Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Complete collections

Go down 
+11
AchrisK
TheGooch
mc666
arttieTHE1manparty
pricekillers001
kmorg
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
sovdat
15 posters
AuthorMessage
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

Complete collections Empty
PostSubject: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 12:26 pm

Just curious, if you guys collect anything "in complete". For example all releases from some bands (Albums, EPs, singles, lives, demotapes, ...), all releases from some labels (Nuclear Blast Smile ), or do you maybe concentrate on particular countries, or stuff like this?

Me:
- thrash / speed metal '83 - '93 : just everything!!! So, I still have 3000+ albums to get Very Happy Some good, some bad, some awful - I want it all Smile

- then, full discographies of certain bands (at least full-length albums) like Judas Priest, King Diamond, Slayer, Overkill, maybe Megadeth ...

- my favorite heavy and co. albums (usually old stuff), mainly on CD reissues / bootlegs (for example Graven Image, Leather Nunn and stuff). I wouldn't mind having originals of Paradoxx and co., but I don't have $2000 to pay for one LP Smile

- and for the new bands; just some releases I found to be really good (Violator, for example).

- some local bands / friends (If we're friends, then I'll buy a CD, no matter how crappy it is Smile ).

If it's labeled as thrash / speed and the year is right, I usually buy stuff without hearing it or reading reviews, etc. - for everything else, I listen to copies first, and then decide if I'm going to buy it or not.

I don't have any special labels, countries or so.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 12:52 pm

I have the complete studio album discographies of quite a few bands, like Metallica (except for their last piece of poop), Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Helloween, Savatage, Iced Earth, Overkill, Raven, Crimson Glory, etc., etc.

I say "studio" albums because I don't usually go out of my way for live discs (strictly a personal preference, I'd rather have studio material), though I do have quite a few live albums by many of the above bands as well. But when a band is on its third or fourth live CD (hell-ooooo Iron Maiden!) I have to draw the line somewhere. I mean, how many live renditions of the same songs do I really need? 🤘
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 1:14 pm

I usually stick to studio albums of bands I really like,for example Overkill,Exodus,Testament,Stryper,etc.I will on ocassion pick up demos of those bands,but I usually never collect live albums.Any thrash from around the mid to late 80s and early 90s are also on my list.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have the complete studio album discographies of quite a few bands, like Metallica (except for their last piece of poop), Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Helloween, Savatage, Iced Earth, Overkill, Raven, Crimson Glory, etc., etc.

I say "studio" albums because I don't usually go out of my way for live discs (strictly a personal preference, I'd rather have studio material), though I do have quite a few live albums by many of the above bands as well. But when a band is on its third or fourth live CD (hell-ooooo Iron Maiden!) I have to draw the line somewhere. I mean, how many live renditions of the same songs do I really need? 🤘

I'm pretty much the same. Certain bands I like to have the complete "studio" discography and typically don't get into live albums unless I've actually seen the band live myself. There's always exceptions, but generally speaking, I'm not a huge fan of live albums. Don't have many singles or special "collector's editions" either, with a few exceptions.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 1:40 pm

I'm pretty anal about Aerosmith, Kiss, Thin Lizzy, Ted Nugent, Angel, Raven, Twisted Sister, Motorhead and about 30-40 other bands. However, my Aerosmith collection is pretty obnoxious.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Quote :
But when a band is on its third or fourth live CD (hell-ooooo Iron Maiden!) I have to draw the line somewhere. I mean, how many live renditions of the same songs do I really need? 🤘

Speaking of which...

On July 16, 2007, SPV will release "Better Motörhead than Dead: Live at Hammersmith", a double live CD recorded at MOTÖRHEAD's 30th-anniversary show on June 16, 2005 at London's Hammersmith Appollo/Odeon. The set will be released in digipak form and is available for pre-order from www.play.com.

