Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Go down 
+11
exact33
DallasBlack
candlemass
Todd Jaymz
ultmetal
TheGooch
SAHB Healer
kmorg
Wargod
mc666
Rex
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

Symphony X - Paradise Lost Empty
PostSubject: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 7:54 pm

Such a killer album! I'm not even that much of a SmX fan, but this one is awesome. The artwork is also very well done, the front cover is the worst of it all. Parts of it looks a wee bit computer generated (example: the angel lady on the cover), but overall its got a great look to it. And the music shreds.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 7:55 pm

Oh yeah, the digipak format sucks. Get the jewel case version if you can find it. I didn't see one though.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 8:50 pm

what's wrong with the digi format?

Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2007 9:31 pm

I like digi's but the Symphony X one is a little to fragile you have to open it in up in 4 pieces!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 4:40 am

On the wantlist!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 5:20 pm

Yeah, some of the digi-packs that I've got have looked worn out after two days. They accumulate every fingerprint, and like to rip and fray at the slightest provocation. Worse yet, my rabbit has a taste for them (she loves cardboard).
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 6:35 pm

Quote :
Get the jewel case version if you can find it. I didn't see one though.

The Lasers Edge has a jewel case version!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 8:06 am

Worst of all, when its closed, it doesn't lay flat. The cover wants to pop up.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 8:56 am

i would like to get it but i have not been anywhere and seen it. i have bought too many cds recentyl and now i dont want to listen to any of them
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 12:14 pm

What is everyone's thoughts on this CD? Seems somewhat mixed over at the CMR. Some saying it's the best metal album ever recorded, others saying it's ok, but doesn't do much for them. I still haven't heard it yet.

Last edited by on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 12:32 pm

I think its a great album, but there are a lot more I'd put ahead of this one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 10:48 pm

Album of the year for me so far.  Allen and Romeo are better than ever.  

And I love the digipack.  I'd say releases like this will prevent piracy.  
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 3:40 pm

Great cd!!-TJ
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 4:10 pm

Picked up the CD at the show, gave it to my son though, what I heard at the show and on the way home was great! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 8:28 am

OK, I picked up the CD over the weekend. My wife's van broke down this weekend. A water hose burst. Fortunately it broke in the parking lot of a Best Buy, so while we waited for the engine to cool, we walked through Best Buy and I picked up the new Symphony X.

Sitting here listening to it now. It does sound good, but as I suspected, comparing it to the thrashy power metal of Brainstorm is like comparing apples and oranges. "Paradise Lost" is prog-metal through and through. It reminds me A LOT of Dream Theater, although it seems a bit heavier than DT. I'm gonna have to give this one more playtime. It's good and will probably make my Top 20 of the year, as long as I don't get bored with it easily, as I tend to do with a lot of prog-metal.

The packaging is cool and sucks all at the same time. I would rather have had a jewel case version frankly, although the packaging is sort of cool how it opens up almost like a cross. I'm gonna have to put this one on my iPod so that the packaging doesn't get destroyed carrying it around. It also bugs me that this CD has no spine, so when I store it on my CD shelves, it's gonna be hard to find.

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 8:29 am

Good band and very good record, but the epic/symphonic stuff loses me...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 9:28 am

Excellent album!! Definitely their heaviest effort yet. They actually remind me a little of Iced Earth here and there (listening to Framing Armageddon these days too, hehe). I'm not sure it is their best yet, but it's still a darn fine album!

Oh, the digipack sucks! Even the bonus CD packaging sucks. It's is a separate cardboard sleeve, glues to the back of the CD package! RETARDED!

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 5:49 pm

Great album and sports some of Sir Russel Allen's most evil sounding vocals to date. Not as good as The Odyssey (my favorite) but I would say better than the older albums, although I haven't heard anything from them that I don't like (I'm missing the first 2 albums). As for the packaging, I think it looks cool but I will probably put the disc in a hard case when I ever set up my CDs (I don't have my own place yet and I won't for at least another year).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 9:05 pm

It is on ok cd. I probably havent spent as much time with it as i should but for my money the prog metal cd of the year is Circus Maximus - Isolate followed by Winds - Prominence and Demise....

Alex

stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 9:39 pm

A solid album for me. A bit too groovy and modern in spots to my personal liking. My favourite is still Twilight in Olympus by far.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 10:14 pm

stormspell wrote:
My favourite is still Twilight in Olympus by far.

Great album, my favorite song from that is Through the Looking Glass, I put it on par with the Odyssey (as far as epic songs go).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 1:17 am

Wargod48 wrote:
Quote :
Get the jewel case version if you can find it. I didn't see one though.

The Lasers Edge has a jewel case version!

Wargod48

Is that a record label or distro? I want to get the jewel case. I hate digipaks.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 2:33 am

Never mind Wargod48. I found the website. Thanks for the tip. I also scored my self a copy of the long out-of-print doom classic Last Chapter - Paths to Always for $7. Sweet!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 2:51 pm

I think this is quite a good disc. I'm not a big fan of this band but this cd really impressed me.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:51 pm

They just released a new video for the song Set the World on Fire

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=88254
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Symphony X - Paradise Lost   Symphony X - Paradise Lost Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next