Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

UFO or THIN LIZZY

Go down 
+15
James B.
MetalRob331
metalken
Temple of Blood
Wargod
tohostudios
Schbopo
nevermore
DeathCult
skullsmasher
EvyMetal
manny
iamrockerfun
mc666
ultmetal
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:30 pm

Of these two bands, which do you like better?

Both were popular around the same time. Both were equally influential to the metal scene in the early 80's. Both have had some serious contenders for the guitar playing crown. Both have had guitarists who have had offshoot projects that are fantastic.

I've been a fan of both for decades and love them both, but Thin Lizzy has long been my favorite. However, after seeing UFO this past year and gaining a new respect for them, I've become obsessed with them all over again.

Which do you prefer and why?

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:36 pm

UFO because i'm a big Schenker fan.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:45 pm

mc666 wrote:
UFO because i'm a big Schenker fan.

Everybody always says he's a jerk, but when I met him he was very cool.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:54 pm

both of them. Lizzy = Ufo. sometimes Ufo is much prefered but than back to Lizzy.
( hmmm ... reminds me of Lizzy Borden )
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 4:58 pm

This is like asking which of my twins is a favorite, I love both bands but if I had to choose, I would have to say UFO, simply because I own more of their albums and like mc666 I am huge Michael Schenker fan.
BTW ULT very cool that you have not only seen UFO but met Michael Schenker, never had the privilage to have done either.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 5:06 pm

I like Thin Lizzy more.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 5:13 pm

i'd still much prefer the Scorpions over both of them though.

skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 5:16 pm

UFO but only by a whisker. I have seen Shenker a few times and he is amazing. I regret that I never got the chance to see Thin Lizzy. They came through town a few years back but I didn't get to see them. It would have been cool but it couldn't be the same without Phil Lynott
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 5:56 pm

manny wrote:
This is like asking which of my twins is a favorite, I love both bands but if I had to choose, I would have to say UFO, simply because I own more of their albums and like mc666 I am huge Michael Schenker fan.
BTW ULT very cool that you have not only seen UFO but met Michael Schenker, never had the privilage to have done either.

I've met Schenker at a meet and greet. Seen MSG live with Uli Roth at the House of Blues in Hollywood. Also met Uli Roth which was VERY cool.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 6:27 pm

Thin Lizzy. Im a huge Schenker & Way fan as well as UFO in general, but I really enjoy Lynott's compositions and lyrics more that man was a serious poet. Not to mention Thin Lizzy had some pretty good guitar themselves, and Brian Downey is a GREAT drummer
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 6:36 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Thin Lizzy. Im a huge Schenker & Way fan as well as UFO in general, but I really enjoy Lynott's compositions and lyrics more that man was a serious poet. Not to mention Thin Lizzy had some pretty good guitar themselves, and Brian Downey is a GREAT drummer

I agree. Thin Lizzy for me!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 6:37 pm

Not a huge fan of either, but I think I'll have to say Lizzy. UFO's great, but they lack the infectious riffs and catchiness Thin Lizzy had.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 6:45 pm

I go with UFO.

I have sentimental attachments to the band's music.

In college, a bar band called Night Rider was a favorite of my roommate and I. One of their staples was a song called Shoot Shoot. Because the band would sprinkle some originals into their sets, we thought that was one of them. One night while helping the band load their gear into the van we asked them about it. They said it was a UFO song.

Both my roommate and I ran out the next day and bought Strangers In The Night on vinyl. I still flash back to those days when I hear that song.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 6:50 pm

UFO for me to me just a bit heavier!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 6:54 pm

nevermore wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

I agree. Thin Lizzy for me!

Brian Downey is one of the most underrated drummers ever!

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 9:26 pm

THIN LIZZY
Back to top Go down

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 10:13 pm

"musically" I love both bands and UFO definitely was a great band. But there's one big difference here...

Phil Lynott

...the guy was a genius songwriter, Thin Lizzy is more memorable for their songs than their riffs or solos. In my opinion of course.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 1:52 am

I will go with UFO, but just by a hair. I believe both bands are/were of immence talent, but I have more pleasent thoughts and feelings with the music of UFO over the last 25+ years.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 6:38 am

I have to go with UFO, Schenker buts them over the top. I like Lizzy but hearing there radio staples as a teenager turned me off from them for a while.

Heavenly Body is my favorite UFO song even though its with Moore
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 10:34 am

Brian Downey and Andy Parker are two of my favorite drummers. When it is all said and done....UFO

UFO had a lil more consistancy with overall albums and for a few years there, UFO got busy onstage indeed.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 1:51 pm

I'm a big Schenker fan so I have to go with UFO. Listening to Black Rose now and I have to say Thin Lizzy is awesome and this is one of their finest.
Back to top Go down
Louder
Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 5:57 pm

Thin Lizzy, easily. UFO has a few songs I do like, and Schenker is undeniably great--but overall UFO's vocals bug me and I don't find most of the songs as catchy or compelling as Thin Lizzy's.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 10:20 pm

Neither. I've never been too impressed with either of them.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 10:22 pm

Has anyone totalled up the votes to see who's winning?

I think Thin Lizzy is but it's pretty close.

Master Sailboat
mc666

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 10:37 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Has anyone totalled up the votes to see who's winning?

I think Thin Lizzy is but it's pretty close.
it's UFO.. by one vote. 9 to 8

Sponsored content

UFO or THIN LIZZY Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO or THIN LIZZY   UFO or THIN LIZZY Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UFO or THIN LIZZY
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: