Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interesting review of La Raza.

Go down 
+15
sheets
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
manny
mez
Black Coffee
ultmetal
Jesusandmetal23
Troublezone
Eyesore
Metal Misfit
tohostudios
Metallic Blaze
Temple of Blood
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Interesting review of La Raza. Empty
PostSubject: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 6:45 pm

"What was SAINT thinking? Very much like JUDAS PRIEST's 'Nostradamus', this release does no justice to their loyal fan-base. Why do classic bands deter from what made them great? I'll never understand the answer to that question... ARMORED SAINT was a great 'sleeper' from the 80' metal scene and still has TONS of TALENT... This CD, while not awful, is not what one would expect from these guys. It's simply not metal... It sounds like they were sitting around coming up with off-the-wall ideas to record... "

I understand if you don't like it but to say it's not metal?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 6:46 pm

I've heard a lot of people say it wasn't metal.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 6:49 pm

Bronto said it was good. He's the biggest Armored Saint fan I know.

I am sure it will be good. And I'm sure it's metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 7:05 pm

It's metal. It's Armored Saint with a few parts different and maybe more groove in some songs then typical AS. I think Shawn's reveiw was spot on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 7:07 pm

Definitely Metal...
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 7:08 pm

I think I posted this somewhere else on this board but here's sleazeroxx take on it:

Quote :
It has been roughly nine years since the last Armored Saint album Nod To The Old School, but we finally have a follow up. The new album is La Raza, and once again at the helm handling the production is bassist Joey Vera. If you're expecting an all out metal assault with this album, you'll be disappointed. In my opinion La Raza picks right up where the band left off on Symbol Of Salvation.
As a rock record this album is king. The drums are pumping, the guitars are in your face and at the forefront, but the real MVP of this album is the mighty John Bush, who has never sounded better. In fact this album will make you wonder why he reunited with Anthrax. Armored Saint still has a lot of left in the tank and La Raza is evidence of this. I know I'm not alone when I say I'd love to see Armored Saint as a full-time band. Can you imagine? They'd be immovable.
Which brings us to this album, it's a solid 10 tracks with no filler. Each song could stand alone as an individual but when put together and sequenced the flow is impeccable. From the opener "Loose Cannon" to the album closer "Bandit Country" this CD is solid from beginning to end. La Raza is a tribute to three things; a band writing great songs, good musicianship, and chemistry -- all of which are found on this album in spades. The standouts tracks for me are "Loose Cannon," "Left Hood From Right Field," "Black Feet," and "Blues". La Raza is no frills and no gimmicks, just a great band knocking out some excellent tunes.
Nine years is a long time in between records, which leads me to this question. Can you imagine what a band like Armored Saint could have done with the time and budget allotted to an Axl Rose? The sky is the limit, for The Saint.

Actually makes me want this one.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 7:31 pm

I've heard people say the band was never metal in the first place and fit the 'hard rock' category.

I don't care, I like'em and I was about to order this one the other day but apparently it's on back order with many sites. I'll try again next paycheck.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 7:40 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
"What was SAINT thinking? Very much like JUDAS PRIEST's 'Nostradamus', this release does no justice to their loyal fan-base. Why do classic bands deter from what made them great? I'll never understand the answer to that question... ARMORED SAINT was a great 'sleeper' from the 80' metal scene and still has TONS of TALENT... This CD, while not awful, is not what one would expect from these guys. It's simply not metal... It sounds like they were sitting around coming up with off-the-wall ideas to record... "

I understand if you don't like it but to say it's not metal?
Heard the same thing elsewhere.

Quote :
It's official, Armored Saint are no longer metal.

Their latest sounds like Kiss/Whitesnake/Crue/Dokken style rock with a modern twist and hint of latin. Kind of sad for fans of the 80's classics .. but nonetheless a good rock album for those who can get past the past and appreciate such things.
Makes you wonder if these people ever heard Revelation.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Even if it isn't metal (which i doubt) it's probably still good "heavy rock".
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Sorry, but "heavy rock" is metal.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 10:26 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Sorry, but "heavy rock" is metal.

Not necessarily... metal has a distinctive sound. Look at AIC, King's X and STP...
They have a heavy sound but don't really have that certain element that true metal is known for. There's a slight difference between bands like Sabbath (heavy rock) and Judas Priest (metal).

I don't mind when people call Sabbath metal because they were the (precursor) to bands like Judas Priest who defined the genre with a specific sound and look.

I'd say Sabbath is proto-metal heavy blues rock.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 10:31 pm

I can't wait to get this album. From what I've heard, I wouldn't call it metal. But it's mind blowing hard rock. I'm new to Armored Saint, so I might get March of the Saint and Symbol of Salvation first.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 10:43 pm

People don't know what heavy metal is anymore.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 10:57 pm

ultmetal wrote:
People don't know what heavy metal is anymore.

Take it up with Iommi... he has said more than once that he considers them hard rock.

If they never used the satanic/occult angle on the first record they would be pretty much like another Led Zeppelin. Iommi invented the metal riff... but overall they were a heavy blues rock band (in the beginning).
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 11:03 pm

Hard Rock and Metal are very similar in a lot of ways but... there IS a slight difference that is somewhat noticeable or else there wouldn't be a thing called sub-genre's.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 11:36 pm

It's metal.
Back to top Go down
Black Coffee
Metal student
Metal student
Black Coffee

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 12:01 am

La Raza is metal. Good metal.

Armored Saint is Metal

Black Sabbath is METAL.

People need to stop moving the goalposts.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 4:12 am

Black Coffee wrote:

Armored Saint is Metal

Black Sabbath is METAL.

Jethro Tull is METAL. Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 6:26 am

I think the album is fantastic. Instead of complaining, people should be happy to hear John Bush belting out the pipes again, it has been what 7 years or more since he last tracked a song?

The album is basically Bush and Vera's child and they brought on the AS buds to make the album in the studio. To me it is very much AS 30 years later. These guys made a great metal album, it is nothing bad at all. Shows pure talent with no fear of putting a few new twists in there. It is nice to get something different each album from any band, yet still be the same band, and that is what they did.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:19 am

I could careless what Armored Saint or any other band I like for that matter is labeled, is the music good?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 am

I honestly don't see how anyone, anywhere, could consider La Raza any less "Metal" than Delerious Nomad or Raising Fear...baffling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:33 am

I hope it is good. I am tired of being disappointed by new stuff from my fav bands from the classic years. I can list on one hand the new albums from old bands that I have listened to more than once [Helix, Whiplash, and Heathen come directly to mind. But not many beyond that.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:35 am

I wonder if the people writing the "not metal" reviews were even born when Delirious Nomad came out? Doubt it.

...and who really gives a flying sh1t what people call it?
Back to top Go down
Black Coffee
Metal student
Metal student
Black Coffee

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 9:34 am

Troublezone wrote:
Black Coffee wrote:

Armored Saint is Metal

Black Sabbath is METAL.

Jethro Tull is METAL. Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_lol

You're on the Grammy voting committee? Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_smile

S wrote:
I honestly don't see how anyone, anywhere, could consider La Raza
any less "Metal" than Delerious Nomad or Raising Fear...baffling.

Exactly.

detuned wrote:
...and who really gives a flying sh1t what people call it?

*raises hand while jumping up and down and saying "me, me!"* Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 10:55 am

manny wrote:
I could careless what Armored Saint or any other band I like for that matter is labeled, is the music good?

Well put. I've only heard one song off this (Left Hook from Right Field) and like it. A lot. I really need to be get this cd.

Last edited by 007 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting review of La Raza.   Interesting review of La Raza. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting review of La Raza.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next