Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dream Theater

Go down 
+17
MetalH
DallasBlack
Sutekh
shamgar75
Metal Misfit
Gilbert
iamrockerfun
James B.
manny
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
GrandNational
MetalRob331
Temple of Blood
mc666
Orion Crystal Ice
Metallic Blaze
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Dream Theater - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 3:05 pm

Very good band. I'm actually starting to add them to my collection. John Petruci is outstanding.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 6:51 pm

I remember reading a lot of hype about them online in the late '90s so I ended up buying Falling Into Infinity and Metropolis Pt. 2. I became bored by them very quickly and discovered progressive rock/metal was not really my cup of tea. They have a number of great songs but their albums are snoozers to me but I have to admit I picked up Black Clouds & Silver Linings out of curiosity (and in part because of the great special edition exclusives) and enjoyed it.

I'll be seeing them this summer with Iron Maiden, which will be cool, but I'd be just as fine if they weren't there at all.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 8:33 pm

I love these guys. I don't have the whole catalog, but I have a few of their discs. Love the Kevin Moore era.

Images and Words: Great sophomore effort. James La Brie's addition to the band is perfect.

Awake: My favorite album of theirs by far. It has some amazing songs on their. Last of the Kevin Moore era; I do miss his playing.

Some other albums of theirs I do enjoy:

Six Degrees: Good album, need to give it another spin though.

Train of Thought: This is a very heavy album. Almost straight forward metal. I think they wanted to make that one album that was really heavy.

Octavarium: Some really good (Panic Attack, The Root of All Evil) and some OK.

I could go on forever. Need to give the DS era a chance. Jordan is very good but Kevin Moore I think was a better fit.

But what do I know - I'm just a civil engineer.

Dream Theater - Page 2 604261
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 9:44 pm

DT are one of my favourite bands, and I'd agree that Kevin Moore brought something incredible to the band which has been lacking on recent albums. That said, Scenes from a Memory is a fantastic concept album which gives the band room to try some new ideas and paradoxically focused their sound. It's my equal favourite with Images and Words. Six Degrees... is another favourite, and whilst the last two have been good, they haven't been exceptional. The Score DVD is gobsmacking, though -each member is firing on all cylinders. I have the discography bar When Dream and Day Unite. One day!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 2:11 am

GrandNational wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:
OH COOL GRAND!!!

You met Derek in REAL life???!!!

Dream Theater - Page 2 798255

Ya, when I saw him at the table, his face seemed familiar, and then my friend told me that he plays keyboards for Billy Idol, and the light-bulb went off in my head as to who he was.

SWEEET!!!

How long ago was that?

Derek is bar-none, one of my favorite keyboardists ever!

Around 2008 I believe. He actually gave me his phone number and has sent me maybe 5 or so Cd's since, so I have his address as well. Very cool guy, I never asked for the albums. The funny part is, my friend who was going out with him is now engaged to one of his friends. Haha. The irony of it all.

Wow, that's a cool story dude! What cds did he send?
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 2:18 am

I like all of Dream Theater's stuff, but my top favorites would have to be:

1. When Dream and Day Unite

this is just a phenonimal debut! You can really hear Dream Theater's traditional metal roots in this one, which is why I think I prefer it so much.

2. Train of Thought

though looked down upon by many fans at first, this album in hindsight has proven to be quite a landmark for the band. like someone said earlier in this thread. HEAVY! This was Dream Theater's heaviest album (and almost my favorite!!!)

3. Images and Words

4. The rest
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 3:51 am

Train of Thought is definitely my fave. never thought traditional prog could get that heavy.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 am

mc666 wrote:
Train of Thought is definitely my fave. never thought traditional prog could get that heavy.

Dream Theater - Page 2 778825 Dream Theater - Page 2 778825 Dream Theater - Page 2 778825 Dream Theater - Page 2 778825 Dream Theater - Page 2 778825

I hope they play some stuff from "Train of Thought" at the concert when they open for Iron Maiden!!!
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 2:11 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Wow, that's a cool story dude! What cds did he send?

