Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Passion of the Christ

Go down 
+7
Required Fields
TH Joe
mr.electric39
sovdat
kmorg
mc666
INVADERS
11 posters
AuthorMessage
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

Passion of the Christ Empty
PostSubject: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 9:22 am

i've just seen this movie a few weeks ago... and boy.. what a film...

I am not religious, but this film did make me think that if one man had to go through that much punishment and persecution for his beliefs then i'd have to tip my hat to him..

it just really got me thinking about religion and that is something never really think about...

I just wanted to know what you guys thought of this film and what was it's impact on you...

hope to hear some good / informative replies
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 12:07 pm

i saw it. it was interesting. however, i got the impression it was quite anti-semitic. i guess i wasn't the only one who thought that either. it still made alot of money at the box office though.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 12:28 pm

The movie did make an impact on me at the time. It was painful to see what He had to go through for me. It makes you humble.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 12:38 pm

I saw few cuts of it "The God Who Wasn't There" documentary. Will watch the real deal soon Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 5:25 pm

Even though it is not something I dont entirely agree with, I believe the film was very well done. The thing that I found the most interesting is they chose to do the entire movie in Aramic, which is believed to be the language Jesus had spoken if he had existed

Last edited by on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 6:08 pm

I thought it was dreadfully boring.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2007 8:40 pm

Ebert said it best...

"This movie is about 130 minutes long; 100 minutes, probably more, are all violence. This is the most violent film I've ever seen."
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 12:38 am

When I saw the film (when it was first released) I was in the middle of going through a divorce. It did impact me, however I was already an emotional onion at that point. (quoting Shrek... 'Layers....'!)

It was very accurate in depicting the biblical account of the Crucifixtion. It was powerful. I think most people have just gotten used to a sanitized crucifixion. It was a horrible way to kill people. I didn't quite get the anti-semitic angle myself. After all Jesus was jewish.

Definatley worth some more dialogue, so much could be said. However I would want to make sure of what the questions would be before presuming to pontificate.... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 6:40 pm

The movie was pure morbosity, like someone said above, around 100 minutes of pure violence and blood flying around everywhere. It wasn't spiritual at all, it was just like reality TV, an attempt (and an accomplished one) at touching your negative emotions, in this case, guilt.

A cheap way of making moneyl, and a lot of it at that.
Back to top Go down
TH Joe
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
TH Joe

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2007 2:57 am

Of course it was a violent movie. It was about the arrest and crucifixion of Jesus. I'm glad the movie was that extreme. It's probably a lot closer to reality than the way those events are usually depicted. It really shows the torture Christ went through for us.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2007 6:26 pm

So, apparently the jews are the lowest form of human out there, the christians are the most self-pitiful, and the "brutal death" movie was a big success earnih mega millions of bucks (I wonder why, ha!) - and I'm only on half of the movie now!

The God Who Wasn't There, anyone?
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28447

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 6:07 pm

Funny how a lot of the overly religious types condemn violence - even mild violence - in entertainment, yet place this movie on a pedestal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2007 7:01 pm

If one were to accurately depict the end of Jesus' life how would/should they deal with the violence? That is how crucifixion was, and the intent of the movie was to show that. Mel Gibson took a MASSIVE gamble by putting so much of his own money into making this. Many people thought the movie would fail, so I don't think calling it a cheap attempt at making money is at all accurate or correct. Make no mistake, it did make money. I don't begrudge Gibson or anyone that...it was a shocking and moving portrayal of what happened to a person many people, myself included, call Lord.

Also, how can it be anti-semitic to say Jewish people wanted/plotted the crucifixion of Jesus? Would it be anti-White-American to say White folk owned slaves in USA's past?? No, it would be stating a fact.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 5:14 pm

I haven't seen this movie, and really have no interest in ever seeing it. It will not do anything for me spiritually (I am opposed to religion) and have better ways to see violent movies.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2007 2:48 pm

TH Joe wrote:
Of course it was a violent movie. It was about the
arrest and crucifixion of Jesus. I'm glad the movie was that extreme.
It's probably a lot closer to reality than the way those events are
usually depicted. It really shows the torture Christ went through for
us.

