Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?

Go down 
+18
Lari
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
Temple of Blood
mc666
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
manny
TheGooch
INVADERS
Orion Crystal Ice
AchrisK
tohostudios
Smindas
MetalRob331
MetalGuy71
ZetaReticuli
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 6:05 pm

So you guys don't think there will be another band like Iron Maiden or Priest or Sabbath in metal? Not in sound but in influence.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 6:16 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
So you guys don't think there will be another band like Iron Maiden or Priest or Sabbath in metal? Not in sound but in influence.

In my opinion no. They were all pioneers, there's not much a band can do now that would drastically change metal like those bands did. Since bands like those created the genre, nearly everyone can cite them as influences, which obviously can't be the case for bands 20 or 30 years after.

Last edited by snooloui on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 6:18 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

I would have to say no... Pretty much everything nowadays goes back to the roots or the pioneers and those guys were the best at what they did at that time. Bands nowadays are just carbon copies of each other and it seems what is popular at the time is the route bands seem to take even if they dont like the music.

I might be in the minority here but I prefer Barlow era IE over Iron Maiden then and now. Piece of Mind is still one of my fav discs ever but the others dont touch the magic of that album.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 6:20 pm

I think PRIEST and MAIDEN tweaked existing sounds in their own way, just like the many bands these days are doing.

ICED EARTH has their own sound I think. Their MAIDEN-ish album covers/mascot are their most derivative aspect I think.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Iron Maiden is every generation's "Iron Maiden". Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Dragonforce is this generation's Iron Maiden.

Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 11840 Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 395375
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 9:52 pm

There CAN be bands that have influence.

If we go by 'significance' to a sub-genre, then something like "thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain" is to rap metal what Maiden was to heavy metal. They didn't create it, but helped make it popular.

If that's what you're after.

It's what Conan O'Brien said about hosting talk shows. Johnny Carson discovered the concept, the others had to settle with "hey, here's a part of Newfoundland no-one has discovered yet!".

Same with a million other subgenres you may or may not like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Iron Maiden was Iron Maiden...and 1983 was 1983...it's a new era.

I think plenty of bands show their love of Maiden in their music (Mastodon, The Sword and Opeth come to mind), even if they're not traveling the same musical paths.

Maiden was heavily influenced by Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple and others...you can hear those influences, but in the end Maiden's sound is unique.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 10:59 am

no
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2