His last solo album, some DT bootlegs, a few obscure bands he's worked with and a 3 disk copy of Ayreon's 01011001 that I actually sent to Scott to review, it was a cool package, but I already had it: http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/ayreon.htm
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:46 am

Dang dude, you sure know how to make a fella feel jealous.

Dream Theater - Page 2 594227

LOL J/K bro!!! That's freeking awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Love DT and even though they started to loose me a little after Scenes From A Memory, the won me back with their latest masterpiece. I know many people don't like James' voice but he is one of my top vocalists. Also Petrucci is one of my all time favorite guitarists and Mike one of my all time favorite drummers. I'd go for more detail but I'm saving that for when I review their entire discography when my time comes up in the Complete Works thread.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 5:39 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Love DT and even though they started to loose me a little after Scenes From A Memory, the won me back with their latest masterpiece. I know many people don't like James' voice but he is one of my top vocalists. Also Petrucci is one of my all time favorite guitarists and Mike one of my all time favorite drummers. I'd go for more detail but I'm saving that for when I review their entire discography when my time comes up in the Complete Works thread.

The guys in DT are the some of the best musicians in the world. John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, and John Myung are all amazing at what they do. The most talented band ever assembled IMO...
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 7:59 pm

John Petrucci's solo album Suspended Animation is freakin' great! I'm a huge DT fanboy. Have all their studio plus many of their live and bootleg collection. My favorite DT album is Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:25 pm

MetalH wrote:
John Petrucci's solo album Suspended Animation is freakin' great! I'm a huge DT fanboy. Have all their studio plus many of their live and bootleg collection. My favorite DT album is Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

Wishful Thinking is spine tingling IMO that song smokes.... John Petrucci IMO is the best guitar player in the world the man can do it all....
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 12:35 pm

1.Images & Words 10/10
2.Awake 10/10

Too bad their tour with Maiden isn't playing anywhere near me!
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 1:22 pm

mc666 wrote:

+1

That was the album that pretty much introduced me to 'em.... I couldn't believe how heavy it was.... Great stuff....

In The Name of God was probably my favorite tune on that album...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
One of my favorite bands. Can't wait to see them open for Iron Maiden!!!

I realize that most here probably don't like this band.

But are there any fans?

I had their debut album, "When Dream and Day Unite" cranking while I was cooking supper tonight!!!

What were you cooking for supper? Dream Theater - Page 2 594227

Dream Theater - Page 2 778825 Dream Theater - Page 2 778825 Dream Theater - Page 2 778825

Dream Theater - Page 2 Dream-theater
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 8:07 pm

7thSaviour wrote:
1.Images & Words 10/10
2.Awake 10/10

Too bad their tour with Maiden isn't playing anywhere near me!

Get a ticket and fly out to Albuquerque!

Dream Theater - Page 2 778825
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 10:00 pm

I'm waiting to see if a friend of mine wants to go, if he doesn't I'll just order a ticket for myself and have a good time (too bad I didn't know about it sooner, I could have better seats that what I'm going to have).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 11:03 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I'm waiting to see if a friend of mine wants to go, if he doesn't I'll just order a ticket for myself and have a good time (too bad I didn't know about it sooner, I could have better seats that what I'm going to have).

Cool!!!! You;ll get the first show of the tour in Dallas!!!!! DT and Maiden!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 3:49 am

thejokeriv wrote:
DT and Maiden!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!

Dream Theater - Page 2 Headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 8:20 am

Listened to Octovarium on the way in this morning...it was like hearing it for the first time...amazing stuff.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 9:28 am

S wrote:
Listened to Octovarium on the way in this morning...it was like hearing it for the first time...amazing stuff.

That is a great album!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 1:43 pm

I thought that this was pretty cool:

I always thought that Charlie sounded like John Elefante, I guess it's just me that hears that or no one else knows who John Elefante is.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 am

I maintain that "A Change Of Seasons" (as recorded/released by the band in 1995) is the BEST individual song the band has ever put out.

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Theater
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2