Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slayer - Christ Illusion

Go down 
+11
mr.electric39
Metallic Blaze
Lurideath
SlaytanicPOWER
mc666
fingers
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
Black Coffee
ultmetal
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Slayer - Christ Illusion Empty
PostSubject: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 9:09 am

In the past couple months I have added Diabolus in Musica, God Hates Us All and World Painted Blood to NLTM. Of the three, WPB is my favorite, but I found the others to be good as well. I also have Christ Illusion and it's just not hitting me like the others did. What is everyone else' though on this album?

Metal student
Metal student
Black Coffee

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 9:26 am

I like it. I'd place it just behind WPB, but ahead of GHuA and waaaay ahead of DiM.

Of course, those are all behind DI, which is behind SItA, etc, etc.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 9:32 am

ultmetal wrote:
In the past couple months I have added Diabolus in Musica, God Hates Us All and World Painted Blood to NLTM. Of the three, WPB is my favorite, but I found the others to be good as well. I also have Christ Illusion and it's just not hitting me like the others did. What is everyone else' though on this album?

Not near as good as World Paint Blood - it just doesn't click as well with me. I have listened to it a few times, but not that great. The title of the album bugs me too.....
Back to top Go down
Black Coffee
Metal student
Metal student
Black Coffee

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 9:35 am

thejokeriv wrote:
. The title of the album bugs me too.....

It's Slayer, that's what they're hoping for. Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 9:37 am

I haven't listened to it in awhile but when I first bought WORLD PAINTED BLOOD back in December, I remember thinking that C.I. was just a bit grittier/nastier than WPB. For whatever that's worth.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 9:44 am

ultmetal wrote:

Thought the same thing on that album like I didn't know what to make of it at first but after 15 listens it has grown on me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 9:45 am

Christ Illusion took awhile to completely sink in, but I think it's a great record. I would rank it just slightly below WPB.

I'm also one of the few Slayer fans that really digs Diablos In Musica...
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:16 am

i think it's a great album. i actually like it a touch better than WPB. it is an album that takes a few listens though.

most of the people that don't like it are those that don't care for Slayer post 91 anyway. or so it seems.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 am

I think it's pretty decent, sounds like Slayer to me. That said,it's the only "newer" Slayer I have heard so I can't compare it to the others.You probably could take my opinion with a grain of salt,I suppose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:23 am

Ult, did you get the bonus version with the extra track "Final Six"? I love that song, wish it had been on the original pressing.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:26 am

No. My copy doesn't have the extra track.

Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 12:23 pm

CI is O.K. in sort of a 'return to thrash' sort of sound for them when compared to GHUI. There are some few hook filled tracks but most of them don't catch me the same way as some of the track from WPB do. Most of the tracks I enjoy were written by Jeff mostly (Jihad, Black Serenade, Eyes of the Insane) although Kerry wrote Cult and Catatonic which I enjoy also.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm one of those that don't like Slayer after 1991.

I've tried giving Christ Illusion many chances and it still gives me the same thoughts I had every time I have heard it.
Slayer - Christ Illusion 810647
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:07 am

Good album. Not Slayer's best, but not their worst either.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 11:22 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:

That's just it. It sound like "just another Slayer record". Nothing really stands out about it, other than the obvious offense and outrage that they had in mind with the lyrical direction. Can there be a more offensive and cold-blooded, careless song as "Jihad"? Honestly, I really think the band focused more on outrage than they did about writing good songs. Slayer certainly haven't lost any of their aggression with age, and there isn't anything inherently wrong with the music on "Christ Illusion". The music is heavy, abrasive, and undoubtedly Slayer. However, in comparison to many other albums in the band's ever growing catalog, I think there is much more to like outside of this album.

AND I think I just wrote my review. LOL! Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_razz

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 11:50 am

thejokeriv wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Not near as good as World Paint Blood - it just doesn't click as well with me. I have listened to it a few times, but not that great. The title of the album bugs me too.....

For me that's why I avoided it.... Plenty of other great bands I can spend my hard earned $$ on... that's just me tho...

Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Quote :
That's just it. It sound like "just another Slayer record". Nothing really stands out about it, other than the obvious offense and outrage that they had in mind with the lyrical direction.

Hey! Did you steal this from my review of World Painted Blood? Wink
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 12:10 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
That's just it. It sound like "just another Slayer record". Nothing really stands out about it, other than the obvious offense and outrage that they had in mind with the lyrical direction.

Hey! Did you steal this from my review of World Painted Blood? Wink

I found much more to like about WPB, especially the title track.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:26 pm

This album marks the commercial era for slayer. I didn't enjoy it at all. Now, it's nothing more then a dust collector.

As a matter of fact, it's on my trade list.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Gilbert wrote:
This album marks the commercial era for slayer. I didn't enjoy it at all. Now, it's nothing more then a dust collector.

Commercial era? How so?

Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 4:43 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

Commercial era? How so?

I think there was sort of a "comeback" or "return" hype following this album. The last album was in 2001 so it's been awhile and fans (myself included) were eager to hear something more cut throat than GHUA so we were all VERY ready for it to be released.

Maybe its the fact that Slayer got a few Grammy awards following Christ Illusion? i dunno Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_neutral
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 8:18 am

ultmetal wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

I agree.

I would never point to this album as the place to start with the band.

I would recommend "Seasons in the Abyss" or "Reign in Blood".

But if you are a diehard fan (like me), then you need to get this album simply to have it for the collection. I'm a completist when it comes to my fave bands.

Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 12:41 am

listening to this tonight, I still love it. Catalyst is such a KILLER track, heavy as hell, plus it's got a great groove. I don't really pay attention to lyrics...but musically Jihad kicks major ass .

Continuing my evident predilection for offensive tracks, the best tune on the album is "Cult". That's a classic Slayer song in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 2:50 am

I never gave this one a chance because of Kerry's obnoxious lyrics. I thought the music was cool though...
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 3:35 am

detuned wrote:
listening to this tonight, I still love it. Catalyst is such a KILLER track, heavy as hell, plus it's got a great groove. I don't really pay attention to lyrics...but musically Jihad kicks major ass .

Continuing my evident predilection for offensive tracks, the best tune on the album is "Cult". That's a classic Slayer song in my opinion.
i gotta agree on every point you made. this is one of my top 3 Slayer albums.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slayer - Christ Illusion   Slayer - Christ Illusion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slayer - Christ Illusion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next