Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?

Go down 
+18
Lari
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
Temple of Blood
mc666
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
manny
TheGooch
INVADERS
Orion Crystal Ice
AchrisK
tohostudios
Smindas
MetalRob331
MetalGuy71
ZetaReticuli
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Empty
PostSubject: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 9:59 am

Epic metal. Iron Maiden epitomized it for my generation.

Is Iced Earth that band for the heavy metal kiddies today?

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 10:05 am

Iced Earth, essentially, sucks IMO. Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 10:12 am

Nah.

I think they've been around long enough to be lumped in as part of the Maiden-fan base. They aren't "new" enough to be the voice of a new generation if that makes sense.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 10:13 am

I would say they were if they would have stayed along the lines of Burnt Offerings through Horrorshow. They had everything going for them and were putting out great album after great album.

Just like Maiden these guys couldnt go wrong in the time period when they were at there peak.

I actually prefer Barlow era Iced Earth to Iron Maiden...
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 10:43 am

No. I love Iced Earth, especially Barlow-era stuff, but they're just not prominent or pioneering enough to be considered any generation's Iron Maiden. Iron Maiden are still this generation's Iron Maiden, it's actually ridiculous how pervasive an influence that band still has.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 10:56 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Nah.

I think they've been around long enough to be lumped in as part of the Maiden-fan base. They aren't "new" enough to be the voice of a new generation if that makes sense.

I agree.

Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 11:01 am

no

I really don't think there is too much "this generation's whatever band". I think the bands which have made large impacts are all unique and that is why they made impacts. There will be other hugely important and influential bands, but they will be who they are, and that will be why they are who they are.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 11:17 am

I dont look at it from an influential perspective here. I cant even begin to think of any band in the last 15 years who has any sort of influence on the metal world. Most influences come from the beginning therefore the term pioneers comes to mind. Thats what Maiden were IMO.

Based on music alone is what I base my opinion on. They had the voice, the songwriting, and the music.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 11:22 am

To ask such a thing is ridiculous from the get go IMO simply because of the fact that no matter how good a song, songs, image, albums, whatever it may be, may be today or in the past 15 years, it is not 1980 where metal is about to explode worldwide, and the kids are not hungry for it in the same way and in the same numbers..................it's completely different, apples and oranges..
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 11:30 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
I dont look at it from an influential perspective here. I cant even begin to think of any band in the last 15 years who has any sort of influence on the metal world. Most influences come from the beginning therefore the term pioneers comes to mind. Thats what Maiden were IMO.

Based on music alone is what I base my opinion on. They had the voice, the songwriting, and the music.

They had a voice, some songwriting and music, but it is Iced Earth voice, songs and music. Although I kinda get people asking questions like the OP, they really don't make much sense. I don't believe you are saying that that era of IE was a Maiden clone, but that is the only way I can find to interpret your statement above.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 12:08 pm

AchrisK wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

They had a voice, some songwriting and music, but it is Iced Earth voice, songs and music. Although I kinda get people asking questions like the OP, they really don't make much sense. I don't believe you are saying that that era of IE was a Maiden clone, but that is the only way I can find to interpret your statement above.

Im saying they had the same elements to there music. Not saying they sound like them Im just saying they follow that same path of just making great music.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 12:43 pm

iron maiden are iron maiden for this generation coz they're still going.
although i do love iced earth, musically, lyrically, vocally etc... they just not on the same plain as iron maiden.

both bands still rule!
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 12:46 pm

i remeber seeing iced earth and they got a very stoney reception
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 12:46 pm

No I don't think Iced Earth is this generation's Iron Maiden, I think when the book of metal is finally written by ULT, I am sure they will have earned a small chapter.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Iron Maiden is today's Iron Maiden, simly because they are not dead yet!

nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 12:56 pm

maiden sure still are kicking ass these days
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 1:49 pm

kmorg wrote:
Iron Maiden is today's Iron Maiden, simly because they are not dead yet!

Yea I feel the same way. Iced Earth at one time could have pulled it off but it dropped the ball when Barlow left. The Glorious Burden was an awesome album and Ripper did great in Iced Earth for the short time he was there. If he stayed I would have said maybe they could have gotten even more popular, but now Barlow is back and the last album was not that good. Hopefully it was just a small fumble. Otherwise them being the next Iron Maiden, I dont really see it.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 2:33 pm

i'm sure Jon Schaffer thinks they are.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 2:36 pm

NO!!!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:27 pm

No way. Iron Maiden is still Iron Maiden.

Not to say that Iced Earth are not good, they rock. But comparing them to the mighty Maiden, well...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:43 pm

mc666 wrote:
i'm sure Jon Schaffer thinks they are.

The man speaks truth.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:07 pm

I dont think so.Todays generation would have to pick a more flavor of the month band for their Maiden.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:15 pm

This topic probably would have made more sense about ten years ago. Anyway, to answer the question, if we're talking significance to heavy metal, then NO. Iced Earth is not the metal giant Maiden is.

But if we're talking about "updating the sound of Iron Maiden" and continuing their tradition of earnest and true heavy metal, then yeah, sure. Why not? They are at least one of those bands doing it.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:51 pm

It's probably impossible for a band to have the significance of Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Metallica..because it's 20 and 30 years later, metal is a long way from getting it's legs and such. So I struggle to really understand the true focus of the question, but I believe there may be something to the idea of......we want more bands that can do the huge tours, theatrics, the LEGEND, and have great songwriting? If so, we will find plenty of great songwriting since these classic bands......but the industry and even the fans in some aspects have sort of made sure that is a near impossibility again... Sad
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 5:22 pm

No they're not good enough. Iron Maiden are still around and as good as ever, they don't need replacing just yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?   Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Iced Earth this generation's Iron Maiden?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next