Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stryper - The Covering

Go down 
+48
metalheaded
stepcousin
Vaalwrath
mc666
Shawn Of Fire
Metalgiant
Lionheartâ„¢
Garyah
nevermore
exact33
MetalFRO
snooloui
Lurideath
wolfie
T-Roy
manny
metalhead777
Glenn Rogers
bigjtink
Olafsto
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
jerseyultifan+
ultmetal
FlyingV
DallasBlack
MetalH
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
Sutekh
Metallic Blaze
Orion Crystal Ice
Dave the Boss
powermacho
Troublezone
Lari
7thSaviour
krokus
Schbopo
akeldama
Wargod
Gilbert
Jesusandmetal23
James B.
Addy
thejokeriv
kmorg
Metal Misfit
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 9:59 am

That's true. I can't imagine updating their sound will gain them a slew of new fans. The only thing that'll happen is that their old fans will feel alienated...
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 10:01 am

Dave the Boss wrote:
That's true. I can't imagine updating their sound will gain them a slew of new fans. The only thing that'll happen is that their old fans will feel alienated...

That happend when they released REBORN, many of their old fans, like me for exemple didnt buy that album.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 10:40 am

Dave the Boss wrote:
True. That's what bothers me about this.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 11:40 am

Imagine Stryper releasing a black metal album, or in their case a "white" metal one Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 11:55 am

If it jams it jams Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 201269
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 12:03 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
If it jams it jams Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 201269

OH NO. A Vengeance Rising cover album?
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 9:55 pm

I haven't even bought "Murder by Pride" yet.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 10:18 pm

that would be cool if they did a covers album and then they could cover Deliverance hehe

if its anything like Against the Law Ill never buy a Stryper album again I detested ATL
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 10:21 pm

You should. It was the album Reborn should have been -an updated sound but with the Stryper solos, screams and harmonies. It's more hard rock than metal, but it's still a very good album, as it's unmistakeably them. A shift away from this (successful) sound could be either very good or very bad.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 10:25 pm

I still need to get Murder by Pride too as Ive heard a few songs and dug them but I think their best recent stuff was those 2 songs in 2003 that they did for that GH
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 6:41 am

Rumors has it it might be a Christmas album.

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 10:54 am

Addy wrote:
I still need to get Murder by Pride too as Ive heard a few songs and dug them but I think their best recent stuff was those 2 songs in 2003 that they did for that GH

That could be a context thing. Hearing the new stuff along with the old stuff kinda gives a different impression. Not saying they're not good songs...I think they are...just that new material mixed in with older material makes the newer material sound like it "fits" a little better...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 10:58 am

kmorg wrote:
Rumors has it it might be a Christmas album.

I was thinking the same thing. "We Wish You A Yellow & Black Christmas" anyone? Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:25 am

My guess is that this will be a cover album ...
... but if it's not and it's a "new" direction I seriously doubt it will be un-lame.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:43 am

The lesser of two evils would be a cover album. I'd be semi-interested in that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 3:45 pm

I'll take a wait and see approach. Mardel always has demo CDs so I can sample before I buy.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:54 am

A covers album it is:

Quote :
"FEBRUARY 15, 2010 - Hey Everyone, Just as promised, I wanted to outline some more details regarding the new Stryper record. We grew up listening to many different styles of music and there is a list of bands that influenced us throughout our musical education. Bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Van Halen, UFO, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Kansas and many others, helped to shape our sound and make us who we are today, musically speaking.

We grew up on the streets of LA playing every club in town from Gazzari's to The Whisky to The Troubadour to you name it. We played covers from all the bands mentioned above and we shaped our own sound from listening and performing songs from these classic bands.
We wanted to step outside the box and record a record that shows you, the fans, where we come from - our historical, musical roots so to speak. It's a side to Stryper that no one has really seen or heard before, or at least quite like this. We performed "On Fire" by Van Halen on a few tours and we also performed "Breaking The Law" by Priest on this last tour. The response was far beyond our expectations each time we performed these songs. People seemed genuinely surprised to hear Stryper cover these songs and even more surprised to hear Stryper perform these songs relatively well. This will be an opportunity for Robert, Oz, Tim and myself to loosen up and have some fun.

For those of you who may think that we're walking away from our faith - your wrong. We've never been more serious about our faith at any point in our lives. It is however important to enjoy what you do and lighten up from time to time. That's what we plan to do. This will be a fun record to make and we hope that this comes through, as well as the chance to showcase the abilities that we've been blessed with. More details to come and a specific song list and sequence to follow.

We're looking forward to getting back into the studio and more important, to seeing all of you on the road again this year!

Be well, be blessed and let the games begin,
Michael"

I'm actually stoked by this!

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:33 am

Lookinf forward to this as well. They played "Breakin The Law" when I saw them in Houston this past December and they did a remarkable job. The crowd did receive the song very well as Michael said and me and my buddy were thinking after the show that they ought to record some of their favorite covers.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:50 am

Ok now Im intrigued

I hate Judas Priest but I thought Stryper did an awesome job covering Breakin The Law.....

not to mention ive always been a fan of covers.....

Would be cool if they did a Deliverance cover just to come full circle
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 8:23 am

So I suppose, my comment about something more aggressive applies ? I wonder if Robert will ask them to cover some Bill Menchen stuff Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 201269

Thanks for the post Kurt. Now this would be kewl if they did stuff from this group of bands.
Quote :
We grew up listening to many different styles of music and there is a list of bands that influenced us throughout our musical education. Bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Van Halen, UFO, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Kansas and many others, helped to shape our sound and make us who we are today, musically speaking.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:01 am

Hmmm...could be interesting. Could also be crap-ola. Guess we'll see.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:26 am

I hope they don't cover Iron Maiden......

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:32 am

kmorg wrote:

Why? You can hear the influence in the guitar harmonies...especially in "The Reign"...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:35 am

S wrote:
kmorg wrote:

Why? You can hear the influence in the guitar harmonies...especially in "The Reign"...

Sure, I can see how Maiden influenced Stryper. I just don't think tey'll do a good job on any of their songs.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:39 am

Someone over at the CMR suggested Fight the Good Fight by Triumph. That sounds like a perfect song for them.

However, I'm not sure how I feel about a Christian band covering secular songs. It just doesn't sound right to me.

Razz

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stryper - The Covering
Page 2 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next