Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stryper - The Covering

Go down 
+48
metalheaded
stepcousin
Vaalwrath
mc666
Shawn Of Fire
Metalgiant
Lionheartâ„¢
Garyah
nevermore
exact33
MetalFRO
snooloui
Lurideath
wolfie
T-Roy
manny
metalhead777
Glenn Rogers
bigjtink
Olafsto
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
jerseyultifan+
ultmetal
FlyingV
DallasBlack
MetalH
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
Sutekh
Metallic Blaze
Orion Crystal Ice
Dave the Boss
powermacho
Troublezone
Lari
7thSaviour
krokus
Schbopo
akeldama
Wargod
Gilbert
Jesusandmetal23
James B.
Addy
thejokeriv
kmorg
Metal Misfit
52 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:17 am

TheNazgul wrote:
I'm really enjoying it and i'm hoping it inspires them to do a record that sounds as good as the early stuff.

Michael said the next album of all new material will be in the vein of the last track, 'God'. I hope so - an album like would be awesome!!!!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Still impatiently waiting on my copy to arrive.I hate you guys that already have it.Haha
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 1:35 pm

All the songs I have heard (via YouTube) have been very impressive...great vibe.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 4:29 pm

I have order this yesterday. Hope to get it soon.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 4:34 pm

It's on my shopping list...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 4:50 pm

haven't got this one yet, but it's a definite buy. Michael Sweet could do just about any classic justice.

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 8:36 pm

I didn't realize how versatile his voice is until I heard this.
Back to top Go down
Vaalwrath
Metal novice
Metal novice
Vaalwrath

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 10:22 pm

FINALLY just got my CD copy today at Wal-Mart for $10 bucks. I've actually been listening to it since The very beginning of January and this CD ROCKS!!! Finally, a tribute album that actually plays tribute instead of modernizing the crap out of the songs like a lot of new bands tend to do or to stamp their own brand on it. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing in many cases, but I digress.... don\'t know

They still manage to stamp their own brand on it and yet remain true to the originals (and in some cases improving over the originals, IMO) and not just remaining true to the spirit of the originals, which they do very well on this release. Either way, it's one of their best releases ever... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 8:42 pm

Waiting on my copy to arrive.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 1:16 am

wow - I might have to get a copy...

Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 5:54 pm

Fantastic album. One of my favorite cover albums and "God" is an awesome song.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 10:30 am

exact33 wrote:
wow - I might have to get a copy...

Same here. I don't own any Stryper, so this might be the one. I'm a sucker for good cover albums.

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 11:08 am

Just listen to their cover of Lights Out and you'll be sold.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am

My copy is in the mail somewhere. However, I have heard it and quite like it. I tend to enjoy albums like this anyhow, when my favorite bands cover songs from other favorite bands.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Ive heard it once and I think they came very close to making a perfect album of covers. I should probably wait until after hearing it more than once to review it but what the heck:

Set Me Free.....great song to kick it off, although maybe they couldve picked a different song by The Sweet since so many have covered this song. I'm glad they chose to cover them cuz both bands share a similar style vocally and it works here

Blackout....kinda sounds a bit odd, this kinda proves to me that even though the Scorpions arent really original, they are hard to duplicate, as shown by the lack of guitar fills between the lyrical lines (how many can play like Jabs). Still, I'm glad they chose a kick butt rocker like this one instead of "Big City Nights" or "Still Loving You".

Heaven & Hell....Kicks *ss!! First track that blew me away

Lights out.....killer cover but just like the Scorps it sounds a bit odd but not in a bad way, just hard to copy a band like that.

Carry On Wayward Son.....does it justice, complete with the great guitar in the forefront. At this point you know that this album is consistently awesome.

Highway Star.....ok, in my opinion this is the best song on this album. Maybe it's cuz I love DP or maybe they just nailed it.

Shout It Out Loud....sounds like they had fun making this track, although not one of their best. Michael says "You got to have a party' way too many times, I know Gene only says it once but that is hardly a detail. Kinda sounds contrived but maybe it's because only Kiss circa 1976 can do a song like this.

Over The Mountain....kinda dissapointed me that the guitar riff gallops instead of the way Randy played it. I like it alot but that was a bit weird to hear it played that way.

The Trooper.....Dave and Adrian would be proud. Great guitar work, although the solo wasnt anything like the real one. In fact alot of the straight up solos on this album were quite different than the originals, but 99% of the harmony solos they played almost perfectly.

Breaking The Law....Of all the songs they couldve picked to do by Judas Priest, I thought they couldve done alot better than this one. They shouldve done "You Dont Have To Be Old To Be Wise". That wouldve fit Stryper's melodic style better and also closer to their christian beliefs than "Breaking The Law". Nonetheless, this track keeps the flow of the album going, it's short and sweet and it rocks.

On Fire.....absolutely shreds. bravo boys.

Immigrant Song......great version, I like they way they did the beginning. Led Zep circa 1970 is hard to duplicate so they didnt try to, they just rocked it out.

God.....wow, this song is full of great Godly lyrics and melody and a very memorable bridge and chorus. This sounds like it couldve came out in 1993, in fact the whole album does. Mike's got his killer voice back. How many high pitched 80's rock vocalists can still bring it in 2010? not many.

after one listen: 4.75 stars
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:11 am

Nice Review Stepcousin,thanks man
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 am

I'm sure they did a fine rendition of these songs. But to me these songs are a bit played out and I would've preferred if they would release a strong original album in something closer to the style of their early works. I just can't get fired up about them covering these particular songs but I'm sure they had commercial reasons for doing so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:44 am

Or maybe they really like these songs.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 am

TheNazgul wrote:
Or maybe they really like these songs.

I'm sure they do. But I bet they like more than 10 or so songs in the world and could have chosen others but these were more commercially viable.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 am

Totally random question: anybody know if the new Stryper is being stocked @ Wal-Mart? I ask cuz tragically, they're about the only store in this area that even sells CDs anymore and I was thinking of taking a trip up there @ lunch time tomorrow to look for it. If not, I won't even bother wasting the gas.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:51 am

Reports are that some have had it and some haven't. May want to call if first, if you dare.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 11:53 am

TheNazgul wrote:
Reports are that some have had it and some haven't. May want to call if first, if you dare.

The only thing more irritating than actually being in a Wal-Mart is to call one on the phone. Maybe I'll just risk the drive, it's only five minutes up the road....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Chicken. Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 811939
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:

The only thing more irritating than actually being in a Wal-Mart is to call one on the phone. Maybe I'll just risk the drive, it's only five minutes up the road....

Risk it!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 1:27 pm

Did they have it?

PostSubject: Re: Stryper - The Covering   Stryper - The Covering - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stryper - The Covering
Page 10 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next