Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thin Lizzy announce new line up

Go down 
+15
JBall_Z
Fat Freddy
Dave the Boss
shamgar75
nevermore
James B.
Schbopo
Wargod
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
Zdan
Olafsto
ultmetal
kmorg
manny
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Thin Lizzy announce new line up Empty
PostSubject: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:10 pm

I was surprised and the line up is somewhat impressive, but I still have a hard time accepting Lizzy without Lynott:

Scott Gorham - Guitar
Brian Downey - Drums
Darren Wharton - Keyboards
Vivian Campbell - Guitar
Marco Mendoza - Bass Guitar
Ricky Warwick - Lead Vocals / Guitar

Thin Lizzy is one of rock music's most recognizable names. The fiery Dublin band exploded onto the scene with a fresh sound, look and attitude. Led by the incomparable Phil Lynott, the band reached many peaks and influenced generations of musicians with classic tracks such as "Jailbreak," "The Boys Are Back In Town," "Still In Love With You," "Cold Sweat," "Emerald" and "Don't Believe A Word."
Most rock historians would agree the pinnacle of Thin Lizzy's commercial success was in 1983, followed by the band's premature demise, as they played their last gig in September of 1984. Just two years later, the world was shocked when singer/bassist and founding member Phil Lynott passed away at the age of 36.
24 years have passed, the world has changed, but the amazing body of work that is Thin Lizzy still retains all of its vibrancy and influence.
A new lineup has formed to take Lizzy's music to a whole new generation of music fans. Led by alumni Scott Gorham, Brian Downey and Darren Wharton (all of whom played in Thin Lizzy with Phil Lynott) the stellar lineup is completed by Def Leppard's Vivian Campbell (guitar), bassist Marco Mendoza (Whitesnake, Ted Nugent) and The Almighty's Ricky Warwick on vocals and guitar.
Alongside the new lineup, Universal Music has committed to a series of re-issue, deluxe and special releases of classic Thin Lizzy material over the next 18 months. More details to follow.
Thin Lizzy has confirmed a 2011 U.K. tour. The dates are as follows:
Jan. 6 - Aberdeen - Music Hall
Jan. 7 - Glasgow - O2 Academy
Jan. 8 - Newcastle - City Hall
Jan. 10 - Leeds - O2 Academy
Jan. 11 - Llandudno - Theatre
Jan. 12 - Leicester - De Montfort Hall
Jan. 14 - Wolverhampton - Civic Hall
Jan. 15 - Manchester - Apollo
Jan. 16 - Bristol - Colston Hall
Jan. 18 - Southampton - Guildhall
Jan. 19 - Ipswich - Regent
Jan. 21 - Cambridge - Corn Exchange
Jan. 22 - Hammersmith - London, HMV Apollo
Doors will be at 7 p.m. Special guests will be Seattle based Supersuckers.
For U.K. dates, tickets will be available from 9 a.m. on May 14, 2010 exclusively through Planet Rock radio. Tickets are priced £23.50 (£26 London) — subject to booking fee — and are available through www.planetrock.com.
Tickets will go on general sale from 9 a.m. on May 28th (prices as above and subject to booking fee) and will also be available through www.livenation.co.uk. VIP packages will alo be available, check listings.
In addition to the U.K., Thin Lizzy's new lineup will play Dublin on January 4, 2011. This special show will mark the 25th anniversary of Phil Lynott's passing and the event will feature many additional guest stars and performers. Venue details are set to follow.
Thin Lizzy 2010 is:
Scott Gorham - Guitar
Brian Downey - Drums
Vivian Campbell - Guitar
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Call me when Phil Lynnot's back......