"Better Motörhead than Dead: Live at Hammersmith" track listing:

Disc 1

01. Dr. Rock
02. Stay Clean
03. Shoot You In The Back
04. Love Me Like A Reptile
05. Killers
06. Metropolis
07. Love For Sale
08. Over The Top
09. No Class
10. I Got Mine
11. In The Name Of Tragedy
12. Dancing On Your Grave

Disc 2

01. R.A.M.O.N.E.S.
02. Sacrifice
03. Just 'Cos You Got The Power
04. (We Are) The Road Crew
05. Going To Brazil
06. Killed By Death
07. Iron Fist
08. Whorehouse Blues
09. Bomber
10. Ace Of Spades
11. Overkill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 1:45 pm

King's X is the only band I have been over-the-top obsessed with getting every single thing they ever put out. I have about 60 boots, demos from every album, pre-King's X stuff, solo/side projects, singles (domestic and import), promos of every variety, Japanese/German/French versions of studio albums, etc.

I have a $50 bounty for anyone that can find me King's X - American Cheese promo cd-s.

Complete collections Acheeseb
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 2:18 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I'm pretty much the same. Certain bands I like to have the complete "studio" discography and typically don't get into live albums unless I've actually seen the band live myself.

I feel the same way. If I buy a live CD by a band I've never actually seen, it just seems like "See what you missed?" Smile

I do own a couple of live CDs by "unseen" bands, though, either because I got them cheap, or I really, REALLY like the band (i.e. Barren Cross' HOTTER THAN HELL LIVE), or because it's a band that rarely, if ever plays live in the US so I will probably never get to see them (i.e. Gamma Ray's SKELETONS IN THE CLOSET)
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 2:18 pm

I collect regular CD's from multiple bands. That includes all studio albums, live albums and compilations. Some times I also buy singles and EP's for exclusive tracks.

I used to collect anything KISS-related, but stopped when Gene got over-greedy and put out new stuff each month, in ridiculous varieties. I also used to collect Metallica singles, but stopped that also when every single was released in 3 different version in each country almost!

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 3:07 pm

If I like a band, my addiction dictates that I buy everything they've released. A few exceptions occur, like St. Anger, which I don't own and will never buy for more than $2. Also a band like Pyogenesis' discography sits incomplete in my collection. The doom-death stuff is awesome, but the gay pop-emo punk crap is retarded.

At one point I owned everything Victory Records had released. I think it was something like 71 releases, but then they sort of lost their integrity and started signing emo bands and mainstream crap like crazy, releasing a ton of albums. I couldn't keep up even if I wanted to (and I didn't want to). Now the label pretty much sucks aside from a few bands.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 3:57 pm

Eyesore wrote:
If I like a band, my addiction dictates that I buy everything they've released.

I used to be that way until storage space for my CD collection became an issue. Suddenly I had to start being a little more picky about what I spent my money on. Smile Nowadays, even if it's by an artist I really like, if it sucks, it's gone.
Back to top Go down
pricekillers001
Metal novice
Metal novice
pricekillers001

Number of posts : 46

PostSubject: paradise lost   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 10:38 pm

i have collected all Paradise Lost CDs/Singles/Bootleg CDs i can find to a few years ago. but now i stopped it, i do not collect Paradise Lost CDs any more. (i did not buy/listen new Paradise Lost even) i am not sure but i have about 60 Paradise Lost CDs.

when i collect any band, i am especially interested in Single CDs (including Promo Single CDs) as most case Single CD is not reissued. i hate any reissued CD which put Single CD as bonus tracks.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 11:32 pm

I have a LOT of complete studio discographies. The band I am the MOST completist about is obviously Great White, as I have well over 30 different releases by them, including full releases, EP's, live albums, greatest hits, singles, boots, etc.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 12:25 am

i'm not that anal about buying every single thing any band has done. buying reissues for albums i already own simply for 2 added live tracks or some different artwork. etc etc. i'll pass.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 8:24 am

Yea, I generally skip re-issues of albums I have already bought as well, unless they've REALLY sweetened it up with a bunch of extra stuff. One or two extra tracks isn't enough to make me buy it a second time.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 10:14 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
If I like a band, my addiction dictates that I buy everything they've released.

