Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Use Your Illusion 1 & 2

Go down 
+19
Troublezone
Gilbert
MoonChild
ZombieHavoc
Glower
MetalGuy71
Runicen
Red Kitty
Boris2008
Fat Freddy
Lari
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
bgsully
manny
Eyesore
Thrasher73
Witchfinder
corplhicks
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Empty
PostSubject: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 12:58 am

Recently revisited these heavyweights and, yes, I'm still of that rare breed in love with damn near every song. I'm curious what others here think of them. They get a lot of flak--which I do admit is somewhat deserved--for being bloated, self-important, excessive, and pretentious. But for me the songs rock hard and the ballads--save for the awful Estranged--are gooseflesh-inducing. I even enjoy it when Axl bows out of vocal duties. Better than AfD? Not quite in my mind, but almost. What say you HoM?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 1:08 am

I would give each album a 7. Lurking in those two albums is a killer single disc that I would rate a 10. None of the material is better than anything on Appetite, which is a perfect album to me. I wish these albums had more songs like "You Could Be Mine" and less of the Elton John epics like "Estranged."
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 2:17 am

I always liked part 2 the best.If you trimmed them down to one album it would be great.Still wouldn't top Appetite but that album is perfection.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 3:04 am

I agree that one brilliant album could have been culled from the two, but I've never understood the complaints, really. You have two albums with good songs and great songs. What's to complain about?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 4:36 am

I actually like both albums, and like them quite a bit. Great songs, great production. I can see why people say its bloated and excessive, that it is in spots, but overall very solid albums.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 6:40 am

I'd have to echo the opinions so far.
Bloated - yes
still good - yes
AFD better? - hell yes
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 6:47 am

Never heard 'em, except for the radio singles.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 7:04 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:

Same.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 7:54 am

I never really had a problem with them. There are a lot of good to great songs on them. I suppose a couple of unnecessary things do appear like Don't Cry with alternate lyrics and the annoying My World (which fortunately are at the end of part II and easily avoidable) but nothing to hinder my enjoyment of them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 8:11 am

I got "II" at a thrift store about a year ago and it's OK, but not a frequent player. I'll get around to picking up "I" eventually cuz my O.C.D. will not allow me to have only half the set.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 8:29 am

There's gold in those records but it was just all too different and self indulgent compared to Appetite which is such a tight record (and even the love song blew anything of Illusions away)

There are some fantastic songs though.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 8:32 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I got "II" at a thrift store about a year ago and it's OK, but not a frequent player. I'll get around to picking up "I" eventually cuz my O.C.D. will not allow me to have only half the set.

And people still wonder why bands release albums with a number in the title.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 8:59 am

Lari wrote:
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:

Same.

Same
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 9:02 am

Eyesore wrote:
I agree that one brilliant album could have been culled from the two, but I've never understood the complaints, really. You have two albums with good songs and great songs. What's to complain about?

I've got to second this viewpoint. Estranged is also a favorite, so I'm probably in the minority there. Maybe it's got something to do with catching these albums after they'd been out for a while (I don't think I really listened to GNR until my 20s, by which point they were not a going concern), but I can't think of the Illusion band as the same band that did Appetite. Aside from Axl, the players had moved on to different ways of doing things, there was more money, more time in the studio, etc. That first album is lightning in a bottle. Expecting ANY band, no matter how good, to repeat that was going to be a disappointment.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 9:50 am

007 wrote:
I never really had a problem with them. There are a lot of good to great songs on them. I suppose a couple of unnecessary things do appear like Don't Cry with alternate lyrics and the annoying My World (which fortunately are at the end of part II and easily avoidable) but nothing to hinder my enjoyment of them.

That about sums it up for me as well. Could I cut a song or 2? Probably. But I'm fine with them the way there are.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 10:06 am

After A.F.D - I bought a few ep's - 'Paitence' - 'Reckless Life'
'Moma Kin' - ' Whole Lotta Rosie' - etc - whatever - checkin em out -
by the time they put out these two releases - I was done with them -
It's too bad they just couldn't get their #@&^% together - uh duh -
They weren't the smartest, in that regard. Aerosmith didn't do that.
AXL rose didn't help matters. What a disaster it was for rock n roll. Time.
There was no more lightning in a bottle ....ha ha...just years in the studio -
whenever - occasionally -
and I'm sure add about 200-300 overdubs and tweaks - %$#@ band.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 10:08 am

I started a kinda thread about these a while back here: http://www.heartofmetal.net/t19256-combining-use-your-illusion-1-and-2-into-one-album?highlight=use+your+illusion

My main point in the thread was combining your favorites from both into one awesome single disc. Here is the tracklist I went with:

1.Right Next Door to Hell
2. Perfect Crime
3. Back off Bitch
4. Double Talkin' Jive
5. Garden of Eden
6. Don't Damn Me
7. Yesterdays
8. Get in the Ring
9. Shotgun Blues
10. You Could Be Mine
11. Pretty Tied Up

There are other songs I do like, but for the sake of putting together a nice, shorter, rawer version, I didn't really include those. I love "Civil War" and "The Garden", but damn do they slow down the pace of an album. I feel like a Civil War EP would've worked, with like CW and then Live and Let Die, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Sympathy for the Devil (not from the same year, but you know) and My World (Axl's gotta rap, man).
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 10:09 am

Also, what happened to those live shows, the Ritz, etc, that were supposed to come out officially recently?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 10:26 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Also, what happened to those live shows, the Ritz, etc, that were supposed to come out officially recently?

I think that was a case of wishful thinking. I can't find anymore info online about it. sigh

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 10:36 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

I think that was a case of wishful thinking. I can't find anymore info online about it. sigh

That's a bummer. Maybe I will just find a bootleg, particularly of The Ritz show.

Also, for the record, regarding UYI...I don't think any of the songs come close to touching the sheer greatness of every track on Appetite. That's just about impossible, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 11:39 am

I have no problem listening to both the albums, but I wouldn't say they are exceptional - but a good listen nevertheless.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 2:59 pm

Those two albums bring back so many high school memories. Haven't heard them in such a long time. Good, but way behing when compared to the mighty appetite.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 5:07 pm

I was so utterly burnt out on everything GNR by the time these albums were released I never paid any attention to them. Hell, the last time I listened to Appetite was probably 1991...until about a year ago when one of my co-workers played it while we were resetting the ballroom for another event. Can't say that inspired me to run out and get a copy of it...I'll wait another 20 years and see if I like it then. Razz
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 6:37 pm

If you combine the best songs from both albums together, you have something pretty decent. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of bloated filler.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 9:02 pm

What money can do to great rock n roll bands.

PostSubject: Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2   Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Use Your Illusion 1 & 2
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next