Actually, I am sure what actually happened was a lot worse than Gibson
depicted since the Bible states that Jesus didn't even look like a man.
The whips he was beat with before the crucifixion was enough to kill
most men, and usually did. Those whips had pieces of stone and bone
tied at the ends of them that would literally tear the skin and rip the
meat off the body. It was a brutal scourging. Jesus was practically on
his death bed before he even got to the cross. This is why he struggled
to
even carry the cross to Golgatha. His body was fatigued and writhing in
pain. I can't even imagine the pain he must have been in.

The movie is a decent picture of a time in history. I don't see it as
anything against the Jews. Fact of the matter is, Jesus was a jew
himself. This film attempts to recreate that scene in history. Some
jews were against Jesus for who he claimed to be, some were not. It's
just a fact.

I'm actually surprised that this movie still creates these sorts of
strong emotions and opinoins in people as it's an old movie now.

Honestly, I've not even watched the whole movie. I've only seen bits
and pieces of it, including the entire crucifixion scene. It most
certainly is a gut wrenching scene.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28447

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2007 9:22 pm

I wouldn't call a movie that is only three years old an "old movie".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2007 9:35 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Fact of the matter is, Jesus was a jew
himself. .

Just in case anyone missed that fact.

I find it ironic that people who condemn things about christianity have never taken the time to either read the Gospel accounts or in this case watch the film. (which is a film). Are often the same folks who would complain about christians who slam 'satanic metal bands' without even listening to them.

Just trying to get the plank outta my eye and ignoring the speck in someone elses.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2007 9:54 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Actually, I am sure what actually happened was a lot worse than Gibson
depicted since the Bible states that Jesus didn't even look like a man.
The whips he was beat with before the crucifixion was enough to kill
most men, and usually did. Those whips had pieces of stone and bone
tied at the ends of them that would literally tear the skin and rip the
meat off the body. It was a brutal scourging. Jesus was practically on
his death bed before he even got to the cross. This is why he struggled
to
even carry the cross to Golgatha. His body was fatigued and writhing in
pain. I can't even imagine the pain he must have been in.

The movie is a decent picture of a time in history. I don't see it as
anything against the Jews. Fact of the matter is, Jesus was a jew
himself. This film attempts to recreate that scene in history. Some
jews were against Jesus for who he claimed to be, some were not. It's
just a fact.

Exactly, Ult. the violence against Jesus was attributed by the anger that came upon those who crucified him. He confronted them about their sin and lack of repentance and human beings dont like being told what they can and cant do(who does?). just like if I told people on this board that they were living in sin and needed salvation from Jesus alone, Im sure they would verbally stone me and verbally abuse me. Thats what happened to Jesus, but they killed him. Thats what the movie is about, as violent as is may seem. any true story made into a movie should be portrayed as it happened, or that movie aint worth a bag of beans.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2007 10:02 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Also, how can it be anti-semitic to say Jewish people wanted/plotted the crucifixion of Jesus? Would it be anti-White-American to say White folk owned slaves in USA's past?? No, it would be stating a fact.....
it's anti-semetic to give the interpretation that all jewish people felt that way. as ultmetal put it... "Some
jews were against Jesus for who he claimed to be, some were not."

juanmiguel
Metal student
Metal student
juanmiguel

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2007 6:41 am

as a religious film, IMO its the best of this era.

as a mel gibson project- its his most definitive work and we can all forget APOCALYPTO

sometimes i wonder what kind of movies mel would make if he were a metalhead. I mean, the guy is into epic struggles, action, violence, honor and
high drama. . . truly metal themes in my opinion (read:Braveheart)

but again, yeah, passion is one fantastic movie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Passion of the Christ   Passion of the Christ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Passion of the Christ
Page 1 of 1