I used to be that way until storage space for my CD collection became an issue. Suddenly I had to start being a little more picky about what I spent my money on. Smile Nowadays, even if it's by an artist I really like, if it sucks, it's gone.

yeah if i like it i will try and buy as much of their albums as possible. i am trying to get all the annihilator albums

as for complete collections, megadeth, metallica, iron maiden
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 11:38 am

I have complete collections (minus singles, and in a few instances missing a complation album only) from these bands (probably more bands too, but these came to mind):

Kiss
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Hammerfall
Ultimatum
Primal Fear
U.D.O.
Savatage
TNT
Twisted Sister
Rhapsody (Of Fire)
In Flames
Griffin
Stryper
Seven Witches
Barren Cross
Tourniquet
Mortification
Deliverance
Brainstorm
Symphorce
Nightwish
Firewind
Dream Evil
Eidolon

Only missing one album:

WASP
Megadeth
Annihilator
Helstar
Accept
Dio
Scanner
Pretty Maids
Metal Church

Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 12:12 pm

I pretty much DO NOT typically try to collect everything from bands, unless I like everything. I like to only own what I like, because it all takes up space. Also, attempting to do this means obtaining CDs at an even faster pace than I already do, and I am already way behind in "knowing" my CD collection.

That said, I have most of the Iron Maiden studio albums.

I do own all studio releases from
Coroner
Atheist

And want to own all four from Sacrifice.

ack
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 1:48 pm

I'm with you Saxon, My KX collection is complete exept for Cheese. I have everything by: Testament, Tourniquet, Mastodon, Stryper, Bride, Clutch, Primus & Rush. I have many more I would like to complete when time & money allow. Believe it or not I dont own a single Metallica release.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Hamer12 wrote:
I'm with you Saxon, My KX collection is complete exept for Cheese. I have everything by: Testament, Tourniquet, Mastodon, Stryper, Bride, Clutch, Primus & Rush. I have many more I would like to complete when time & money allow. Believe it or not I dont own a single Metallica release.

Do you dislike every Metallica release? I like the first three and a half myself.

ack
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 2:54 pm

My biggest collection would be my KISS collection but i also have everything by VENOM, SAXON, IRON MAIDEN, JUDAS PRIEST, and 100 more bands for shore. My collection is very big.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 3:03 pm

I've just never gotten around to getting them. I burned my brother in law's copy of Ride, Master, Justice & Black & I'll get around to getting originals someday. Take that Lars!!!!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 5:23 pm

I go back and forth with this issue. MOST of the bands I listen to ... I just pick stuff up over time ... and in MOST cases, if I really like a band, I will end up owning all their studio albums/live albums. However, I many times I don't start out with this goal in mind.

That said, there are a certain level of 'favorites' that warrant me going out of my way to collect all the studio and live albums they have ... basically all the main releases. I'd daresay that about 40% of the stuff I listen to is this way.

Then, there are those bands that I am SUPER anal about ... so much so that I not only attempt to collect their studio albums, live albums, EP's etc ... but that I will try and get demos, compilations (even if I already have all the songs), OOP releases, reissues, as well as everything from all of the band members' OTHER projects, side projects, etc. There are only a few bands in this level of my music collection. Off the top of my head, Black Sabbath, Judas Preist, and Morbid Angel all fit into this category for me.

Lastly, there is my DARKTHRONE collection. It is HANDS DOWN my personal favorite collection, which I have kept up with for quite a long time now (considering my age). This means all the Darkthrone discography (including original masters, remasters, EPs, compilations, bootlegs, tributes) as well as Storm, Isengaard, Dodheimsgard ... and a few others that I haven't gotten yet.
Complete collections Dark%20Throne%20Logo
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 7:09 pm

I have like 58 different Megadeth releases...
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Complete collections   Complete collections Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 8:59 pm

To many to list but here are a few:

Primal Fear
Annihilator
Angel dust
Iced Earth
Nazareth
BOC
Overkill
Warlock
Wizard

Wargod48
Back to top Go down