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:13 pm

Nice that they got Brian Downey back in the fold. Vivian Campbell is an interesting addition. I haven't liked anything he has done since leaving Dio.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:18 pm

So ULT what is your opinion of Thin Lizzy continuing without Lynott?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:21 pm

It's more of a tribute than actually being Thin Lizzy. I saw them with Scott Gorham and John Sykes opening for Deep Purple. I quite enjoyed it. No, it will never be the same. I mean Phil was Thin Lizzy, but it's nice to have these guys keeping the music alive.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:28 pm

I enjoyed the anniversary tribute DVD Gary Moore arranged a few years back, but for these guys to continue as Thin Lizzy is just pathetic..
Phil Lynott could have continued as Thin Lizzy with whatever backing band he would pick, not the other way around.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:37 pm

They continue as Thin Lizzy in name only. It's more a tribute band to Lizzy - as far as I know no new material is being recorded and it's just a live band trying to keep Phil's music alive.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 2:40 pm

Zdan wrote:
They continue as Thin Lizzy in name only. It's more a tribute band to Lizzy - as far as I know no new material is being recorded and it's just a live band trying to keep Phil's music alive.

That is what they have always maintained. When I saw them live, they made it clear that Phil was Thin Lizzy and that they were paying tribute to him and his music.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Quote :
Thin Lizzy 2010 is:
Scott Gorham - Guitar
Brian Downey - Drums
Vivian Campbell - Guitar

Not much of a fan, but that's quite a line-up they've assembled. I wonder of Viv Campbell will stretch his wings a little on his playing.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
Thin Lizzy 2010 is:
Scott Gorham - Guitar
Brian Downey - Drums
Vivian Campbell - Guitar

Not much of a fan, but that's quite a line-up they've assembled. I wonder of Viv Campbell will stretch his wings a little on his playing.

He's gonna have to. He has some pretty big shoes to fill.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:19 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
Thin Lizzy 2010 is:
Scott Gorham - Guitar
Brian Downey - Drums
Vivian Campbell - Guitar

If he is playing Brian Robertson's parts then I am sure he will be, I have the live album they released a few years ago with John Sykes , which was very good but carrying on with the name Thin Lizzy is just not cool to me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Have you ever heard his solo album, Ult? It's a blues album, covering some old standards. Viv lays down some nice guitar work on it and provides some vocals as well. Nothing mind-blowing, but it's a nice listen and you can find it cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Sides-If-Vivian-Campbell/dp/B000AMWIYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1273692067&sr=1-1

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:28 pm

That Vivian Campbell solo album was not bad, it was not great but it was very listenable, sort of a mellower ( and nowhere near as good) Rory Gallagher.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:29 pm

I like the line up, shame they blacken the Thin Lizzy name with it though, and where the fook's the Irish date, they are playing in Llandudno even.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 3:46 pm

manny wrote:
That Vivian Campbell solo album was not bad, it was not great but it was very listenable, sort of a mellower ( and nowhere near as good) Rory Gallagher.

I was thinking along the lines of 2nd rate Gary Moore, but yea, Rory's not a bad comparision either. It's not a frequent spinner by itself, but when I shuffle it in with some other blues albums on the computer, it's a good listen.

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:39 pm

I'd personally place Rory ahead of Gary Moore anyday, haven't heard Vivian's solo album
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:01 pm

I'm ok with this even though it will feel different. At least they aknowledge it's a tribute.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 6:47 pm

So are The Almighty done now?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 7:23 pm

Thin Lizzy is Phil enough said. As Ult said Lizzy is more of a tribute band now.

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Locky wrote:
I'd personally place Rory ahead of Gary Moore anyday, haven't heard Vivian's solo album

Only buy it if you see dirt cheap
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 8:50 pm

This is like Elvis' backing band going out on tour as "Elvis".

It may be a tribute, but it's pretty pathetic in reality.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 8:55 pm

This is not Thin Lizzy. This a supergroup containing a few of their members.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Why is it so pathetic? What's so bad about these guys keeping the music alive? It's not like they are making new recordings under the name. They are just touring and keeping the music alive.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Locky wrote:

All day long.....

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 9:53 pm

ultmetal wrote:
It's more of a tribute than actually being Thin Lizzy. I saw them with Scott Gorham and John Sykes opening for Deep Purple. I quite enjoyed it. No, it will never be the same. I mean Phil was Thin Lizzy, but it's nice to have these guys keeping the music alive.

I feel the same way. I caught them in a club in 2002. I felt it was a fantastic tribute to one of the best bands ever.

I'm surprised at the additions of Vivian Campbell and Ricky Warwick to the band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thin Lizzy announce new line up   Thin Lizzy announce new line up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thin Lizzy announce new line up
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next