned, unless he rises from the grave, Thin Lizzy ended when he died.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 12:10 am

ultmetal wrote:
Why is it so pathetic? What's so bad about these guys keeping the music alive? It's not like they are making new recordings under the name. They are just touring and keeping the music alive.

I agree. It's like Grand Funk Railroad continuing without Mark Farner, more power to them. It's cool they're keeping the music alive, and I'm sure the fans have a blast watching them perform and pay tribute to the old GFR material, but no combination of musicians can ever replace "the wild and shirtless" Mark Farner just like no one can ever really replace Phil Lynott.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 4:31 am

Photo Shoot of the line up. ohh Christ.

Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Thinli10
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 4:56 am

Olafsto wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:

Depends on the band and the impotrtance of one individual.
Do you think it would be ok for the rest of the members to continue as Dio if RJD decided to quit?
And it`s not always the singer, would it be ok if some earlier members decided to reunite Rainbow without Ritchie Blackmore?
I don`t think so.
IMO it is the same with Phil and Thin Lizzy.

It would be like Black Label Society carrying on without Zakk Wylde.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 9:33 am

Marco Mendoza is a great bassist. They couldn't have picked someone better to fill Lynott's shoes in that department.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 2:37 am

Locky wrote:
Photo Shoot of the line up. ohh Christ.

Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Thinli10

There wont be as many screeming girls this time around eh? Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:59 am

Thin Lizzy have enlisted Guns N' Roses guitarist Richard Fortus as the temporary replacement for Vivian Campbell, who will return to Def Leppard next month.

Fortus joined Thin Lizzy on stage at their final show of the band's U.S. tour on April 1st at Vic Theatre in Chicago. He will take over for Campbell after the band's May 28th concert in Slaine Castle, Ireland. Campbell writes on his Facebook page, "Well, that was it: my last U.S. show with Lizzy — and it was a great one to end on. New guitarist Richard Fortus came and played a couple of songs. I have one final gig with them in Ireland, and the very next day we start Def Lep rehearsals."

Thin Lizzy's latest version includes original members Scott Gorham, Brian Downey and Darren Wharton, Vivian Campbell, former Whitesnake bassist Marco Mendoza and ex-The Almighty frontman Ricky Warwick.

In a recent interview with Gibson.com, Campbell discussed his involvement with the band stating, "It's been a tremendous pleasure to tour with Thin Lizzy. Playing with a band that meant so much to me in my formative years has really rekindled my passion for the instrument again. I haven't been this excited about guitar playing since I was in my teens!"

When asked if he would like to be a part of future tours, should he be available, Campbell said, "Absolutely! However, I continue to be fully committed to Def Leppard, and we're going to be on the road from June of this year, so Lizzy [will be using] a replacement for me for their continuing summer dates. They have very kindly offered me the opportunity to come back when my schedule with Def Leppard opens up, and you can bet that I'll be there in a heartbeat!"

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 11:08 am

Eddie Trunk played some live clips with this new line-up (the Campbell version, not Fortus) the other night on his radio show. I'm not the biggest Lizzy fan, but it was decent enough.

That Ricky Warwick guy sounded sorta like Phil at times, but had his own spin. Kinda like the way the new guy in Accept sometimes sounds similiar to Udo, but still puts his own spin on things.

Are there any plans for a new album with this line-up or are they just doing the nostalgia tour thing?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eddie Trunk played some live clips with this new line-up (the Campbell version, not Fortus) the other night on his radio show. I'm not the biggest Lizzy fan, but it was decent enough.

That Ricky Warwick guy sounded sorta like Phil at times, but had his own spin. Kinda like the way the new guy in Accept sometimes sounds similiar to Udo, but still puts his own spin on things.

Are there any plans for a new album with this line-up or are they just doing the nostalgia tour thing?

Just a trip down memory lane for the moment
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 11:52 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

That Ricky Warwick guy sounded sorta like Phil at times, but had his own spin.

Still think they should have went for Ripper (they missed out badly there)

I'm also quite sure that had Blaze left Blaze!!! before this tour started then the'd have been a shoe in.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 11:31 am

I thought this was interesting. They've put all this time & effort getting the name Thin Lizzy back out there and putting together new music. Then all of the sudden, *BOOM*, change game plans altogether...

Quote :
Thin Lizzy have decided to end their two-year-old new era, and won’t release the new material they’ve written under the banner of Phil Lynott’s band.

The outfit regrouped in 2010 behind former Almighty frontman Ricky Warwick, and toured the world to great acclaim.

Earlier this year they revealed plans to record a new album, then went into the studio and worked on 20 songs. But they’ve now said that while the material will be heard in the near future, it won’t be described as Thin Lizzy music.

And after their upcoming European tour they’ll wind down regular live performances.

Original guitarist Scott Gorham says: “Out of respect to Phil and the legacy he created, we have decided we should not release a new album under the Thin Lizzy name.

“It was a very difficult decision as we put a lot of time and effort into rebuilding the brand over recent years. Releasing a new album was the only way to continue this success.

“We have written songs that we all feel do the band credit. We believe Phil would have been proud of them. We always knew a new record was a touchy subject with some people, and we really want the quality of these songs to be heard by everyone without any judgement or prejudice. We have decided not to release these songs under the name Thin Lizzy.”

The album is set for release in the near future, but Gorham hasn’t revealed the name they’ll use.

Frontman Warwick says their decision doesn’t mean a complete end to Lizzy activity.

He explains: “Nobody respects Phil as much as I do. Singing his songs for the past two years has been an incredible honour and something I will never forget.

“Without a new album to gain new press and keep the momentum we’ve built up, we’re worried the brand will diminish to a point we would never want to see.

“Therefore our regular touring will cease after our European tour. This does not necessarily mean we will never play together again as Thin Lizzy. We may still play odd shows in 2013 and beyond if people want to see us.”

They can spin it in the press that they're doing it out of respect for Phil and the TL legacy, but I gotta wonder if they ran into some legal red tape about using the Thin Lizzy name? Seems like they put in an awful lotta work for this to happen out of the blue.

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 11:44 am

Good. I've been against this from the beginning, no matter the reason I'm happy about the outcome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thin Lizzy announce new line up
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next